How can I get to University?

Watch this thread
Wryal
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello TSR

A year back, I took the decision to leave my sixth form as I was moving far away and to get a job. I’ve been in that job for the last year, I like it, but it’s not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I wanted the University experience, I always dreamt of it during school. I was doing History/Maths/Computing at Sixth Form, and did quite well, but didn’t complete the AS Level.

I don’t want any regrets and I do want to experience . University, studying Computer Science. I’m 20, this isn’t too old is it?

Now of course, because of leaving my sixth form, I don’t have a full A Level, therefore it’s very hard to get accepted into a University.

What are my options TSR? Access to HE, retaking my A Levels in one year?

Is it possible to get everything ready and complete to get into University for September or is this not realistic?

Thanks
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wryal)
Hello TSR

A year back, I took the decision to leave my sixth form as I was moving far away and to get a job. I’ve been in that job for the last year, I like it, but it’s not what I want to do for the rest of my life.

I wanted the University experience, I always dreamt of it during school. I was doing History/Maths/Computing at Sixth Form, and did quite well, but didn’t complete the AS Level.

I don’t want any regrets and I do want to experience . University, studying Computer Science. I’m 20, this isn’t too old is it?

Now of course, because of leaving my sixth form, I don’t have a full A Level, therefore it’s very hard to get accepted into a University.

Is it possible to get everything ready and complete to get into University for September or is this not realistic?

Thanks
If you do an Access, be careful when looking at University choices. The maths content tends to be a bit weak on an Access course for the top universities.

I'm doing an Access to HE in Computing and ICT and I'll be starting University in September. You can still get into some decent universities with an Access diploma, I've currently offers from Nottingham and Liverpool with an applicants day this month for Leeds. But my preferred choice Manchester was off the table without a maths A level.

I don't think getting into university this September is realistic, not without compromising your choices severely. Long term you'd be better off planning to begin a course like the access course in September instead and going to university in 2018. For the sake of 1 year while you're still so young it's better to do it properly.

As for being too old, I damn well hope not! I'm 34. My access course probably has an average age of 23 so you'd still be a pup.
Wryal
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by BigYoSpeck)
If you do an Access, be careful when looking at University choices. The maths content tends to be a bit weak on an Access course for the top universities.

I'm doing an Access to HE in Computing and ICT and I'll be starting University in September. You can still get into some decent universities with an Access diploma, I've currently offers from Nottingham and Liverpool with an applicants day this month for Leeds. But my preferred choice Manchester was off the table without a maths A level.

I don't think getting into university this September is realistic, not without compromising your choices severely. Long term you'd be better off planning to begin a course like the access course in September instead and going to university in 2018. For the sake of 1 year while you're still so young it's better to do it properly.

As for being too old, I damn well hope not! I'm 34. My access course probably has an average age of 23 so you'd still be a pup.
Hi BigYoSpeck,

Thank you for your response.

I was hoping that University would be a possibility this year, but looking at it, it seems clear that it is not.

Would you say that the best option for me would be to take an access course then? Rather than retaking my A Levels?
BigYoSpeck
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wryal)
Hi BigYoSpeck,

Thank you for your response.

I was hoping that University would be a possibility this year, but looking at it, it seems clear that it is not.

Would you say that the best option for me would be to take an access course then? Rather than retaking my A Levels?
I've no experience with A levels so can't comment on them vs the access.

Access was the right choice for me:
-It can be done in a year.
-I'd have to pay for A levels, the access had a loan available which is written off when you complete a degree.
-Even though I'm the oldest, I'm around more mature students than an A level course.
-The course content isn't just about the topic, it prepares you for essay writing, presentation giving, research, study techniques, correct referencing etc...

My local college also had a computing specific course. But anything maths heavy is good for computer science. You want at least 15 credits in maths, preferably 18.

A foundation year didn't appeal to me because that uses up a year of available loans and needs paying back. Access seemed better value.

But you should research for your own specific situation.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wryal)
Hello TSR

Thanks
BigYoSpeck has given excellent advice above.
I would add that it would be very possible for you to self study AS maths and take the exams this summer and quite probably complete the A level next year alongside access course study. Depending on how far you got in AS at sixth form and your aptitude for maths&self study it may be possible to complete one or more A2 units as well this summer so you'd have a lighter load next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (1)
50%
No (0)
0%
I didn't use it to prepare (1)
50%

Watched Threads