The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont think Rio would be a bad captain
Reply 1641
Yeah, he seems less gormless these days. Having a beast of a partner next to him at United has done him good, he's having a brilliant season. I'd prefer him to Terry probably, but i'm still sceptical as to how much a captain actually does?

It isn't like cricket where the captain picks who bowls each over, and changes the fielding set up or anything like that i.e. the manager on the pitch. Dunno.
Economist
I dont think Rio would be a bad captain

I think he would do a great job. I want Rio as our United captain next season.
Rio for captain :biggrin:
white_haired_wizard
Guys, do you think Beckham should be omitted from the current England set-up or kept in? If the latter, kept in on what conditions...

Additionally, explain your stance if you could.

I feel Beckham should get his 100th cap and i feel he's an influential, effective player for England, can still be, therefore he should be, at least, a squad player, and certainly not a perennial bench-warmer....

i'd like to gauge opinion as i have strong inclinations to write in to a newspaper journalist who is forever anti-Beckham, anti Beckham the celebrity, anti-Beckham the footballer, and it's increasingly coming to piss me off, that is, his obsession with being anti-Beckham. Hopefully i'll get a written response back and not some generic and standardized response by an employed secretary or sommat :mad: :cool:

"The case for David Beckham to remain an England player and not be skittled out on his 99th cap" :wink:

I think he should play if he is fit, he has experience and always puts his best effort in. I think playing for La Galaxy was a bit of a backward step though, would rather him be playing in the premier league or serie A or La Liga or any but the American league.
Reply 1646
BBC
On the day Fabio Capello officially starts work, Fifa boss Sepp Blatter said England had "broken a principle of international football".

"I have never seen Italy, Germany, Brazil or Argentina with a coach from another country," said Blatter.

This guy makes me laugh. Guus Hiddink managing South Korea, Australia and then Russia. Phil Scolari managing Portugal.
Reply 1648
Sepp Blatter is just a grade 'A' ********.
Reply 1649
NDGAARONDI
This guy makes me laugh. Guus Hiddink managing South Korea, Australia and then Russia. Phil Scolari managing Portugal.
Maybe Blatter should get in contact with the guy who makes the rules so they can stop foreign managers from taking these jobs. I think the president of FIFA would be able to help, having said that, the has been in the job for a decade and hasn't even proposed such a move so he probably doesn't feel strongly about it. Having said that, the president of FIFA might listen to Sepp considering he holds the lofty position of president of F... oh. Right. Now I'm confused
Lol.

nothing will happen they'll probably screw that up too like the offside rule!
Reply 1651
WaW
Lol.

nothing will happen they'll probably screw that up too like the offside rule!

You don't like the offside rule? :p:
Man, you gotta' have it, it's only fair... :biggrin:
Nah the rule is fine its just that they complicated it with who is active is there daylight and all that.
Reply 1653
Hmm, if Defoe goes to Villa then we would have 6 good options from Villa for the England squad.

Including 3 midfielders who are used to working together regularly (Barry, Young, Gardner) and 2 centreforwards who would get used to playing together (Agbonlahor, Defoe) and of course Carson as a goalie option.
Reply 1654
WaW
Nah the rule is fine its just that they complicated it with who is active is there daylight and all that.
At no point has "Is there daylight?" been a part of the offside rule, except in the imaginations of most crap commentators/analysts
Reply 1655
mhsc
Hmm, if Defoe goes to Villa then we would have 6 good options from Villa for the England squad.

Including 3 midfielders who are used to working together regularly (Barry, Young, Gardner) and 2 centreforwards who would get used to playing together (Agbonlahor, Defoe) and of course Carson as a goalie option.

Gardner as in Craig Gardner? The guy who can only just about get into half of Villa's starting line ups? :giggle:

You have to admire the way O'Neil has gone about things, though. Carson, Knight, Davies, Barry, Reo-Coker, Gardner, Osbourne, Agbon, Young, Harewood, Moore. All young(ish) English talent. I think he did this with one eye on the England job, but the FA went ahead and selected Capello anyway. ;grin; :p:
Reply 1656
Laevis

You have to admire the way O'Neil has gone about things, though. Carson, Knight, Davies, Barry, Reo-Coker, Gardner, Osbourne, Agbon, Young, Harewood, Moore. All young(ish) English talent.

:ditto:

Want to see a LOT more of this from managers! If only they all wanted the England job ;grin;
Reply 1657
mhsc
:ditto:

Want to see a LOT more of this from managers! If only they all wanted the England job ;grin;

I don't. :p: Well, i do, but only to a certain extent. Most English players are over valued and overrated. Besides, foreign players are much more exciting to watch (generally).
Reply 1658
what villa seem to lack is somebody like...lets say...zola or litmanen...somebody who can get the best out of carew young and agbonhalor...

barry is good but im talking about a creative attacking midfield player.

and i think kevin doyle would be better suited to aston villa then defoe!
villa have been linked with doyle!

defoe should make his way to city or abroad.
McClaren interview in The Independent today.

He's aiming to bounce back. Bounce back from his disastrous reign as England manager and become a success, in his words, once again.

Where do you envisage this 'bouncing back' will take him? Lower depths of the Premiership in the future?

Latest