Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
    does faith not usually also teach people to tolerate and respect other peoples beliefs and feelings though? to treat everyone equally?
    i dont know, im atheist. if someone is uncomfortable with homosexuality based upon their intepretation of their faith, then they are welcome to hold that opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    a little sensational i think.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    :confused:
    homophobic = homosexual

ReputationRep:
    i also think, while unpopular, religious views have to be accepted and tolerated. this includes respecting someones right to disagree with homosexuality based on their faith.
    Why do religious views always seem to get some kind of sacred protection from being ripped to pieces. A religion isn't anything more than a collection of personal beliefs.

There should come a responsibility with declaring "I am a christian" or "I am a muslim" or similar, that you will be prepared to defend any of the critical beliefs that come with it.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, im atheist. if someone is uncomfortable with homosexuality based upon their intepretation of their faith, then they are welcome to hold that opinion.
    even if it contradicts another section of their faith teaching tolerance? should faith not come as a whole, not a pick and mix?

ReputationRep:
    does faith not usually also teach people to tolerate and respect other peoples beliefs and feelings though? to treat everyone equally?
    It's a;ways a difficult question when you ask a religious teacher why homosexuality is condemned when god made us, and therefore God made them Gay ect.
    The religious argument is quite weak in my opinion and tends to go around in circles, but I do accept that someone who follows the bible strickly will disapprove of gay marriage, but what I don't understand is why they should try to stop someone who is not religious, who they do not know having a gay marriage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Why do religious views always seem to get some kind of sacred protection from being ripped to pieces..
    because theyre sacred?

A religion isn't anything more than a collection of personal beliefs
    beliefs that I can rip to pieces, disagree with vehemently and yet still have the tolerance to respect someone elses belief or opinion. its not special protection, rather no less of a reason to respect it less than anyone elses opinion.

There should come a responsibility with declaring "I am a christian" or "I am a muslim" or similar, that you will be prepared to defend any of the critical beliefs that come with it.
    i think religion is in the most parts alot of fabricated nonsense, but each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but I don't think that they should try to dictate the whole population on the matter because of their opinion.

ReputationRep:
    even if it contradicts another section of their faith teaching tolerance? should faith not come as a whole, not a pick and mix?
    again, i dont know. ive never been religious and i dont care to be. but if someone chooses to find support or guidance in some part of a faith then they are welcome to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    I agree, but I don't think that they should try to dictate the whole population on the matter because of their opinion.
    i was unaware this was the case. airing your views as a religious community is their democratic right.

ReputationRep:
    because theyre sacred?
    Pft, only because the person holding that belief has declared it so. It's no less sacred than my belief that strawberry jam should never be eaten on a Thursday.

beliefs that I can rip to pieces, disagree with vehemently and yet still have the tolerance to respect someone elses belief or opinion.
    It is of course merely their opinion, but some people have the mindset that I can't say "Hey, you, you're a Muslim/Christian/Whatever, therefore you believe _______, I deem you to be a bigot."

its not special protection, rather no less of a reason to respect it less than anyone elses opinion.
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    i was unaware this was the case. airing your views as a religious community is their democratic right.
    It's well known that the church is against gayt marriage and this irritates me because what they want will have implication on the people who are not religious.
    yes but a view froma religious person may be " I don't think gay marriage should be allowed because the bible says so" If this opinion was followed no-one would be allowed gay-marriage regardless of religion. This is what i meant by my previous comment. It alright to say "i don't approve of gay people because the bible says so" because your opinion does not stop anyone else doing what they wish to.
    Hope you understand what i'm getting at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    It's well known that the church is against gayt marriage and this irritates me because what they want will have implication on the people who are not religious.
    yes but a view froma religious person may be " I don't think gay marriage should be allowed because the bible says so" If this opinion was followed no-one would be allowed gay-marriage regardless of religion. This is what i meant by my previous comment. It alright to say "i don't approve of gay people because the bible says so" because your opinion does not stop anyone else doing what they wish to.
    Hope you understand what i'm getting at.
    and stonewall wants gay marriage to exist, which will have an implication on the people who are not gay or opposed to gay marriage. if the church holds the same opinion as the democratic majority then there is not alot one can do.

ReputationRep:
    which will have an implication on the people who are not gay or opposed to gay marriage.
    [devil's advocate] What implication, precisely? [/devil's advocate]

ReputationRep:
    first hand experience of same-sex marriage, in the UK?
    Or rather lack of.

ReputationRep:
    Pft, only because the person holding that belief has declared it so. It's no less sacred than my belief that strawberry jam should never be eaten on a Thursday.
    and if i said you were an idiot and a bigot because i liked eating strawberry jam on a thursday?

It is of course merely their opinion, but some people have the mindset that I can't say "Hey, you, you're a Muslim/Christian/Whatever, therefore you believe _______, I deem you to be a bigot."
    a quick look at some of the comments on this forum, particuarly those supposedly promoting tolerance and open-mindedness, would suggest it is in fact the contrary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    Or rather lack of.
    so you lack the first hand experience of same-sex marriage in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble here, but until gay couples get THE EXACT SAME rights as heterosexual couples, society is discriminatory and it isn't fair. End of story.

ReputationRep:
    [devil's advocate] What implication, precisely? [/devil's advocate]
    the fact that we live in a society where same sex marriage exists. it could matter to allsorts of people in allsorts of ways.

ReputationRep:
    so you lack the first hand experience of same-sex marriage in the UK?
    I said I have first-hand experience of the issue (though it appears you lack basic literacy skills so I understand the mistake) - i.e. I'm faced with the fact that I and many of my friends currently lack the option of marriage. Quite clearly I have never been married to a member of the same sex, so why even bother asking?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.