Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    It won't directly. But it might give people the opportunity to moan that homosexuality is somehow being condoned and/or promoted, which is the only real reason I can see why people would want to prevent gay marriage.
    1. Homosexuality should be condoned as it will never go away, does not harm people, and is perfectly natural. Though unfortunately, due to lack of experience, the vast majority of straight people, such as vienna95, do not understand this.
    2. This would not promote homosexuality. Would legislation of homosexual marriage cause a straight person to decide suddenly to become gay? I think not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    Good idea. The concept of gay people having the same marital rights as heterosexual couples does in fact have no effect on heterosexual people, which is why I'm bemused that such members as vienna95 feel the need to pass such judgement.
    what judgement?
    bemused would imply you had little opinion of your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    as soon as homosexual marriage becomes legal, courts will not be able to favour a traditional couple of one man and one woman in matters of adoption. children will be placed in homes with parents representing only one sex on an equal basis with those having a mum and dad. stats say that female/male relationships are "more likely to be monagamous so a better environment for child rearing".

never mind about all the homophobia crap, discuss some real issues please.
    1. This is quite clearly not true. The fact that the married couple still consists of two members of the same sex could still be taken into account by the courts when considering suitability for adoption, even though the couple is legally married.
    2. Why should a traditional couple of one man and one woman be favoured anyway? Granted, there are repercussions for the children, though we will never move towards a society of tolerance without first steps being made.

ReputationRep:
    Though unfortunately, due to lack of experience, the vast majority of straight people, such as vienna95, do not understand this..
    dont seem too bemused to me. in fact youre full of fabrication and misjudgement.

ReputationRep:
    never mind about all the homophobia crap, discuss some real issues please.
    indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Depends on your point of view. If you hold that the majority should be able to make all decisions whether they are affected or not then we would have to see if there was indeed a majority against gay marriage. But if you don't hold that then it does inded seem to be active discrimination.
    I think that generally the governments actions should reflect the views of society. However I think that sometimes the government has to do things which may not be supported by the majority because a group of people is being discriminated against. I mean when it came to things like giving gay people equal rights, it should be done because it is the fair thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    dont seem too bemused to me. in fact youre full of fabrication and misjudgement.
    Apostrophes? Capital letters?

What have I fabricated? (Answer = nothing).
    What have I misjudged? (Answer = nothing).

I really don't understand why you're still wittering on in the background. I'm currently engaging in a more intellectual debate with other, more articulate members.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think that generally the governments actions should reflect the views of society. However I think that sometimes the government has to do things which may not be supported by the majority because a group of people is being discriminated against. I mean when it came to things like giving gay people equal rights, it should be done because it is the fair thing to do.
    Agreed. It is the only way that society will move forward.

ReputationRep:
    1. This is quite clearly not true.
    what about california?

though we will never move towards a society of tolerance without first steps being made.
    at the expense of children being fostered etc? what are your views on homosexuals having statistically a larger number of relationships than heterosexuals related to child-care?

ReputationRep:
    Apostrophes? Capital letters?
    and i thought i was pedantic..

ReputationRep:
    at the expense of children being fostered etc? what are your views on homosexuals having statistically a larger number of relationships than heterosexuals related to child-care?
    I think that it is irrelevent because gay people who were to adopt or foster children would have to be assessed just as strait couples are. If they are in a stable happy long term relationship even if they were married (if the law changed) then I don't see why the average number of relationships is relevent. I think as in every adoption case the individual couple should be looked at.

ReputationRep:
    what about california?
    I really don't see what the problem would be with the following scenario:
    Though gay people can marry and enjoy the same legal rights as straight couples, when it comes to adoption, man-woman couples are still favoured.

I just don't see why the government wouldn't be able to favour man-woman couples for adoption whilst still legalising homosexual marriage.

My views are that this does not provide a strong enough argument against homosexual couples adopting.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it is irrelevent because gay people who were to adopt or foster children would have to be assessed just as strait couples are. If they are in a stable happy long term relationship even if they were married (if the law changed) then I don't see why the average number of relationships is relevent. I think as in every adoption case the individual couple should be looked at.
    there's me thinking the assessment didn't stretch to a big brother style, unexaggerated day-to-day view of couples' lives..

ReputationRep:
    My views are that this does not provide a strong enough argument against homosexual couples adopting.
    hypothetically, if there weren't enough foster children to go around (!), and you had to disperse them between hetero and homosexual couples - would you give any children to the homosexual couples? why?

BTW, thanks for the neg rep whoever it was - there's a difference between stating an argument and actually personally agreeing with it. this is a debate forum after all.

ReputationRep:
    there's me thinking the assessment didn't stretch to a big brother style, unexaggerated day-to-day view of couples' lives..
    You can still look at the security of the relationship eg how long they have been together, talk to the individually and together. I think this should be done in all couples who are adopting if it isn't already.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agreed. Though we do have to consider what is best for the children - other children may tease the child for having homosexual parents, and, although I am gay and believe that homosexual couples should have the same rights as straight couples, I also strongly believe that, ideally, a child needs both a mother and father figure. It is a very complicated debate.

ReputationRep:
    This is going no where why don't you just call it quits and get back to the issue of Homophobia and gay rights. Personally I really don't see how Gay marriage will effect the lives of Heterosexual couples.

None of us can state categorically whether 'marriage' between homosexual and lesbian couples will have an effect on the lives of heterosexual couples.

It may be that, in decades to come, there will be profound effects on society in general - how do we know? Only time will tell, as it always does.

The issue of discrimination against homosexuals regarding 'marriage' is that - if homosexuals are allowed to marry they will automatically be entitled to more rights than non-married heterosexual couples - is that just? Even now, homosexual and lesbian couples can go through a 'civil' agreement which gives them more rights than heterosexual co-habitees. Is that just?

No one has an ultimate right to anything if it impinges on the rights of others.

ReputationRep:
    Completely agreed. Though we do have to consider what is best for the children - other children may tease the child for having homosexual parents, and, although I am gay and believe that homosexual couples should have the same rights as straight couples, I also strongly believe that, ideally, a child needs both a mother and father figure. It is a very complicated debate.
    This has been debated before. What about fat parents? It goes on...

If you don't take enough positive action about discrimination people will think it's okay to do it.

ReputationRep:
    hypothetically, if there weren't enough foster children to go around (!), and you had to disperse them between hetero and homosexual couples - would you give any children to the homosexual couples? why?

BTW, thanks for the neg rep whoever it was - there's a difference between stating an argument and actually personally agreeing with it. this is a debate forum after all.
    Rest assured, it wasn't me who neg repped you - I know that unlike certain other members you're merely discussing different viewpoints. I would pos rep you if I could.

Back to the issue, I would disperse the children to the couples who could offer the child the most love and the best upbringing.

ReputationRep:
    You can still look at the security of the relationship eg how long they have been together, talk to the individually and together. I think this should be done in all couples who are adopting if it isn't already.
    couples (any type) that have already had foster assessments can quite easily break up over the following months. same-sex couples have a higher probability of breaking up. i could understand your disagreement with the relevance of this, but why dispute the fact?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.