Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :heart:misstiah_h's GCSE Journey 2017!:heart:
    Hi everyone, my name is Tiah and this is my GYG thread for my GCSEs that I will be sitting in 2017. I'm a very hard-working person; my favourite subjects are basically all sciences and Spanish and I want to do all that I can to achieve my personal targets.

What do I want to achieve by starting this blog?
    On this thread I will be posting regular updates on my studying techniques and revision tips, and hopefully having this record of my work will motivate me (and you!) to inspire other people and prove that anything is possible.

Predicted Grades for Summer 17

AQA Biology A*
    AQA Physics A*
    AQA Chemistry A
    Edexcel Maths 8
    OCR History A
    Edexcel Spanish A
    OCR Photography A
    AQA English Lit 7
    AQA English Lang 7
    Edexcel RE A
    ^ I would definitely like to improve some of those predictions!

Goals for after GCSE
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • Get into Sixth Form, studying Chemistry, Biology and Spanish A-Level
    • As much medical work experience as possible
    • volunteering placement abroad / gap year
    • Get into uni studying (current goal of) medicine, specifically into paediatrics

Latest Mock Results
    Spoiler:
    Show

MARCH MOCK WEEK RESULTS

Biology A*
    Chemistry A
    Physics A*
    English lit 8
    English lang 7
    Mathematics 8
    Art & Design: Photography A
    Spanish A*
    Religious Studies B A*

ENGLISH
    MOCK 1 Language: Paper 1 73/80 Paper 2 62/80 Total: 135
    MOCK 2 Language: Paper 1 67/80 Paper 2 75/80 Total: 142
    Literature: Paper 1 Section A 26/30 Section B 27/30 Total: 53/60 (SPAG not included)
    Literature: Paper 2 Section A -- Blood Brothers 26/30 grade 7

RE
    Unit 1 73/80 A*
    Unit 8 75/80 A*

MATHS
    Edexcel 9-1 Specimen Mock papers
    Paper 1 calc 54/80
    Non-calc 35/80 .. awful but pretty good for my class (top set believe it or not)

Past Exam papers
    Edexcel Calculator Paper 2012 81/100
    Edexcel non-calculator Paper 2012 74/100

HISTORY
    History Paper 1 American West/Crime and punishment: 67/76 A one mark off A*! FFS

SPANISH
    Reading 2016 mock 34/40 A*
    Listening 2016 mock 32/40 A*

PHOTOGRAPHY
    (Coursework) A the 5-hour mock just about killed me

BIOLOGY
    B2 2016 mock 48/60 A*
    B2 2014 mock 49/60 A*

CHEMISTRY
    C2 2014 mock 49/60 A
    C1 2014 mock 45/60 A

PHYSICS
    P3 2016 mock 44/60 A*
    P2 2014 mock 46/60 A*

Useful links & Revision resources I use
    Spoiler:
    Show

Here are the resources I find most useful, listed by subject! I hope you guys find them helpful -- I'm a visual learner so videos are my main source of revision, and I've also included some study aids made by me eg. digital flashcards
    If you guys have any other resources to recommend please drop me a reply!! Xx

GENERAL/STUDY
    Revision with Eve - Youtube
    I watch this girl's videos religiously considering she got 12A* at GCSE
    UnJaded Jade - Youtube
    Mr Thornton - Youtube
    Forest - App
    This app is how I track my focused time - the hours I spend revising with zero distractions, solid and productive work. It allows me to balance the study time and breaks for each subjects, and even disables you from going on your phone during this time whilst you grow a virtual forest. I love this app! It basically saved my productivity.
    Quizlet - App

RELIGIOUS STUDIES
    MrMcmillanREvis - Youtube
    Basically all I did for RE Revision is watch his videos and take notes! Even though he might not do your exact unit if you're studying Christianity you can use the points and also apply them to the other religion you study.

SCIENCE
    Freesciencelessons - Youtube
    Primrose Kitten - Youtube
    Mr Thornton - Youtube
    Science With Hazel -Youtube
    I found her Unit 3 summaries sooo helpful

ENGLISH
    Mr Bruff - Youtube

SPANISH
    Duolingo - App
    Quizlet - MY FLASHCARDS FOR GCSE SPANISH ARE HERE

MATHS
    CGP Grade 9 targeted exam practice workbook
    OnMaths.com (they have a youtube channel with paper walkthroughs too)

HISTORY
    ReviseGCSEHistory - Youtube
    There are also a lot of documentaries on youtube for whatever you're studying; these really help me to make notes and remember topics more clearly.

And finally..
    I can't wait to share my GCSE journey with all of you on TSR! Make sure to follow me and click 'watch' on this thread if you want to see how I get on, and feel free to get involved and reply to the blog! We will inspire and motivate each other

Psttt... RESULTS DAY SPOILER!!!
    Spoiler:
    Show

predicted/achieved
    AQA Biology A* A*
    AQA Physics A* A*
    AQA Chemistry A A*
    Edexcel Maths 8 8
    OCR History A A*
    (got re-marked for 2 extra marks and pushed up to an A*!)
    Edexcel Spanish A A*
    OCR Photography A A*
    AQA English Lit 7 8
    AQA English Lang 7 8
    Edexcel RE A A*

see the full post here

ReputationRep:
    What A-Levels you looking to do Tiah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retsek)
    What A-Levels you looking to do Tiah?
    Hey! At the moment I'm thinking biology, chemistry and Spanish. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misstiah_h)
    Hey! At the moment I'm thinking biology, chemistry and Spanish. How about you?
    Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Chemistry
    I'm going for the classic "I'm a massive nerd" options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retsek)
    Further Maths, Maths, Physics and Chemistry
    I'm going for the classic "I'm a massive nerd" options
    Wow that's great! I think I would have picked another subject (too much choice agh) but my school doesn't advise we do four

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's great! I think I would have picked another subject (too much choice agh) but my school doesn't advise we do four
    Yeah, if you do further maths you have to do maths aswell

ReputationRep:
    Update: Sunday 1st Jan
    Happy New Year Everyone! Here's to a healthy and successful 2017. Today I have been a little sluggish after last night's celebrations, but I've tried to kick start the revision so I will be more motivated by the time school starts on Wednesday.
    • My physics teacher set us a homework on revising the "medical" part of P3, so I made flashcards on parts of the eye, ultrasound and x-rays.
    • I'm currently trying to finish my photography coursework, I just need to complete a few annotations for my final piece then it will all be done (at least for now.. my teacher will probably make me retype everything haha)

^ As you can see, not a lot there.. but it's a start

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I'm excited about for P3 is particle accelerators (I watch The Flash)

Your predicted grades are amazing! I'll definitely be watching this thread to see what you do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkypaz123)
    The only thing I'm excited about for P3 is particle accelerators (I watch The Flash)

Your predicted grades are amazing! I'll definitely be watching this thread to see what you do
    Omg I want to watch The Flash.. is it good?
    Our class have just finished P3 and it's a bit of a drag tbh (but maybe that's just because physics is my least favourite science ) - the only part I like is 3.1, the medical applications bit - it's pretty interesting!

And thanks! I do try I'm looking forward to watching your progress too. Best of luck xx

ReputationRep:
    It's amazing!
    Physics is my least favourite out of the 3 too, especially with all the equations

I wish you the best too xx

ReputationRep:
    Update: Monday 2nd Jan
    Hey! How's it going? I am really happy with the amount of studying I did today compared to yesterday.

Physics:
    • Finished my flashcards for P3.1 and P3.2
    • Did practice exam questions on P3.1 because I have a test on this when I get back
    • Here are the questions I did (They're really helpful to revise with because they come with answers, so you can self-mark and see what you need to improve on )

Spanish:
    • Quickly saved and revised some vocabulary on Quizlet: I will do another post on revising with this when I get to grips with it- I just discovered the app yesterday and it's a fabulous revision resource!

English:
    • Went over some Blood Brothers quotes, context & themes (anyone else doing Blood Brothers? Seems like it's just me)

Organising Revision Material:
    • Get all of your revision material ready and organised as early as possible so you know exactly where it is before going back to school. Today I printed some more science past papers and organised them in to folders, so they are easily accessible in case I want to do any revision (as shown below)

Name:  IMG_4221.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  267.9 KB

Overall, I feel like I have been very productive today and it's making me feel a lot more prepared for going back to school on Wednesday. See you soon!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness (as weird as it sounds) I love your handwriting! Mine is just a scrawl...
    And your mock results are so good!! I look forward to following your progress on this GYG blog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah-Brown)
    Oh my goodness (as weird as it sounds) I love your handwriting! Mine is just a scrawl...
    And your mock results are so good!! I look forward to following your progress on this GYG blog
    Awww thanks Hannah! Though it does sometimes get a bit out of control and my teachers struggle to read it (especially on timed questions haha)

I am quite proud of my mock results actually, but I did have to pull a few late nighters after underestimating the amount of material left to revise (especially in history)!!

ReputationRep:
    Loool gcse peasants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RegrettingAS)
    Loool gcse peasants
    you're the one with the username "RegrettingAS"

ReputationRep:
    Update: Tuesday 3rd Jan
    Hello! Today is my last day before going back to school but tbh I don't mind going back, I'm finding it very hard to structure myself whilst being at home. Here's the studying I managed to do today:

Physics:
    • Made a few flashcards on P3.3 (almost finished )
    • Watched this youtube video about Fleming's left hand rule & made notes - at first I thought the animation was quite basic but it made me understand the rule a lot more than before and now I finally get it!

English Lit:
    • Put my own key quotes and context for each poem on the conflict cluster on Quizlet.. the sets are here and here
    • Added to my anthology.. pretty pleased with how detailed my notes are for the poems now. Just need to research the context for a few more

Name:  IMG_4232 copy.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  286.8 KB

And finally.. I ordered a Moleskine notebook so that I can start a bullet journal! I've been so inspired recently by pinterest & studyblrs to start organising all of my lists and revision planning in one place, so I will be sure to update you all with pictures when it gets started

ReputationRep:
    I am obsessed with my moleskin notebook, they really are amazing! Although my pages never turn out as the pretty ones on pinterest... I can't wait to see yours!

ReputationRep:
    Why is your physics revision a picture of a poem ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing the same exam board as you for english as well as the same poetry cluster. ive got this book with all the poems in it too and we sometimes annotate it in class! but its so unfair cause we have like 15 poems to go through and memorise quotes from!! i'd say the best websites to help with annotating the poems (especially the charge of the light brigade) are bbc bitesize and sparknotes. have you got any reccommendations for any other websites? also, good luck with going back to school tomorrow! i have to goback tomorrow too
    Update: Tuesday 3rd Jan
    Hello! Today is my last day before going back to school but tbh I don't mind going back, I'm finding it very hard to structure myself whilst being at home. Here's the studying I managed to do today:

Physics:
    • Made a few flashcards on P3.3 (almost finished )
    • Watched this youtube video about Fleming's left hand rule & made notes - at first I thought the animation was quite basic but it made me understand the rule a lot more than before and now I finally get it!

English Lit:
    • Put my own key quotes and context for each poem on the conflict cluster on Quizlet.. the sets are here and here
    • Added to my anthology.. pretty pleased with how detailed my notes are for the poems now. Just need to research the context for a few more

Name:  IMG_4232 copy.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  286.8 KB

And finally..I ordered a Moleskine notebook so that I can start a bullet journal! I've been so inspired recently by pinterest & studyblrs to start organising all of my lists and revision planning in one place, so I will be sure to update you all with pictures when it gets started

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah-Brown)
    I am obsessed with my moleskin notebook, they really are amazing! Although my pages never turn out as the pretty ones on pinterest... I can't wait to see yours!
    I am going to try and keep mine really neat. I bought my mum a moleskine for Christmas and she loves it, and now I have notebook envy! haha

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.