The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Super_Hans
You got my hopes up :p:

I was hoping for more of a response to my deceit :frown:

Shame.

Peep Show is awesome btw. Great taste, son. I should rep you for having such taste tbh.

:cool:
white_haired_wizard
I was hoping for more of a response to my deceit :frown:

Shame.

Peep Show is awesome btw. Great taste, son. I should rep you for having such taste tbh.

:cool:

Haha cheers, gotta love Peep Show. And I was more disappointed than annoyed by your deceit lol :o:
It wouldn't matter - Sky says a lot of things.

That and it's night. Nothing happens at night.
Reply 6023
Something I've noticed consistently in games involving England is the lack of movement in the team, especially in the middle. Several times in all the games, even in the qualifiers, you would see the English backline just pass the ball amongst each other because they never had a decent pass to the middle. Throw-ins were the same. I lost count how many times A.Cole was signalling 'Where are you?' with his hand as he looked for someone to throw it to. It's not surprising though, as neither Barry, Lampard or Gerrard are known for their movement without the ball. It makes the selection of Heskey less confusing as a result; he is a target man and so if there are no runners in the midfield, then why not reach Heskey who can hold it up and let the ball run towards the incoming Lampard or Gerrard?

The trouble is, when you come across teams who do have that movement and decent technique, they will more times than not play around you. This is what we saw against Mexico and certainly Japan. Despite the results against those teams, and even ones in the qualifying group matches, England rarely impressed in terms of creativity.

You watch games involving Slovakia, Chile, Mexico, Japan and even South Korea and you hear commentators highlighting the clever passing and fluidity on show - "real football", is what they said. You never hear that when England play. If England were a Premier League team they'd be middle table despite having players who play for the top clubs.
Reply 6024
Meus
Something I've noticed consistently in games involving England is the lack of movement in the team, especially in the middle. Several times in all the games, even in the qualifiers, you would see the English backline just pass the ball amongst each other because they never had a decent pass to the middle. Throw-ins were the same. I lost count how many times A.Cole was signalling 'Where are you?' with his hand as he looked for someone to throw it to. It's not surprising though, as neither Barry, Lampard or Gerrard are known for their movement without the ball. It makes the selection of Heskey less confusing as a result; he is a target man and so if there are no runners in the midfield, then why not reach Heskey who can hold it up and let the ball run towards the incoming Lampard or Gerrard?

The trouble is, when you come across teams who do have that movement and decent technique, they will more times than not play around you. This is what we saw against Mexico and certainly Japan. Despite the results against those teams, and even ones in the qualifying group matches, England rarely impressed in terms of creativity.

You watch games involving Slovakia, Chile, Mexico, Japan and even South Korea and you hear commentators highlighting the clever passing and fluidity on show - "real football", is what they said. You never hear that when England play. If England were a Premier League team they'd be middle table despite having players who play for the top clubs.

Yes. I agree with you. And we have to wait for 4 years later, that time we can see how much our team change!
England are OUT!!!! Thank God :smile:
Ask any indivodual who has atleast some form of footballing knowledge and he will tell you that a teams' midfield is the key to victory in any football match. The game is won in the central of the park.

This is probably why England lost this match.

England will never do well against good opposition if they continue to have Barry, Gerrard and Lampard in midfield. They will have problems.
None of them have speed and all seem to be sharing dual tasks; attacking and defending together.

This is unacceptable. The next England manager must take the trouble to find an English holding midfielder to shoulder the defensive responsibility and offer protection to the back four. The only suitable person I can think of is Owen Hargreaves. His injury woes is another thing altogether. Moreover, he's hitting 30.

When Joe Cole was introduced in the match against Germany, that was when all the problems happened. Joe used to be a box-to-box player in his West Ham days. He was likened to be the second Julian Dicks in the making.

Following his move to Chelsea, he was converted to a wing player. Chelsea were winning matches, trophies and accolades. No one paused to ask Jose why Joe was constantly being played in the flanks when he was more suited to a central role.

Nothing is absolute. Jose packed up(was he sacked?), moved to Inter and now he's at Real Madrid. But Joe? Poor Joe..

The truth always comes out at the end of the day. Poor Joe recently commented in Soccernet that he was looking to play in a 'more central' role with his new club, whoever that may be.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=803103&sec=england&campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=4716

Aaron Lennon only has blistering pace. Other than that, he's nothing special. Why Theo Walcott & Adam Johnson were left out of the final 23 man team, only those in higher power knows.

Why wasn't Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ashley Young given a run-out, let alone be selected in the first place? Why wasn't Joe Hart given sole charge of manning the sticks? So that David James can bid adieu to his international career in the most important footballing spectacle ever?

Fabio Cappello was never a good manager as many people have insisted. When he was in Roma, he had Totti, Emerson, Walter Samuel, Philippe Mexes, Cassano to win matches for him. When he was in Real Madrid, David Beckham came off the bench numerous times to single-handedly win matches either by scoring free-kicks or providing assists.

Current England players know very well that they will be selected to be in the first 11. So they take that for granted and who's to say that actually put in 100% effort when they don the England jersey.

The right punishment for this England squad is to overlook this players for the very next and subsequent international fixtures. This way, the current footballers who take things for granted will be in for a rude awakening and realise that their positions in the first place are not at all guaranteed.

Team selection should not be based on an 'old boy's network' but more on current form and work-rate. If this is not obeyed, the end results can be very drastic; getting dumped out in the 2nd round of the WC with a not so flattering scoreline is ok as opposed to getting knocked out in the first round in the next World Cup.

This is my ideal England team.
Goalie : Joe Hart, Ross Turnbull,
Left Back : Wayne Bridge, Kieran Gibbs, Nicky Shorey, Paul Konchesky
Right Back : Luke Young, Justin Hoyte, Micah Richards, Danny Simpson
Left Centre Back : Liam Ridgewell, Michael Mancienne, Ryan Taylor
Right Centre Back :Gary Cahill, Joleon Lescott, Wes Brown
Left Wing: Adam Johnson, Stewart Downing, Matthew Taylor
Right Wing : David Bentley, Ashley Young,
Left Centre Mid/Defensive Mid : Mark Randall, Fabrice Muamba, Jonathan Greening
Right Centre Mid : Owen Hargreaves, Alan Smith, Jordan Henderson
Striker : Gabriel Agbonlahor, Frazier Campbell
Striker : Bobby Zamora, Andy Carroll, Carlton Cole

You may disagree with me. Perhaps if you compare player for player against a stronger opposition, you may argue that these players lack in alot of areas. But football is a team game.

The players listed above possess alot of heart, desire and tenacity. These qualities were clearly missing during the clash with Germany. All thats needed now is the right manager to manage, work with the team and inspire them to great success.

All I can hope for now, is that someone from the English F.A sees this post and does something about this.

But in all honesty, I have more belief in the english press than the digits in the English F.A.

Gosh, pocketed 3 million pounds and he wants to drag England further into the dirt by requesting to continue being the charge d'affaires of the national team.

The logic seriously escapes me.....
:redface: really?
No more Edgar Davids. :frown:
Reply 6029
That post was one of the biggest wastes of time and effort ever :facepalm2:
I don't know if I've seen one as long and as bad ever.
Reply 6031
I think we can all agree that that post was one of the worst since Ramo and his masturbating over fireworks.
Wow, that's a giant post above mine.

Glad I don't read large posts.
There were points I didn't agree with, but the post was sensible tbf. It's a decent analysis rather than the usual opening posts to threads regarding England's progress :facepalm2:

I want Aguirre or Bielsa for England :sogood:
Reply 6034
You are biased with your Villa connections :facepalm2:
meskell
You are biased with your Villa connections

Not really. I wouldn't have many current Villa players in the England squad.

Although we have at least three English players who are better right backs than Glen Johnson :facepalm2:
Hi guys. Im outside of the UK. Im from Asia. I apologise for the long post. I just wanted to get the negativity off my chest.

I really hope England can bounce back from this defeat.

I envision Chris Hughton(Rep of Ire) and Steve Clarke(Scot) jointly taking charge of the England team one day.

I think they have what it takes..
Chad Storm
Hi guys. Im outside of the UK. Im from Asia. I apologise for the long post. I just wanted to get the negativity off my chest.

I really hope England can bounce back from this defeat.

I envision Chris Hughton(Rep of Ire) and Steve Clarke(Scot) jointly taking charge of the England team one day.

I think they have what it takes..

Hi Chad. Good to have you on board. You know what? I've been thinking the exact same thing for months now but for some reason or other, people aren't having any of it. Why is that? :confused:
When we needed him most, Own Goal was nowhere to be seen in this tournament. Disappointing.
Reply 6039
I read Gary Neville's column in 'The Game' today and shamefully agreed with most of it. :embarrassed:

Latest