Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm about to start year 12. I have the opportunity to do a chinese GCSE at the end of this year. However the combination of concentrating far more on my AS levels and only having started chinese a year ago (whereas most applicants are native) means that I'm not realistically expecting to get more than a C (which is what my chinese friend got last year, despite speaking it fluently at home).

So, my question is:

Would I have a greater chance of getting into cambridge (for medecine or natsci), if I had 11A* + 1 C in chinese (at best) or with just 11A*, having studied chinese, but without taking an exam in it?

ReputationRep:
    It will be a advantage to have an additional GCSE in Chinese. It would make you seem like someone who is self motivated and likes challenges - embarking on a GCSE designed for native speakers.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it'll make a lot of difference either way, but I reckon it would be very important to put the grade in context as more of an interest than a serious academic pursuit, so that might be worth bringing up and explaining at interview.

ReputationRep:
    qw

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your support. But do you think it would be better to say that i studied it for 3 years (so the admission people will know that I am an enthusiastic learner etc.), without getting a formal qualification, so not running the risk of doing poorly and ammission officers thinking: well, he can't handle the workload here as he didn't do too well on that challenge, thus decreasing my chances, rather than improving them.

I hope I write with shorter sentences in my personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    hey. Im applying to cambridge for medicine this year and hav contacted the admission office regarding my grade A in chinese Alevel. They have replied saying since chinese is not related to medicine in anyway it will not be counted as one of the As in the AAA requirement. but if u enjoy learning the language go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Are you chinese by heritage?
    If you're not, congratualtions on your great achievement and therefore, surely it must be used to show your intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by changeme)
    hey. Im applying to cambridge for medicine this year and hav contacted the admission office regarding my grade A in chinese Alevel. They have replied saying since chinese is not related to medicine in anyway it will not be counted as one of the As in the AAA requirement. but if u enjoy learning the language go for it.
    You could at least tried to make some stuff up about Chinese medicine and persuaded them that Chinese is relavent to what you are doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by changeme)
    i agree with that. take chinese only for its own sake. i was forced to take it, hated it and did badly in it..which is just as well because (as far as i can tell) it didn't affect my application to cam med anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i did gcse chinese in year 10 and scraped an A - but i found the reading &writing quite difficult.
    if you are really keen on the language ... go ahead but focus more on your A-levels this year becasue you have already got a superb gcse result; no need to get some more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savushkinruinedmylife)
    Are you chinese by heritage?
    If you're not, congratualtions on your great achievement and therefore, surely it must be used to show your intelligence.
    Hehe I am chinese came here 4 yrs ago. so it was easy for me altho i worked rly hard. surely it cant be used to show my intelligence lol.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.