Turn on thread page Beta

Homophobia - not homosexuality watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Before moaning at me for starting yet another homosexuality thread, I wanted to look at a different view, having seen many other members' quite blatant prejudices on this forum. Why is it that many straight people are so against homosexuality? It does not touch their lives in any way, it does not hurt anyone and it is something that can be very difficult for homosexuals to come to terms with. Therefore, shouldn't straight people be more sensitive to this before condemning homosexuality? I could understand society's reluctance to tolerate homosexuality if it hurt others and was something sordid, like active paedophilia (i.e. those who abuse children). Please discuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    Before moaning at me for starting yet another homosexuality thread, I wanted to look at a different view, having seen many other members' quite blatant prejudices on this forum. Why is it that many straight people are so against homosexuality? It does not touch their lives in any way, it does not hurt anyone and it is something that can be very difficult for homosexuals to come to terms with. Therefore, shouldn't straight people be more sensitive to this before condemning homosexuality? I could understand society's reluctance to tolerate homosexuality if it hurt others and was something sordid, like active paedophilia (i.e. those who abuse children). Please discuss.
    Why are some straight people against it? Generally the gay people are more understanding

People have always been afraid of what is different and what they don't understand. I always found it ironic that some people claim that gay marriage would undermine marriage. I thought that it would reinforce it since the gay people were just wanting the same opportunity to show serious commitment to each other.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of heterosexual males are against homosexuals because they see it improves their macho image. They think that by being homophobic that they have superiority; and they need this feeling to maintain their ego!

To them I say: Push your luck and I'll knock you off your ego and let you land on your IQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamas)
    Why are some straight people against it? Generally the gay people are more understanding

People have always been afraid of what is different and what they don't understand. I always found it ironic that some people claim that gay marriage would undermine marriage. I thought that it would reinforce it since the gay people were just wanting the same opportunity to show serious commitment to each other.
    Exactly. Gay marriage needs to be legalised, because it's completely discriminatory. Why can't people accept that homosexuality is NEVER going to go away. EVER.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't people accept that homosexuality is NEVER going to go away. EVER.
    I think people who are afraid of it just try to pretend it doesn't exist. Because they choose to ignore it they can't accept that it will never go away.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Gay marriage needs to be legalised, because it's completely discriminatory. Why can't people accept that homosexuality is NEVER going to go away. EVER.
    Because they're crazy. They have some imaginary friend called 'God' whispering into their ear telling them all sorts of crazy stuff!

ReputationRep:
    in fact, alot of the anti gay marriage argument has nothing to do with being homophobic or being uncomfortable with homosexuality. but ill let you read up first.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're crazy. They have some imaginary friend called 'God' whispering into their ear telling them all sorts of crazy stuff!
    surely, if god is the initiative behind it then they are rejecting anything stating 'love thy neighbour' and to embrace everyone? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    in fact, alot of the anti gay marriage argument has nothing to do with being homophobic or being uncomfortable with homosexuality. but ill let you read up first.
    Of course the arguments has nothing to do with homophobia. Noone is stupid enough to say so directly. However, this does not mean that the motives are not homophobic. I mean seriously,does anyone actually beleive that gay marriage would weaken the position of marriage in society? Please. Its such a desperate atempt to conceal the homophobic motives behind prohibiting gay marriage that it is completely rediculous. What if people had claimed that inter-racial marriages weaken the position of marriage in society? Would that be acceptable? In the end all "arguments" against gay marriage end up in the same silly premise, namely that some people think its scary because its not the way they were used to things being. Now, is that a solid reason to deprive some couples of the right to marry? Hardly...

ReputationRep:
    People have always been afraid of what is different and what they don't understand.
    Reminds me of Magnus

A lot? Sure many who do not like gay marriage are not homophobic especially, but when they don't adhere to such 'values' themselves such as adultery and using religious reasons when they themselves aren't, is only used as a disguise to hide their homophobia.

But if I said that interracial couples should not be together I will condemned as racist. In fact, I could believe that races in their own should be 'pure'. But I don't.

ReputationRep:
    1. Having significant first-hand experience of the matter, "reading up" is hardly necessary.
    2. I object to being patronised by some idiotic nobody who has no grasp of spelling, punctuation or grammar.

ReputationRep:
    Although there are tax benifits ect. to getting married,and therse are an implication to gay marriage (I assume this is what you are getting at) your average man on the street isn't going to be aware that alowing homosexual marriage will be unfair on different-sex couples who choose to cohabitate, so for most people I think there problem with same-sex marriage is down to homophobia.

ReputationRep:
    I have gay friends, bi friends, straight friends blah blah blah. If i dislike someone, its because of an action they have taken. Discrimination just because people are "different" is wrong, but i can't see it disappearing. People are entitled to their opinions. The majority of people i know do not have a problem with homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    so for most people I think there problem with same-sex marriage is down to homophobia.
    i meant argument in the strictest sense. those with rational opinions against gay marriage rarely revert to a suggestion of homophobia. i also think, while unpopular, religious views have to be accepted and tolerated. this includes respecting someones right to disagree with homosexuality based on their faith.

ReputationRep:
    1. Having significant first-hand experience of the matter, "reading up" is hardly necessary.
    first hand experience of same-sex marriage, in the UK?

2. I object to being patronised by some idiotic nobody.
    what has Biggles done now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Reminds me of Magnus

A lot? Sure many who do not like gay marriage are not homophobic especially, but when they don't adhere to such 'values' themselves such as adultery and using religious reasons when they themselves aren't, is only used as a disguise to hide their homophobia.

But if I said that interracial couples should not be together I will condemned as racist. In fact, I could believe that races in their own should be 'pure'. But I don't.
    the same sex marriage debate, in the US for example, revolves around legal, legislative, constitutional issues, questions over rights, values in american society etc. from what ive read, there is whole wealth of counter opinion that can be held and discussed, irrespective of ones feelings toward homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    you appear to be equally tolerant.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't bother reading any of the thread.

However the people who I've come accross who are anti-gay and use excuses such as "well you wouldn't like to be locked in a room with one of them alone" are definitely insecure.

The insecurity drips off these people like chips. These people fear acceptance steaming from not feeling they are macho enough and fear of developing their own opinions. To be honest I wouldn't put it past these homophobic people to be having homosexual feelings, which would explain the hatrid, as they don't want people to find out their secret.

ReputationRep:
    i meant argument in the strictest sense. those with rational opinions against gay marriage rarely revert to a suggestion of homophobia. i also think, while unpopular, religious views have to be accepted and tolerated. this includes respecting someones right to disagree with homosexuality based on their faith.
    does faith not usually also teach people to tolerate and respect other peoples beliefs and feelings though? to treat everyone equally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    The insecurity drips off these people like chips. These people fear acceptance steaming from not feeling they are macho enough and fear of developing their own opinions. To be honest I wouldn't put it past these homophobic people to be having homosexual feelings, which would explain the hatrid, as they don't want people to find out their secret.
    a little sensational i think.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.