The Student Room Group

Help with physics question on magnetic fields!!

Several attempts have been made to trail a cable from a satellite so that it cuts the earth's magnetic field and develops an emf.

a) What would that emf be if the cable was 20km long, the velocity of the satellite was 7km/s and the flux density was 60μT at right angles to the cable?
b) If any power could be obtained by this means, what effect would it have on the motion of the satellite?
Reply 1
Reply 2
Original post by oShahpo

I dont quite fully understand the screencast so an explanation would be great but your help is still much appreciated :smile:
does the question include a diagram? I'm a tad confused about the geometry of the problem
Reply 4
Original post by Darth_Narwhale
does the question include a diagram? I'm a tad confused about the geometry of the problem

no diagram included :frown:
Original post by TheNameIsAli
I dont quite fully understand the screencast so an explanation would be great but your help is still much appreciated :smile:

You can imagine that the cable is the rod in gray. So when the cable is cutting the magnetic field at right angles, there is an associated motional emf across the cable given by the formula Bvl -Bvl .

Quick Reply

Latest