The Student Room Group

Can I apply more than 1 courses in the same uni?

Hi guys, I want to know if multiple applications will lower my chance to be accepted, and the courses belong to different departments.
Original post by espoison
Hi guys, I want to know if multiple applications will lower my chance to be accepted, and the courses belong to different departments.

I see you've put this in postgraduate applications, which I can't offer specific advice for, but I applied to two undergraduate courses at UCL in two different departments (although there was some crossover) and was accepted by both.
Reply 2
Original post by Edminzodo
I see you've put this in postgraduate applications, which I can't offer specific advice for, but I applied to two undergraduate courses at UCL in two different departments (although there was some crossover) and was accepted by both.
Nice,thank you.
Original post by espoison

There's no way of knowing. In practice, it is unlikely, if you are applying to different departments, that the internal processes will connect and see that two applications have been made - if the applications are not centralised. if they are centralised (common with undergrad apps, less so with PG apps) then they will be able to tell.

Then, it depends on the internal departmental approach to multiple applications. in most cases, if the applications are coherent, it won't make much difference except perhaps in rules over which must be accepted, transfers, scholarships etc. However, in competitive universities where some courses have exceptionally high entry standards/competition, making duplicate applications is often frowned upon, as it is seen as an approach to reverse-engineering your way onto a more popular course, or a simple lack of academic focus.
I think it depends also on the courses. In case they are both covering your area of interest, it would make sense. In case they are completely different courses, leading into two totally different directions, it probably can come accross as random application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending