The Student Room Group

Retake A levels/University/Access course? :o

Ok, I am at a loss as to what to do. I'll start at the beginning.

For my A levels, I achieved 3 C's (Photography, Media Studies and English Literature). I was going through severe depression at the time and didn't revise because I quite honestly didn't give a damn about them or myself to be frank.

Now I'm 20 and I feel like I've utterly failed. After finishing secondary school with reasonable GCSEs and poor A levels, I went to University and dropped out because of mental health issues.

At the moment, I am enrolled on a level 3 course in cooking (it's a passion of mine, and I am competent at it). The course I am doing well at, however, I do not want to be a chef. I will complete the course, but it's not the career path I wish to take.

So now what I'd like is some advice on is should I retake my A levels at a college near me (and try my best to get 3 As)? I was thinking of changing the subjects to something more concrete like: English Literature, Sociology and Classical Civilizations. I was going to do this so I could meet the entry requirement of the Universities I wish to apply to but I don't know whether an Access course would be better. I've looked into access courses but haven't found a great deal of courses available locally.

I am applying for University to study English Literature, but these A level results are really limiting my options. It is only now that I'm realizing how well I could have done if I had put my mind to it and I'm just ashamed of the results I received and I know I am capable of doing so much better.

My dream would be to be accepted to Oxford, Cambridge or Royal Holloway but I think that's very unrealistic.

Sorry about this long old post!
Original post by honeysmoke
Ok, I am at a loss as to what to do. I'll start at the beginning.

For my A levels, I achieved 3 C's (Photography, Media Studies and English Literature). I was going through severe depression at the time and didn't revise because I quite honestly didn't give a damn about them or myself to be frank.

Now I'm 20 and I feel like I've utterly failed. After finishing secondary school with reasonable GCSEs and poor A levels, I went to University and dropped out because of mental health issues.

At the moment, I am enrolled on a level 3 course in cooking (it's a passion of mine, and I am competent at it). The course I am doing well at, however, I do not want to be a chef. I will complete the course, but it's not the career path I wish to take.

So now what I'd like is some advice on is should I retake my A levels at a college near me (and try my best to get 3 As)? I was thinking of changing the subjects to something more concrete like: English Literature, Sociology and Classical Civilizations. I was going to do this so I could meet the entry requirement of the Universities I wish to apply to but I don't know whether an Access course would be better. I've looked into access courses but haven't found a great deal of courses available locally.

I am applying for University to study English Literature, but these A level results are really limiting my options. It is only now that I'm realizing how well I could have done if I had put my mind to it and I'm just ashamed of the results I received and I know I am capable of doing so much better.

My dream would be to be accepted to Oxford, Cambridge or Royal Holloway but I think that's very unrealistic.

Sorry about this long old post!

You need to find out whether any universities would accept resat a levels with your extenuating circumstances before considering that route.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending