Please complete this short survey for my EPQ Watch

Swabura
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi. I am looking for people from faiths other than Islam and Christianity to do this survey for my Extended Project Qualification. Thanks

1. What religion are you?
2. Do you believe in God?
3. Do you Agree, Strongly agree, Disagree or Strongly disagree with each of the following:
a)Big bang
b)Creation story
c)Causation argument(The argument that something must have caused the big bang and that must have been God)
d)Design argument(The argument that the universe is so complex that it must have been designed by God)
e)Evolution
4. Do you follow your holy book:
a) word for word
b)only believe some parts
c)not applicable
5. "Scientific discoveries disprove the concept of God." Comment on this statement.(Write at least a sentence for this please )
6. Do you believe in miracles?
7. Do you believe that we are the only living beings in the universe?
a)yes
b)no
c) Maybe
Rohit_Rocks10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Swabura)
Hi. I am looking for people from faiths other than Islam and Christianity to do this survey for my Extended Project Qualification. Thanks

3. Do you Agree, Strongly agree, Disagree or Strongly disagree with each of the following:
a)Big bang
b)Creation story
c)Causation argument
d)Design argument
e)Evolution
a) word for word
c)not applicable
5. "Scientific discoveries disprove the concept of God." Comment on this statement.(Write at least a sentence for this please )
a)yes
b)no
c) Maybe
1. Hindu
2. Actually, no
3. (a.) agree
(b.) agree
(c.)(d.) I don't know what they are
(e.) Strongly agree
4. (c.) Not applicable, not even read a word of it
5. Definitely, there is no scientific evidence at all to prove the existence of God.
6. There is no such thing as miracles, it's all hardwork
7.(b.) Come on, there are animals as well
Rohit_Rocks10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

a)Big bang
b)Creation story
c)Causation argument
d)Design argument
e)Evolution
a) word for word
c)not applicable
a)yes
b)no
c) Maybe
You should have made a form for this. You can make one at google forms. Anyway i completed it
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you believe in miracles?
"Advice on Everyday Issues"?
Swabura
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
1. Hindu
2. Actually, no
3. (a.) agree
(b.) agree
(e.) Strongly agree
5. Definitely, there is no scientific evidence at all to prove the existence of God.
Thank you!
Rohit_Rocks10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you!
You're welcome!!
Lauren-x-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry I didn't know what a couple of them meant - I hope I helped!
Spoiler:
Show

1. What religion are you? - Atheist, though I was christened haha
2. Do you believe in God? No
a)Big bang - Agree
b)Creation story - Strongly disagree
c)Causation argument - No idea what this is
d)Design argument - Don't know what this is either
e)Evolution - Agree
a) word for word
c)not applicable
5. "Scientific discoveries disprove the concept of God." Comment on this statement.(Write at least a sentence for this please ) They add to the evidence against God but don't disprove the concept; disproving the concept of God seems to be dependent on people's attitudes changing, therefore scientific discoveries alone are not enough to disprove the concept entirely.6. Do you believe in miracles? No - life is simply a game of chance
a)yes
b)no
c) Maybe
Rowanstruggling
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
not religious

no

strongly agree
strongly disagree
na
Strongly disagree

strongly agree

no
N/A
N/A
N/A

The best theology relies on that fact that metaphysics (and some further branches of philosophy) are empirically unfalsifiable. The question arises then can you disprove an unfalsifiable notion? obviously you can't. One should consider the ideas of Hume, Popper & Lacartos, especially demarcation and what constitutes as science. This will lead to the conclusion that religion is pseudo-scientific and not of utilitarian value anyway - so who cares if you can disprove it or not.

It depends on whether I take a dawkins or aquinas view. I don't believe in any 'accidentals' in nature, in other words any divine intervention. I see this as one of the weakest arguments of catholic theology for several reasons, but for expedience sake i will just suggest that if miracles exist in nature then they must be observable and thus provable.

no i don't, probably.
Swabura
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lauren-x-)
Sorry I didn't know what a couple of them meant - I hope I helped!
Spoiler:
Show

1. What religion are you? - Atheist, though I was christened haha
2. Do you believe in God? No
a)Big bang - Agree
b)Creation story - Strongly disagree
c)Causation argument - No idea what this is
d)Design argument - Don't know what this is either
e)Evolution - Agree
a) word for word
c)not applicable
5. "Scientific discoveries disprove the concept of God." Comment on this statement.(Write at least a sentence for this please ) They add to the evidence against God but don't disprove the concept; disproving the concept of God seems to be dependent on people's attitudes changing, therefore scientific discoveries alone are not enough to disprove the concept entirely.6. Do you believe in miracles? No - life is simply a game of chance
a)yes
b)no
c) Maybe

Thank you so much. The causation argument is just the argument that everything must have a cause and that cause is God. The design argument is that the universe is so complex that it must have been designed by God
Swabura
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rowanstruggling)
not religious

no

strongly agree
strongly disagree
na
Strongly disagree

strongly agree

no
N/A
N/A
N/A

The best theology relies on that fact that metaphysics (and some further branches of philosophy) are empirically unfalsifiable. The question arises then can you disprove an unfalsifiable notion? obviously you can't. One should consider the ideas of Hume, Popper & Lacartos, especially demarcation and what constitutes as science. This will lead to the conclusion that religion is pseudo-scientific and not of utilitarian value anyway - so who cares if you can disprove it or not.

It depends on whether I take a dawkins or aquinas view. I don't believe in any 'accidentals' in nature, in other words any divine intervention. I see this as one of the weakest arguments of catholic theology for several reasons, but for expedience sake i will just suggest that if miracles exist in nature then they must be observable and thus provable.

no i don't, probably.
Thanks a lot
Vav Sartrean Po
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

a)Big bang
b)Creation story
c)Causation argument(The argument that something must have caused the big bang and that must have been God)
d)Design argument(The argument that the universe is so complex that it must have been designed by God)
e)Evolution
a) word for word
c)not applicable
a)yes
b)no
c) Maybe
1. Buddhism/Calvinism
2. In a God
a) agree
b) disagree
c) agree
d) agree
e) disagree
4)
b) only some parts
5) Scientific discoveries provide alternative theories for God, but fundamentally fail to be provide certainty.
6) No
7) No

I hope my answers were helpful and good luck
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rohit_Rocks10)
1. Hindu
2. Actually, no
3. (a.) agree
(b.) agree
(e.) Strongly agree
Just curious, how are you a Hindu if you don't believe in a God. In fact, aren't Hindus polytheists. (This isn't a attack or anything, just curious)
Emashay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
1. Christian
2. Yes I do.
a) Disagree
b) Strongly Agree
c) Agree
d) Strongly Agree
e) I believe that we do evolve over time however I do not agree that humans as we are today evolved from monkeys.

b) I understand the Bible in a different way sometimes as when the bible was written, the world was very different. However the teachings of God can be applied to everyday modern life.
5. "Scientific discoveries disprove the concept of God."
The universe is far too complex for it to have come from nothing or to have always existed. I cannot believe that some mass simply collided and then we started to evolve. There must have been God's involvement. Or an outer entity who created the mass and enabled it to collide. People need to stop imaging God as an old bearded man, because maybe our God is so great that he is not a man, he is a force?
To some extent I do, however sitting around praying won't help, as you do need to put in some effort yourself.
b)no

I hope I was of some help.
Jasaron
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/?&utm...source=adwords

1. What religion are you? Sikh
2. Do you believe in God? Yes
a)Big bang Strongly agree
b)Creation story ?? Which creation story?
c)Causation argument(The argument that something must have caused the big bang and that must have been God) Disagree
d)Design argument(The argument that the universe is so complex that it must have been designed by God) Disagree
e)Evolution Strongly Agree
a) word for word
c)not applicable
I don't quite see how this is valid data... To answer the question, I disagree. God as a concept can't be disproven by anything because it defies normal standards for proof.

6. Do you believe in miracles? No
a)yes
b)no
c) Maybe
Swabura
Rep:
?
(Original post by Marshall Taylor)
1. Buddhism/Calvinism
2. In a God
a) agree
b) disagree
c) agree
d) agree
e) disagree
4)
b) only some parts
5) Scientific discoveries provide alternative theories for God, but fundamentally fail to be provide certainty.
6) No
7) No

I hope my answers were helpful and good luck
yeah they were. Thank you
Swabura
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jasaron)
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/?&utm...source=adwords

1. What religion are you? Sikh
2. Do you believe in God? Yes
a)Big bang Strongly agree
b)Creation story ?? Which creation story?
c)Causation argument(The argument that something must have caused the big bang and that must have been God) Disagree
d)Design argument(The argument that the universe is so complex that it must have been designed by God) Disagree
e)Evolution Strongly Agree
a) word for word
c)not applicable
I don't quite see how this is valid data... To answer the question, I disagree. God as a concept can't be disproven by anything because it defies normal standards for proof.

6. Do you believe in miracles? No
a)yes
b)no
c) Maybe
thanks!
Laurenloops
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

a)Big bang
b)Creation story
e)Evolution
a) word for word
c)not applicable
a)yes
b)no
c) Maybe
1) Athiest/no religion
2) No
3)a - Strongly agree
b - Strongly disagree
c - Strongly disagree
d - Strongly disagree
e - Strongly agree
4) Not applicable
5) Yes, because they go against the majority of stuff in religious texts e.g. evolution which we have scientific evidence for goes against the creation story.
6) No
7) Maybe - It's impossible to know until we explore the whole universe
Swabura
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emashay)
1. Christian
2. Yes I do.
a) Disagree
b) Strongly Agree
c) Agree
d) Strongly Agree
e) I believe that we do evolve over time however I do not agree that humans as we are today evolved from monkeys.

b) I understand the Bible in a different way sometimes as when the bible was written, the world was very different. However the teachings of God can be applied to everyday modern life.
5. "Scientific discoveries disprove the concept of God."
The universe is far too complex for it to have come from nothing or to have always existed. I cannot believe that some mass simply collided and then we started to evolve. There must have been God's involvement. Or an outer entity who created the mass and enabled it to collide. People need to stop imaging God as an old bearded man, because maybe our God is so great that he is not a man, he is a force?
To some extent I do, however sitting around praying won't help, as you do need to put in some effort yourself.
b)no

I hope I was of some help.
Thank you!
Swabura
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laurenloops)
1) Athiest/no religion
2) No
3)a - Strongly agree
b - Strongly disagree
c - Strongly disagree
d - Strongly disagree
e - Strongly agree
4) Not applicable
5) Yes, because they go against the majority of stuff in religious texts e.g. evolution which we have scientific evidence for goes against the creation story.
6) No
7) Maybe - It's impossible to know until we explore the whole universe
Thanks
greysychology
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
1) Agnostic
2) Unsure - open to the idea of a God
3) a) Strongly agree
b) Strongly disagree
c) disagree
d) disagree
e) Strongly agree
4) c) not applicable
5) I don't think that scientific discoveries necessarily disprove the notion of a God but could be used as an alternative suggestion, there is also nothing to disprove that a God did not cause these events e.g the Big Bang or the process of evolution
6) No
7) b) no
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.81%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (137)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.16%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.81%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.68%

Watched Threads