The Student Room Group

Psychology confuses me

I have been doing revision and was wanting to know HOW CAN I BE CONCISE with my answers so l can get near full marks on them because l do answer the questions right.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

OOH GOOD QUESTION. I understand, I struggled with it too. May I ask what board you course is? I did AQA, so in that case I could give you some more specific advice! I'm not really an expert, but a couple of tips that could help more generally are:
- Use SHORT sentences. They encourage you to cut out useless information, especially if you have a word limit.
- If you're looking at psychological studies, use a small index card to write out details of the study and force yourself to fit the whole study, with key data and info, on the card. This won't just help with revision, but will clear your brain of the useless bits you know you can sacrifice if you're needing to be concise.
- Try not to be ultra articulate. Psychology is a science, so excessive splendour in writing like you have to do with humanities essays (which I always do) is unnecessary. The short sentences will hopefully help with this, but also, fancy writing tends to make you repeat yourself with different phrasing. If you avoid fancy writing, you can avoid problems like that.
- While revising, time yourself. In timed conditions you may be naturally more concise because your brain knows that you can fit all the knowledge you have in your head on the paper in time you have to answer the question. If you manage to do that, it'll also give you a lil' confidence boost!

Hope this helps, and good luck with revision :smile:
I'm a teacher and I wouldn't advise using short sentences.
We can only mark what is on your paper, and if you're cutting out information, you won't get marks.

You ned to be fully explaining your points with justified reasons and evidence, then link it back to the question.

Attached is a powerpoint I give ti my students to help them structure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending