The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7900
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Because Spain have decent managers and coaches, added to this Spain and Portugal are massive rivals. The same way a German would never be allowed to manage England.

No it's because Spain only appoint Spanish managers because they agree with me.

In the same way you'd never see Italy, Germany or France have a foreign manager.

No self-respecting decent footballing nation should have a foreign manager.

Only the developing countries who need help to develop their football to even a decent standard should have them.
Reply 7901
Original post by doggyfizzel
No one knows the names of the engine designers at F1 team it doesn't mean their contributions are not the reason for failure and success, their prominence on match day says nothing to their importance in performance. You are effectively saying the difference between performance in the professional age compared to the amateur age is nothing.

So how come we don't see Chelsea spending £13m to get a nutritionist or physio like would on a manager if they are just as important?
Reply 7902
Original post by jam277
But you completely ignore doggyfizzels point, we should therefore stop manufacturing of all teams kits, foreign coaches, foreign physios and foreign staff related in general. Should I really go on here? Where do we draw the line?

Although you'll just say this statement again anyway...

Well I'd be for it yeah.

The England team should be the best English manager, the best English players, the best English physios, the best English kitman, the best English groundsman, the best English coach driver etc.

But the real key ones are the manager and the players as they really determine how well your team perform.

Having a Nike kit instead of Umbro will not improve our performance so there isn't anything wrong with it (but it's still nice to have Umbro.)

Having Mourinho instead of Hodgson will improve our performance so that is wrong (using Portugal's talent to get success.)
Original post by TRS-T
No it's because Spain only appoint Spanish managers because they agree with me.

In the same way you'd never see Italy, Germany or France have a foreign manager.

No self-respecting decent footballing nation should have a foreign manager.

Only the developing countries who need help to develop their football to even a decent standard should have them.

Italy have top managers, germany have top managers, spain have top managers, france have top managers who've managed top clubs in their country or in europe and are much more proven/better ability.

If you wanna press the self destruction button be my guest. But I wanna see england do the best and if that's a way of doing it then so be it. Plus anyway being english is void, you just have to stay here for a couple years and take up british citizenship and you can then manage the national team. It's a pretty stupid point. I could just say get rid of half the german national team on similar grounds, that's how ridiculous your claim sounds like.
Original post by TRS-T
So how come we don't see Chelsea spending £13m to get a nutritionist or physio like would on a manager if they are just as important?

Ever seen a pyramid, the guys at the top would not stabilize the pyramid, they're more of the finishing touches and the more fanciful part of the pyramid(an open pyramid would be unfinished), but without the bottom of the pyramid it doesn't work. The manager/head coach could do nothing without the help of the other people. So it's still a moot point.
Original post by TRS-T
I never claimed they were just as important, I claimed that they affected performance. Companies don't pay workers as much as CEO's doesn't mean they don't affect the performance of a company.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7906
Original post by jam277
Italy have top managers, germany have top managers, spain have top managers, france have top managers who've managed top clubs in their country or in europe and are much more proven/better ability.

If you wanna press the self destruction button be my guest. But I wanna see england do the best and if that's a way of doing it then so be it. Plus anyway being english is void, you just have to stay here for a couple years and take up british citizenship and you can then manage the national team. It's a pretty stupid point. I could just say get rid of half the german national team on similar grounds, that's how ridiculous your claim sounds like.

Germany actually considered appointing Roy Hodgson as manager but decided that having a foreign manager would undermine their coaching infrastructure.

They would never have a foreign manager.

A lot of Brazilians wanted Guardiola as manager but the Brazilian FA refused.

Do France have a manager as good as Mourinho or Guardiola?

Nope.

They still wouldn't appoint them.

They all agree with me.

You do realise that if England win the World Cup under a foreign manager the we haven't really won because we used another country's talent?

It's a tainted victory.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TRS-T
Germany actually considered appointing Roy Hodgson as manager but decided that having a foreign manager would undermine their coaching infrastructure.

A lot of Brazilians wanted Guardiola as manager but the Brazilian FA refused.

Do France have a manager as good as Mourinho or Guardiola?

Nope.

They still wouldn't appoint them.

They all agree with me.

You do realise that if England win the World Cup under a foreign manager the we haven't really won because we used another country's talent?

It's a tainted victory.

That's such a flawed statement. English managers will develop, like English players, by working with people all over the world. If Rooney wins us the World Cup, is it tainted because SAF made him the player he is? Or if we changed our coaching system and based it on Spain's. It's just an English man using his knowledge acquired from various sources, including foreigners. Therefore, it's subjective how much foreign influence has had. Much like you're subjectively deciding that anybody below the manager isn't important enough to have an effect on the team :rolleyes:

You also made a statement that only developing countries should only be using foreign managers. Why? Because their own managers don't have the knowledge or talent to manage their national team.

Same as England.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
England's hopes of securing automatic qualification for the 2014 World Cup were boosted as Group H leaders Montenegro lost 4-0 at home to Ukraine.

Montenegro remain two points clear of second-placed England but have played a game more than Roy Hodgson's side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22802344
Reply 7909
Original post by Zerforax
England's hopes of securing automatic qualification for the 2014 World Cup were boosted as Group H leaders Montenegro lost 4-0 at home to Ukraine.

Montenegro remain two points clear of second-placed England but have played a game more than Roy Hodgson's side.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22802344

I think this result is actually more harmful for England's hope. The away game to Ukraine is crucial now. Can easily fall to second if not careful.
A draw would've been better for us. Ukraine have yet to play San Marino home or away, so that will be an easy six points for them, so effectively they're five points ahead of us. Ukraine are now probably the favourites to top the group, unless England start converting those draws into victories.
Reply 7911
:yawn: the u21 match it so boring. Nobody seems to know what they are doing and Norway just scored a completely nothing goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like the fact our U21s won the U21 tournament with 8 english starters.

And not a single one was picked by Pearce..

He's as inept as Roy.
Not so sure, I think the biggest threat to our hopes are Montengro. Ukraine was always going to be a big game. Direct 3 points at stake and they have San Marino twice. Basically they are banker for 6 points and can directly catch us with 3. They were always going to be a threat, with the Poland game in there too, had they lost and beat us they would still be looking at 20 points. Montengro basically have 1 easy game against Moldova, by which time they could basically already be out of it. I'm going to say Poland aren't too much of the threat because even if they put themselves in contention, by doing so they are going to need results against Montengro or Ukraine, which helps us.

Its a tight group either way, key games will be Oct I would think we can ensure we pull away from Montengro if we beat them at Wembley, and a draw between Poland and Ukraine would be a bad result for both of them.

Not a great thing to say with Hodgson in charge a man who seem programmed to think a draw is a decent result, but England need to start scoring more than 1 goal in the big games. We've only conceded 3 goals, but in doing so have dropped 6 points.
Reply 7914
Original post by Tommyjw
I like the fact our U21s won the U21 tournament with 8 english starters.

And not a single one was picked by Pearce..

He's as inept as Roy.

Am I missing something? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Am I missing something? :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our being Uniteds
Wow the U21 side is so bad...
Reply 7917
The defending is so dire. Just no positional awareness.
Better be 5 plus minutes added on at least...
Hope Pearce gets sacked, about time it happened

Latest