Turn on thread page Beta

Fitness during matches.. please someone help! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Whats the best way to get fit for a football match where your on the pitch for 90 minutes?? i really need a way soon to get really fit so i can not be tired during matches!! thank you!

Ever heard of fartlek (speed-play) training?

Its the best way of preparing for a footy season. Basically you do the program 3 times a week, and just go on a run as normal but say jog for 30 seconds, walk for 10, sprint for 10etc...

Then as you progress increase time of sprint, decrease time of walking etc.

Sorry if that's not clear, google fartlek.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!!

ReputationRep:
    God i hate fartlec - does great things for fitness but defiantely a case where mental strength is important.

ReputationRep:
    Just do some cirtcuit training at your local sports centre, helps for pretty much any sport. It'll hammer you but its effective.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah fartlek is the way to go, especially for football because thats how you operate on the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got lots of good excercises from rugby fitness:
    1) take a rectangle of a football pitc, probably work on like a penalty area. Slowly jog up 1 of the long sides, when you hit the corner, turn and accelerate into a full sprint and maintain that to the opposite corner, jog up the straight again and repeat ALOT of times. You can also zigzag up and back down a rugby pitch doing that.

2) Go on gras or an aqua turf surface and divide a 15-25m area into 3 sections. Start at one end, run to the first line, slide over the line, touch the line with your chest, pop back up again ASAP and run back to the start, then repeat at the next line(going back right to the start) and the next one. Rest for the equivalent of 2 sets, then repeat. Do it 3 times.

3) get 2 lines about 10m apart and a partner. 1 of you stands on each line. You sprint to your partner and when you reach him he sprints to the other side. When he gets there you sprint to him and back, then he does it. So you build up the amount of times you run between the lines(sprinting full blast on each one) until you get to 5-6(or higher if your not totally blown out) then you go back down to 1 again.

These are the types of excercises we do for rugby fitness once a week(plus a bunch of rugby trainings where we do bits) and I have ever seen a team outlast us, and very few have matched us.

ReputationRep:
    You at the university in Oxford? If so I can put you in touch with a few people who are doing "pre-season" work for football prior to the university starting back.

Basically Fartlek is good as already mentioned, HIIT is also good, and is pretty similar to fartlek. Circuit training, not so sure on - yeah as part of a routine of other stuff but by itself won't really help you much for football specifically.

ReputationRep:
    Just try and play as much football as you can. I find that what ever I do in terms of training I can never get to 100% match fit until a couple of games in.

ReputationRep:
    Fartlek is awesome.

Tabata intervals are also gruesome, not that sport specific, but they will benefit pretty much anything really.

That aside, play more football.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.