The Student Room Group

Should I take up this Training Contract offer?

So, I graduated with a good law degree from a RG University and have essentially been given the opportunity to complete a training contract at a small law firm (through contacts). The salary will probably been around 17k, which clearly isn't a lot.

Of course my main aim has always been corporate law and I think I do stand a decent shot with my background.

However, putting that aside (since it is incredibly hard to bag a city tc), would it be wise to take up this offer.

The way I see it is, I can at the very least manage on a slightly lower salary for 2 years just to get qualified and then move into a slightly larger firm. I get my foot in the door.

And once I qualify and maybe spend 2 more years in smaller firms I could then go off to work in government or other private sector jobs unrelated to law. But I would have my qualification and can always look to set up my own small firm later on.

Essentially, I know that I can get a job paying 25k and work my way up in a private sector organisation. However, if I ever want to become self-employed i wouldn't really have a way out.

Or I could spend 2 year qualifying as a lawyer at a small firm, then go into the same decent paying private sector jobs (unrelated to law) and have the ability to set up my own firm eventually as well.
Original post by J-SP
When are you due to start your TC?

Posted from TSR Mobile

roundabouts Sept 2017
Original post by PostGrad221
So, I graduated with a good law degree from a RG University and have essentially been given the opportunity to complete a training contract at a small law firm (through contacts). The salary will probably been around 17k, which clearly isn't a lot.

Of course my main aim has always been corporate law and I think I do stand a decent shot with my background.

However, putting that aside (since it is incredibly hard to bag a city tc), would it be wise to take up this offer.

The way I see it is, I can at the very least manage on a slightly lower salary for 2 years just to get qualified and then move into a slightly larger firm. I get my foot in the door.

And once I qualify and maybe spend 2 more years in smaller firms I could then go off to work in government or other private sector jobs unrelated to law. But I would have my qualification and can always look to set up my own small firm later on.

Essentially, I know that I can get a job paying 25k and work my way up in a private sector organisation. However, if I ever want to become self-employed i wouldn't really have a way out.

Or I could spend 2 year qualifying as a lawyer at a small firm, then go into the same decent paying private sector jobs (unrelated to law) and have the ability to set up my own firm eventually as well.

1.) Think carefully about where you obtain your TC, it is incredibly difficult to transfer over to corporate law in the City/London if you don't show compelling evidence as to why you would be a strong addition to those firms. The complexity of the matters, the focus, the energy and the pay are all variable factors of yours and theirs which they comapre and contrast when you apply for roles.

2.) Setting up your own firm isn't easy. Professional indemnity insurance is too expensive.

Try and focus on making yourself an excellent candidate for the City. Build on your commercial awareness by visiting firms and try out something non-legal that can build your skills.

Take small steps and don't make career decisions because it's a 'quick fix' - The city is a numbers game for the most part. If you don't get it this year, try again next year.
(edited 7 years ago)
How long ago did you graduate? What grade did you get in your LLB?

It seems strange to completely abandon your aim of City commercial law, and all the opportunities that brings, if you haven't been attempting to get a TC for a reasonable amount of time. Where you train will largely determine your future career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending