saskiamcg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm rubbish at structuring essays and I feel I can't speak to my lecturer because I can never understand anything that shes talking about because it's far too philosophical.
All I have been given is 'does class still matter?' and no learning materials to go on from there. I have read what feels like a million books and journals but I don't understand the language at all. I'm really struggling and this is not how I want to go into the New Year
SirDigbyChicken
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't feel too bad I'm sure a lot of people are struggling with it too. It's quite an open question but that's not necessarily a bad thing as it means you can take it any direction you want. One book I would recommend is "chavs: the demonisation of the working class" by owen jones. I think pierre bourdieu has written a lot about class you should check him out. and you can't talk about class without talking about marx. In terms of structuring it, I would just say divide your essay into to halves, one arguing that class does still matter and one arguing that it doesn't. You could argue that it does matter because the social class an individual is born into affects important aspects such as the quality of their education which has an impact on the career that an individual ends up in.
You could argue that class doesn't matter as we now live in a meritocratic society where social position is determined by an individuals ability and willingness to work hard. Go over your reading list and pick out anything that looks helpful or relevant and I'm sure you'll do fine.
Hope this helps,
a mediocre 2nd year sociology student
saskiamcg
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by saskiamcg)
I'm rubbish at structuring essays and I feel I can't speak to my lecturer because I can never understand anything that shes talking about because it's far too philosophical.
All I have been given is 'does class still matter?' and no learning materials to go on from there. I have read what feels like a million books and journals but I don't understand the language at all. I'm really struggling and this is not how I want to go into the New Year
Thank you so much you've no idea how much help that is!!x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.35%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (78)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (102)
36.69%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (37)
13.31%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.6%

Watched Threads