Failing my Computer Science A Level HELP!!!!!

Watch this thread
minionzzz
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
THIS MAY BE VERY LONG BUT SKIP TO THE END IF YOU WANT TO GET TO THE POINT.

So, im only in year 12, but i'm really concerned about my grades, my GCSE grades didnt come out as i would have expected so therefore, i got not so good target grades for a level and now i want to make sure i do my veyr very best at a level.

So..... My computer science teachers are SH*T!!! I have 2 teachers and 2 double lessons in the week, they both teach one double each. But they are both crap.
For the theory bits, they both like introduce the topics, and tell us to do our own research about it, then they don't even tell us the key points needed to know about that topic, we dont even do like exam questions in class like i do for other subjects, so my teachers dont even know how we're doing.
For practical (programming), they'll be like, "i want you to write a program in python which does this...", thats it, we'll have to figure it out ourselves, research it ourselves, and in the end they dont tell us how to do it or even check it, it's only when more than half the class doesn't have a working solutions, thats when they show their own solution (which is copied from the internet), and there's no explanation as to what each line does and that. also, i have a chirstmas porject due in, which is about a program creating a database with all these features and we have never learned anything to do with that.

I am literally trying to teach myself the theory from a revision guide a purchased a month ago, and for each topic i've realised how much they just dont teach. I tried to teach myself programming to but it's not working, i just dont know how to. And i know i'm in year 12 and "it's not that serious" but i'm a slow learner so i need to start know if i want good grades in year 13. BTW, i have tried to change classes and that, but those are the only 2 teachers for computer science, they teacher all the computer science lessons throughout the week.

I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! i'm failing computer science, having to teach it myself and i dont even know how to do the programming. I literally need like tips and guidance to get me and A for a level.
minionzzz
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Thank you.
I have started using code academy recently and i am looking for other ways to help me with programming too. Thank you for your help and is there any textbooks that you recomend x
Carthaginian
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
>codeacademy
literally the worst site, you gotta pay for some tutorials
just follow some old fashioned youtube tuts, nothing beats them
Mistletoe
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
The best advice I ever got regarding CompSci is that "A complicated problem is nothing more than a number of small/simple problems". So if you can't solve something, do something simpler but similar, then usually the final problem is just a particular repetition of the smaller problems that you've solved.
ahmed3140
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
^^^^At lease you lot done computing GCSE, i'm doing A-level Computing without having done the GCSE, and i'm in year 12 and i don't know s**t about programming. To be honest with you i didn't even want to pick this subject,but i had to because i didn't get in to my 4th A-level choice and i had to pick between ICT and computing. I now wish i picked ICT. Can't wait to drop it
ray2310
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Is this A-level CS a new subject? Did they replace it on computing/btec ict?
ahmed3140
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ray2310)
Is this A-level CS a new subject? Did they replace it on computing/btec ict?
Computer science and Computing is the same thing
Nasir1738
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by minionzzz)

So, im only in year 12, but i'm really concerned about my grades, my GCSE grades didnt come out as i would have expected so therefore, i got not so good target grades for a level and now i want to make sure i do my veyr very best at a level.

So..... My computer science teachers are SH*T!!! I have 2 teachers and 2 double lessons in the week, they both teach one double each. But they are both crap.
For the theory bits, they both like introduce the topics, and tell us to do our own research about it, then they don't even tell us the key points needed to know about that topic, we dont even do like exam questions in class like i do for other subjects, so my teachers dont even know how we're doing.
For practical (programming), they'll be like, "i want you to write a program in python which does this...", thats it, we'll have to figure it out ourselves, research it ourselves, and in the end they dont tell us how to do it or even check it, it's only when more than half the class doesn't have a working solutions, thats when they show their own solution (which is copied from the internet), and there's no explanation as to what each line does and that. also, i have a chirstmas porject due in, which is about a program creating a database with all these features and we have never learned anything to do with that.

I am literally trying to teach myself the theory from a revision guide a purchased a month ago, and for each topic i've realised how much they just dont teach. I tried to teach myself programming to but it's not working, i just dont know how to. And i know i'm in year 12 and "it's not that serious" but i'm a slow learner so i need to start know if i want good grades in year 13. BTW, i have tried to change classes and that, but those are the only 2 teachers for computer science, they teacher all the computer science lessons throughout the week.

I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! i'm failing computer science, having to teach it myself and i dont even know how to do the programming. I literally need like tips and guidance to get me and A for a level.

The exact same thing has happened in my sixth form. The entire year has been moved to a btec ICT course, you should consider maybe choosing a btec and securing a D*.
minionzzz
Rep:
(Original post by ahmed3140)
^^^^At lease you lot done computing GCSE, i'm doing A-level Computing without having done the GCSE, and i'm in year 12 and i don't know s**t about programming. To be honest with you i didn't even want to pick this subject,but i had to because i didn't get in to my 4th A-level choice and i had to pick between ICT and computing. I now wish i picked ICT. Can't wait to drop it
I did it at GCSE but tbf I knew jack sh*t. I had a fraud teacher that made us copy from the internet for our controlled assessment (which would have got us disqualified from all GCSEs if we turned it in) and he knew nothing and then he just moved country AN so we had a new teacher that just left uni to 'fix us' which was probably the worst first job ever. And this new teacher literally re did out assesments for us. Taught us the basic cs stuff and then gave us definitions to memorise because there was no time to actually learn the subject. But tbf that was enough to pass. So tbf you could say I'm a beginner too cuz I was taught nothing and know nothing too
minionzzz
Rep:
(Original post by Nasir1738)
The exact same thing has happened in my sixth form. The entire year has been moved to a btec ICT course, you should consider maybe choosing a btec and securing a D*.
I go to kind Edwards college which is a sixth form college and they don't allow you to do a levels and btec . You can only do a levels
minionzzz
Rep:
Thank you for your help. I have been looking at textooks to use for the theory especially but i dont really know the difference between a revision guide and text book :/ . The link below is the book that i use to help me with my theory.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-level-C.../dp/1471839516
minionzzz
Rep:
Ok, I understand what you're saying. I found this book by doing some research online on what book I should get to revise from and this one was the latest (with my spec) and had the best rating. So I didn't know where to buy it so instead I've borrowed it from my college library , I haven brought it yet. But I see that was a good idea, I'll have a look around more and see if I can find a better one.
And thanks, my teachers told my there was no 'exact spec' for computing and the one she I finding online won't be the right one. He told me because it's such an open subject and there's the theory and practical it's harder to have a spec for it, which I found quite odd but thanks for finding it for me.
minionzzz
Rep:
Ok, thank you.
I think i'm going to give it another month or so, and keep speaking to my teachers, attending extra classes, going through the spec myself and that, if it doesn't resolve or work out well, i'll probably complain or contact the exam board and see what happens from there. thank you x.
basvm
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

How's your prep going?!
TS21
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
A2 OCR, one month to save my grades. Can anyone help me understand how to follow and write algorithms?
loooopppyyy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Don't use CodeAcademy, it really doesn't teach much more than following instructions, if you want to learn the concepts and stuff behind Python Coursera is much better, you can do the courses for free if you select the non certificate option when signing up, you miss one or two things such as assessment feedback, however the videos are all viewable which are done my University lecturers.

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/python#about
basvm
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
How is your CS prep going?
proprofootball
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Not sure if you're forced to use a particular language, I think they make you write everything in Pseucode. If it helps, in 2017, I passed this computer science a level by just smashing out the theory using YouTube videos even when I knew ZERO programming (there's a really good resource on there where they go through the specification - sorry its been ages I don't remember the name). Best of luck man, also, smash the coursework, it helped a lot in helping me pass.You got this.I probably won't ever come back on this platform but do the hard work, dig in, you'll smash it.
ket12
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by proprofootball)
Not sure if you're forced to use a particular language, I think they make you write everything in Pseucode. If it helps, in 2017, I passed this computer science a level by just smashing out the theory using YouTube videos even when I knew ZERO programming (there's a really good resource on there where they go through the specification - sorry its been ages I don't remember the name). Best of luck man, also, smash the coursework, it helped a lot in helping me pass.You got this.I probably won't ever come back on this platform but do the hard work, dig in, you'll smash it.
Thanks a lot!
Last edited by ket12; 1 year ago
NHA125
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I go to kind Edwards college which is a sixth form college and they don't allow you to do a levels and btec . You can only do a level
I'm in the exact same position 5 years later- did you go to king Edwards in Sheffield?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads