Help with A2 Nuclear Physics Question ?

Watch
Cinna21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Use following information:

Tellurium-128 is a Beta Emitter, with the longest half life known, measured at 2.2x10^24 years.

5) The Number of atoms of tellurium-128 in a 1g sample is:

6) The Activity of a 1g sample of tellurium-128 is

I have converted the half life to seconds and worked out the decay constant but after that I don't know what I'm doing, I've looked at my textbook and it doesn't help. I really don't know what to do I think I know how to work out 6 but I need the answer for 5.

Please help I'm stuck, Thanks for your time
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
DarkEnergy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cinna21)

Tellurium-128 is a Beta Emitter, with the longest half life known, measured at 2.2x10^24 years.

For 5, i would do n = m/Mr to work out the moles, which would be 1/128.
Then use n * Na to get the specific number of atoms, which would be 6.022 * 10^23 * (1/128) = 4.70 * 10^21 atoms.
Not sure if this is right tbh, we haven't started nuclear physics yet but I'm using stuff from thermal physics.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cinna21)

6) The Activity of a 1g sample of tellurium-128 is

I have converted the half life to seconds and worked out the decay constant but after that I don't know what I'm doing, I've looked at my textbook and it doesn't help. I really don't know what to do I think I know how to work out 6 but I need the answer for 5.

Please help I'm stuck, Thanks for your time
Nuclear activity A is directly proportional to the number of parent nuclei N present at that instant:

A = \lambda N

\lambda depends on half-life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (18)
40%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
8.89%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (2)
4.44%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (11)
24.44%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (5)
11.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (5)
11.11%

Watched Threads