Turn on thread page Beta

Is it uncool or something if girls approach guys or start flirting first? Its just no guys ever come up to me, then again ive only been clubbing once and this guy started dancing with me then I realised he couldn't speak english, he then tried to follow me home speaking some asian language he kept pointing and saying 'house' :confused: I just left him with a bouncer and ran home.

Anyway so why is it always the guys who seem to do the flirting, asking girls out? To me it seems desperate if a girl asks a guy out but why?

ReputationRep:
    Nah trust me its fine, i approached most of my ex's and my current boyfriend (i mainly go for shy guys lol) and it always works out well, as long as your confident they will be nice to you. Ive been with my current bf 3 years and if i hadnt of approached him then nothing would have happened!

ReputationRep:
    The only reason there is this perception is because lots of men feel threatened when a girl makes the first move. I feel tempted to agree with the girls who say whats the point in approaching a guy because if he were really interested he would have spoken to me already so why bother, but clearly above poster proves this isnt always the case. Being a little pro-active occasionally can't hurt!

ReputationRep:
    I think girls should approach more

Seriously, it's very flattering when they do.

ReputationRep:
    No its not desperate to approach a guy and flirt with him/ask them out, I was the one that ended up making the first move when it came to my boyfriend! I think guys just do it because people tend to think thats how it should be done... but guys can quite easily be as shy as girls!

ReputationRep:
    I think any guy would be flattered if a girl approached him. They may very well be interested in you, but are just too shy to approach you.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, always flattering when a girl starts things off. Definately doesn't make her seem desperate, actually just shows that shes confident, which most guys (myself included) will find a turn on.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I think most guys would be grateful if a girl even just went out of their way to chat to them in a club :p:

ReputationRep:
    what if a very quiet shy girl plucked up the courage to approach a guy though, would that seem desperate? How would you guys react if you didn't like the girl? Id probaby just talk along with her anyway lol

ReputationRep:
    Whoever does the approaching just needs to learn to deal with rejection. No matter how great you are, some people won't be interested.

As for women approaching, I see nothing wrong with it. There's no reason it should be men all the time. Hell, it saves us a few awkward moments that way hehe.

Besides, if you don't approach someone you find interesting, someone else might and take him away from you.

i wish more girls would make the approach. its a good thing op

ReputationRep:
    I think girls should approach more

Seriously, it's very flattering when they do.
    :ditto:

While it must be great for girls having all these blokes chasing them, its certainly nice having it the other way. Its like paying someone this mahousive complement, that you think they're/we're hot...or that they're drunk, you're desperate and you want to take advantage of them, either way i can't see anything wrong in that?

The first time it happened to me, i was really confused/drunk and didn't quite understand what was happening. I originally thought she liked me, but then decided she didn't because i thought i was reading too much into it as i was a bit tipsy, then things took a step forward and i realised that she did really like me.

The only reason there is this perception is because lots of men feel threatened when a girl makes the first move. I feel tempted to agree with the girls who say whats the point in approaching a guy because if he were really interested he would have spoken to me already so why bother, but clearly above poster proves this isnt always the case. Being a little pro-active occasionally can't hurt!
    TBH, being a really shy guy, i have lots of friends, and/or people i know that i really like, but i haven't approached many of them, i don't want to wreck anything that i've got with them if it goes all wrong. I'm not that good at reading what a girl thinks of me so being forward can only help things? It doesn't just mean that we don't care.

ReputationRep:
    I was at this club the previous weekend and a girl approached me. Seriously women, if you want a guy to give you attention.. approach him. We love it. I do atleast. Not 'cause we're desperate insecure tossers who don't know how to talk to a girl, but instead its cause it shows the girl in a different light. Just for approaching me, I had a positive attitude towards this girl. She was confident, she was charming and she was outgoing. I don't think I would of approached her myself, simply 'cause there were several other girls I had my eyes on all night.. but damn am I glad that she came over. I ended up spending the rest of the night in the club with her.. and kept in touch after. Moral of the story, approach guys!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't like approaching guys first, unless I know them. I've done it a few times in the past and it has kind of worked, but I'm usually to afraid that I'm going to get rejected and they'll walk off or something.

ReputationRep:
    Boys will rarely, very rarely reject a girl.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly acceptable. If not quite encouraged when it comes to a lot of guys, anyway.
    Ones with no confidence won't even look at you never mind come onto ya'.
    I suggest breaking the ice first :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Adarshster)
    Hahahaha *borat voice: 'high five'*

ReputationRep:
    And unless they're drunk, even IF they do reject u.. they'll do it in the most humble manner usually as they're flattered by you approaching them in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Adarshster)
    In a club? :confused: There's nothing more annoying than having a pair of tits shoved in your face whilst you're trying to dance with your mates. Usually its in the form of, 'so do you want to buy me/my friend a drink.' That behaviour coupled with a load of drunks trying to touch up your girl mates is bloody annoying.

ReputationRep:
    i once approached a lad, got off with him 5 mins later n then i was like soooo whats your name? lol. i have it both ways, boys often chat me up but im picky lol. (well i say this but ive been with my bf now for 3 years so it doesnt happen unless i go out alone lol in which case i just say sorry im with someone) but when i was single if i saw a fit lad, id go say hi. lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.