Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    i believe a child can do just fine with only one sex of parent.
    isn't that different to giving them the best available option?

parents lost to death have no choice in the matter, and can often leave the other partner 200% focussed in delivering the best possible care to child out of compassion.

ReputationRep:
    Homosexuality is not normal, accept that... however that doesn't mean they should not be treated as equals... if you are a homosexual expect no special treatment and don't make a point of being excessively gay in public as if to prove a point, that has negative concequences....

Now i personally think homosexuality is caused by a combination of environment and genetics... face it, the structure of the brain that deals with sexuality MUST be confused, why else would you become gay?

In a way IT IS a problem because the gay community suffers from high rates of HIV infection and AIDS, this puts a burden on the NHS (treatments, fewer people able to donate blood etc)... falling birth rates in the western world (ageing population) is a problem that is not being helped by the increasing numbers of people opting to be gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    as regards to the 'female role model', what relevance does a relative not in the home environment have to the direct upbringing of the child? child would get more exposure from a female teacher than a relative they see a couple of times a week.

would be an interesting sociological experiment to see if the children follow suit (as in a higher proportion, of course) - as we all know homosexuality is more so environmental as it is 'genetic'.
    I just feel that a child needs a balanced upbringing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    As I have said before, I am now having a much more intellectual discussion with other, more well-informed, articulate members such as timeofyourlife and louise_1988.
    hehe, you do know you're directing that comment towards the debate-queen?

ReputationRep:
    Oh not you again. Somebody please gag this member!

I can't even remember what ridiculous point you were trying to communicate to me, so I shan't dignify your statements with any pertinent answer.
    i can relax, youre showing it in a perfect light.

As I have said before, I am now having a much more intellectual discussion with other, more well-informed, articulate members such as timeofyourlife and louise_1988.
    im sure youre having a better discussion, they can put up with a great deal more than I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    Homosexuality is not normal, accept that... however that doesn't mean they should not be treated as equals... if you are a homosexual expect no special treatment and don't make a point of being excessively gay in public as if to prove a point...
    we've evolved from those points now

ReputationRep:
    I just feel that a child needs a balanced upbringing.
    why would a distant female exposure be balanced? define balanced, in your point of view.

ReputationRep:

parents lost to death have no choice in the matter, and can often leave the other partner 200% focussed in delivering the best possible care to child out of compassion.
    But for some adopted children being brought up in a loving couple, even if they happen to be homosexual is better than the alternative which may be living in an abusive family so in that sense you are giving them the best option avaliable.

ReputationRep:
    But then surely in a situation where it is between being bought up in a childrens home and being bought up by two loveing parents (who happen to be the same sex) the parents option is the best available option. What do people who think about same sex couples who use other methods to have children? Should this be legally alowed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    But for some adopted children being brought up in a loving couple, even if they happen to be homosexual is better than the alternative which may be living in an abusive family so in that sense you are giving them the best option avaliable.
    i agree. but not if there was a willing heterosexual couple waiting in the wings. i am, of course, aware of the adoption/fostering shortages though but am considering principle as opposed to practicality.

ReputationRep:
    hehe, you do know you're directing that comment towards the debate-queen?
    what does it matter? its all met with the same abrupt rudeness and smearing. hehe, i get that everyday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    What do people who think about same sex couples who use other methods to have children? Should this be legally alowed?
    It is almost impossible to control, if a woman uses a sperm donor how can you prove this was not a one-night-stand with the man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    But then surely in a situation where it is between being bought up in a childrens home and being bought up by two loveing parents (who happen to be the same sex) the parents option is the best available option.
    i don't dispute that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    Homosexuality is not normal, accept that...
    I will NOT accept that. Homosexuality IS normal - many many people experience it worldwide and to me, having a sexual relationship with a member of the opposite sex would feel wrong and unnatural. So don't you come on here telling me that I am in some way abnormal.

(Original post by Nik P)
    however that doesn't mean they should not be treated as equals... if you are a homosexual expect no special treatment and don't make a point of being excessively gay in public as if to prove a point, that has negative concequences....
    1. Homosexuals do not expect special treatment. Merely tolerance.
    2. Why shouldn't homosexual people kiss and hold hands with their partners in public, in the same way that heterosexual people do? Can you not see that you are being discriminatory and bigotted in saying this?

(Original post by Nik P)
    Now i personally think homosexuality is caused by a combination of environment and genetics... face it, the structure of the brain that deals with sexuality MUST be confused, why else would you become gay?
    Cut the amateur psychology: you know nothing.

(Original post by Nik P)
    In a way IT IS a problem because the gay community suffers from high rates of HIV infection and AIDS, this puts a burden on the NHS (treatments, fewer people able to donate blood etc)... falling birth rates in the western world (ageing population) is a problem that is not being helped by the increasing numbers of people opting to be gay.
    I cannot believe how clueless and narrow-minded you actually are! Elderly people create more of a burden for the NHS - does this mean that they should not exist?

How can you say more people are opting to be gay? Can you not see that people cannot choose their sexuality? I choose to be gay because I do not have sexual feelings for the opposite sex, and nothing anyone can do can change that, so live with it. I certainly do.

ReputationRep:
    i don't dispute that.
    Do you think that there could be a situation where there is a hetrosexual couple but the gay couple would be better for the child?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    what does it matter? its all met with the same abrupt rudeness and smearing. hehe, i get that everyday!
    don't worry, i still love you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Hang on, sounds just like what I was saying a while back. And, as I said ages ago the other argument is medical:

So it seems that the main argument is the non-promotion of homosexuality because it leads to potential mental problems and increased risk of STIs.

One part of me says, "ok, good reasoning", the other part says, "fine, but its still discrimination".

I'm therefore not convinced on the gay adoption issue one way or another.
    The main concern, for me, from that link, which you have overlooked is the evidence that the children brought up within a same sex adoption scenario are more likely to develop homosexual/lesbian sexual relationships when older. This will inevitably lead to great problems for society in the long-term (although, obviously not for homosexual/lesbians themselves, as they will have a wider selection to choose from of sexual partners!)

ReputationRep:
    i agree. but not if there was a willing heterosexual couple waiting in the wings. i am, of course, aware of the adoption/fostering shortages though but am considering principle as opposed to practicality.
    I feel that the circumstance has to be taken into consideration. I feel that same-sex marriage has to come before same-sex adoption is made legal so that any adopted child is taken into as secure relationship as it would be in a hetrosexual circumstance.
    I think that in hetrosexual is the ideal way to bring up an adopted child, but that a homosexual relationship is also an effective way to bring up a child, if you see what I mean.
    At the moment I don't think society has not moved on enough to be totally accepting to homosexualt couples with children, but I hope that if same-sex marriage is made legal this would help create a more liberal country and therefore the feeling that children brough up by homosexuals would be teased will have gone. Hopefully this would mean that couples who wish to adopt, could, reducing the number of children without a family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    hmm.
    vienna, stop hijacking!!
    I would have expected more from you

ReputationRep:
    don't worry, i still love you
    im glad, i need the established members to save me from the rabble.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.