The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5840
Joe Cole would offer more than SWP. Heskey indeed did play well - he just needs a goal to boost his confidence.

Also I don't think Carra did very well, one horrible tackle, another bad one which the ref did not blow up on - when you lack pace your positioning is everything he was found out a few times. However he should be okay against Algeria and Slovenia. I'd still prefer Dawson though.
Reply 5841

I don't even...
Joe Cole would offer more than SWP. Heskey indeed did play well - he just needs a goal to boost his confidence.

Also I don't think Carra did very well, one horrible tackle, another bad one which the ref did not blow up on - when you lack pace your positioning is everything he was found out a few times. However he should be okay against Algeria and Slovenia. I'd still prefer Dawson though.

Yeh Carragher's lack of pace is worrying, I remember him getting left for dead in the build up to when they hit the post, but as you say he's got 2 more games against very mediocre opposition to get himself sorted alongside Terry who in Ferdinand's absence is going to have work even harder than he already does.

What worries me most is the difficulty we had last night breaking them down. People say we're going to win the World Cup but if we can't even pick up 3 points against Team America then we really are going to struggle in the Quarter-Final when the better teams are left in.
Probably all been said but that was disappointing. I just can't understand the decision to play Milner over Cole on the left, especially if he was feeling ill. Even more baffling was bringing SWP on, who was absolutely shocking. Cole should be a certain starter. Green's error is unforgivable, he should be dropped. Defensively we looked dodgy again, Johnson made a few errors and the way Carragher got done by Altidore was very worrying. I'd personally go with Dawson now. Lennon was average, Rooney and Lampard poor. Fair play to Heskey though, ****** his chance but did a decent job. And MOTM has to be Gerrard, lead by example and is a far better player in the middle than shifted out to the left.

1-1 isn't an especially bad result, but the performance was bad and despite a lot of people saying we'd be a different team at the WC we looked exactly like we did in the friendlies.
SWP proved why he should never have been picked today. Johnson would have been a much better choice.

It was a clever move to bring Shaun Wright-Phillips on. For 15 minutes the Americans were stunned, thinking Gary Coleman had come back to life.
england need 5 in midfield, 1 defensive, gerrard and lampard. Then one of them can push on with rooney
Your pic happens to me every breakfasat, lunch and dinner!
Reply 5847
Alevelstudent123
Your pic happens to me every breakfasat, lunch and dinner!

Who was that at?
Reply 5848
green is the worst
I predicted a draw too. Damn me for not putting money on it tbh.

Emile Heskey and SWP are as guilty as Green tbh, in not finding the back of the net, instead choosing to shoot straight at the keeper. ****ing clumsy.

This world cup has been a let-down so far - dull games, not many goals...vuvuzelas...just dull and very irritating.
Marcel Desailly, may I ask you a question...

If you're so passionate about Ghana scoring and winning a game in the world cup, why didn't you play for them yourself, given that you were born in this country...?

His celebrations were hard to stomach, tbh. What a clown.
The Stig

I like it. Rare wit from the Americans, WUMing the pants off us English.
Reply 5853
Kevin Keegan? :facepalm: Chiles is so much better than ITV.
Don't know if it's been posted but...

ITV show advert during match, match returns to show England players celebrating goal

ITV ****ing did it again. :facepalm2:
England take note. That is how to play football (Germany)
It is not difficult. Pass and move not hoof ball upfield randomly.
The Stig

Everyone does realise this is a joke right?

No one ever expected anything other than a loss for the USA from this game, so for them to get a point against the best team in the group, it is a victory for the USA, as it means they now have a significant chance of qualifying.

The Battle of Bunker Hill was a battle between the British and the Americans during the American revolutionary war. Although the British technically "won" the battle, they lost so many troops and officers that it could easily have been considered a victory for the US too.

To be honest, anyone who takes that newspaper image seriously is far more stupid than the "thick Americans" they think they're lampooning.

(Sorry for the post, but I'm annoyed at the number of people on facebook posting this picture as proof of American stupidity).
Can somebody tell me what he brings to the team?
Keeping in mind running at defenders is only useful when you can actually keep control of the ball without falling over.
bump
He's a smart player, he makes good runs, he can score goals

Latest