Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Whenever i quit the Fifa 07 demo, Fifa 07 or now the Fifa 08 demo, my computer freezes up. The screen shows my mouse pointer in the centre, a blue square about 2/3 of the screen in the middle and a thick black border around this. When i minimised the game and closed it from taskmanager the colours and resolution of the screen got messed up and i got this error:

"The ati2dvag display driver has stopped working normally. Please reboot"

All was fine for the display after rebooting.
    I uninstalled the display driver and then re-installed it from the original disc i got 5 years ago. However my copmuter still freezes when i close Fifa! =|
    This is pretty annoying.

My video card is an Ati Radeon 9000 64mb and I can't find updated drivers anywhere for it.

(I assume the problem is something to do with display? But why would that freeze me comp?)

Help. =)

ReputationRep:
    Try these installing these ones (best uninstalling the old ones before):
    http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/x...rer300-xp.html

Then reboot, then run the game, and see if it does it again...

ReputationRep:
    When i try to install those it says: "Severe: inf error Video driver not found"

Then it says: "Severe: setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"

Help more please

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm....OK, does that installer 'unzip' the files somewhere before it tries to install them?

ReputationRep:
    - Run the setup, let it fail
    - Right-click the desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > Adapter > Properties > Driver > Update Driver
    - No, not this time
    - Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
    - Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install
    - Have Disk...
    - Browse
    - Look in C:\ATI\SUPPORT\6-11-pre-r300_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_38185\2KXP_INF (wherever it extracts the driver files)
    - Select the .inf file
    - Select your graphics card model (or nearest) from the list that appears
    - Ignore any warning prompts about not being able to verify the driver

Seems to work for some others who have had this problem. May do for you?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys! Lookin promising. I have some good news and bad news:

The good news... that worked, yay =) and fifa no longer crashes!!! =D

The bad news... i've lost my natural resolution and it doesn't seem to be an option to change it to. =SS

ReputationRep:
    What, even when you right click the desktop -> properties -> settings tab??

ReputationRep:
    Yup! the max resolution it lets me have now is 1280*1024.
    My native resolution is 1400*1050

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure how it works with ATI cards, with my nVidia you can add a "custom resoultion", or theres a box you can uncheck that says "hide modes this monitor cannot support" - that enables a load more higher resolutions.

Does the ATI settings have any sort of checkbox like the latter comment??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noaksey)
    I'm not too sure how it works with ATI cards, with my nVidia you can add a "custom resoultion", or theres a box you can uncheck that says "hide modes this monitor cannot support" - that enables a load more higher resolutions.

Does the ATI settings have any sort of checkbox like the latter comment??
    There was for the refresh rate, but not the resolution.

I've found some unofficial drivers from Omegadrivers.net and they seem to work and support 1400 resolution.

Cheers for your help dude!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 31, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.