skye99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, i'm really struggling with my French A level there is just so much content and i keep forgetting it all ! If you did French A level or are currently doing it do you have any advice ?

Thanks
AimeeC9
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Heyy!
What is it that you are really struggling with? Are you doing AS (first year of sixthfrom) or A2?
skye99
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=AimeeC9;69310400]Heyy!
What is it that you are really struggling with? Are you doing AS (first year of sixthfrom) or A2?[/QUOTE

Oh yeah i forgot to mention that ! I'm doing AS, i'm really struggling with the writing aspect as in doing translations, my teacher will give me an English text and i will have to translate it and it's really horrendous ! As well as this when put on the spot to talk in French i really struggle to put together a sentence even though it is somewhere in my brain haha i just get mixed up, and it sounds bad. I really want to get a good grade but i am struggling.
icy_typhoon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
- practise vocab on quizlet whenever you can. on the bus works for me
- try watching French films and maybe reading books, immersing yourself in the language will help you a lot
- if your school didn't give you one buy a grammar book or use resources online to practise things like pronouns and other rules if that's something you struggle with
- do tenses practise on languagesonline
- something I like to do is walk around the house saying/thinking random things in french (and other languages i may be learning) bc it helps you practise forming sentences. for example if i'm eating breakfast and watching tv I might try and think of how to say "Right now I am eating breakfast and watching TV. This programme is really boring. Even though I normally don't like eggs, today it tastes amazing!" random silly stuff like that.

bonne chance!
skye99
Rep:
?
(Original post by icy_typhoon)
- practise vocab on quizlet whenever you can. on the bus works for me
- try watching French films and maybe reading books, immersing yourself in the language will help you a lot
- if your school didn't give you one buy a grammar book or use resources online to practise things like pronouns and other rules if that's something you struggle with
- do tenses practise on languagesonline
- something I like to do is walk around the house saying/thinking random things in french (and other languages i may be learning) bc it helps you practise forming sentences. for example if i'm eating breakfast and watching tv I might try and think of how to say "Right now I am eating breakfast and watching TV. This programme is really boring. Even though I normally don't like eggs, today it tastes amazing!" random silly stuff like that.

bonne chance!
This is so helpful ! Merci beaucoup
MoonlightBoo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When I learn languages, I listen to music in that language. As well as getting a sense of their culture, I look up the translation and the words get stuck in my head. So if I hear that word that was mentioned in the song, I instantly remember what it means
This helps to a certain extent, obviously you can't learn a whole language through just songs, but this gave me a little booster while I was learning french and Dutch
AimeeC9
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
[QUOTE=skye99;69310524]
(Original post by AimeeC9)
Heyy!
What is it that you are really struggling with? Are you doing AS (first year of sixthfrom) or A2?[/QUOTE

Oh yeah i forgot to mention that ! I'm doing AS, i'm really struggling with the writing aspect as in doing translations, my teacher will give me an English text and i will have to translate it and it's really horrendous ! As well as this when put on the spot to talk in French i really struggle to put together a sentence even though it is somewhere in my brain haha i just get mixed up, and it sounds bad. I really want to get a good grade but i am struggling.
I really struggle with the speaking to! It's awful.... I don't know about you but my langauge department is fanatstic - everyone is so supportive and I can just go up to them if I require help - bearing in mind I am someone who has real bad anxiety...

Do you have a vocab book that tour teacher gave you? Something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/034...WPL&ref=plSrch
It is so damn helpful! Especially the hodder one's. What I do is learn a section of vocal (from french to english - that wagyou remember it better) and tour vocab really expands. It helps so much.

If there is a certain word that you keep seeing but can't get the meaning of it. Look it up, write it down on a flash card. Eventually you'll end p with a pill of words that frequently come up in which you don't understand. This ensures you will know those words for the exam.

Like what the other post suggested - music is a great way. Listen to it in french, however there is most often a english translated text of it. See ow much you an understand without the english and then play it with the english text. If you're a singer like me you can also take the optional route of trying to sing in French. Films are a good one to. Watch it more than once though - don't just read subtitles, losteb out for the french whilst reading.

Male a list of sentence structures/ things to be cautious of and then mind map for revision purposes. I don't know if you have things like cases and complicated grammar structures, but if it does (probs not as many as German!) that really helps to.

As for the translation you have really got to take it step by step. Split the translation up into small erections eork on it way. After you have finished go through it. Check for capital letters, look very carefully for those 'trip' parts which try to make you use the wrong word/ woek order, cases (if you have them), specific sentence structure etc. This is important becuase translations are marked in parts - I would suggest you ask you french teacher to show you how it is marked. They are hard becuase it is so specific with the english to french ones.

For the speaking I really am struggling with that myself. By any chance does your school do a weekly speaking session? What xam board are you with?

Hope this helps a little.
Currently doing AS German.
skye99
Rep:
?
(Original post by MoonlightBoo)
When I learn languages, I listen to music in that language. As well as getting a sense of their culture, I look up the translation and the words get stuck in my head. So if I hear that word that was mentioned in the song, I instantly remember what it means
This helps to a certain extent, obviously you can't learn a whole language through just songs, but this gave me a little booster while I was learning french and Dutch
Thats really helpful, i might try doing that thank you
skye99
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=AimeeC9;69320736]
(Original post by skye99)

I really struggle with the speaking to! It's awful.... I don't know about you but my langauge department is fanatstic - everyone is so supportive and I can just go up to them if I require help - bearing in mind I am someone who has real bad anxiety...

Do you have a vocab book that tour teacher gave you? Something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/034...WPL&ref=plSrch
It is so damn helpful! Especially the hodder one's. What I do is learn a section of vocal (from french to english - that wagyou remember it better) and tour vocab really expands. It helps so much.

If there is a certain word that you keep seeing but can't get the meaning of it. Look it up, write it down on a flash card. Eventually you'll end p with a pill of words that frequently come up in which you don't understand. This ensures you will know those words for the exam.

Like what the other post suggested - music is a great way. Listen to it in french, however there is most often a english translated text of it. See ow much you an understand without the english and then play it with the english text. If you're a singer like me you can also take the optional route of trying to sing in French. Films are a good one to. Watch it more than once though - don't just read subtitles, losteb out for the french whilst reading.

Male a list of sentence structures/ things to be cautious of and then mind map for revision purposes. I don't know if you have things like cases and complicated grammar structures, but if it does (probs not as many as German!) that really helps to.

As for the translation you have really got to take it step by step. Split the translation up into small erections eork on it way. After you have finished go through it. Check for capital letters, look very carefully for those 'trip' parts which try to make you use the wrong word/ woek order, cases (if you have them), specific sentence structure etc. This is important becuase translations are marked in parts - I would suggest you ask you french teacher to show you how it is marked. They are hard becuase it is so specific with the english to french ones.

For the speaking I really am struggling with that myself. By any chance does your school do a weekly speaking session? What xam board are you with?

Hope this helps a little.
Currently doing AS German.

Thank you for all of this advice i really appreciate it ! We do have a french assistant who i see 3 times in 2 weeks for 20 mins, it's ok but i get all nervous haha becasue i can't put a sentence together well. I'm with edexcel
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, i'm really struggling with my French A level there is just so much content and i keep forgetting it all ! If you did French A level or are currently doing it do you have any advice ?

Translation into French is a grammar exercise! If you struggle with translation, you really need to work on your grammar. Have a look through your previous work and try to analyse where you make most of your mistakes. For example:

verb conjugations
use of tenses
use of personal pronouns
noun/adjective agreements
subject/verb agreements
reflexive verbs

These are common weak spots at AS level; you may have some or all of them. If you work out what exactly your weak spots are, you can tackle them more readily.

A good grammar book is vital; I always recommend this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Gramm.../dp/095706120X Worth every penny as the one book will see you through the whole of the Sixth Form.

Your problems with speaking are also related to this as, at your level, your natural tendency is to translate inside your head. If your grammar is shaky, everything falls down. On top of that, for speaking, you also need to develop speed and confidence - which is where you need lots and lots of practice. On other threads here I've suggested forming a "French lunch group" - where you get together every day over your lunch break and just chat about your day in French. Ten, fifteen minutes chatting every day adds up to at least an hour a week - invaluable experience.
laurenwinch16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am currently really struggling with vocab. For my mock exam I learnt all the vocab (which was a lot and all topic specific) provided on the sheet vocabs (we use kerboodle), but then in the translation they just put in random words which I had never come across! It seems like no matter how much I revise or listen to French, there are always going to be little words that I just don't know, which end up costing important marks. Also does anyone know any good resources for English into French translation? Thank you
A-dix
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I'm french and I have to practice english...
We are a lot of students in that case : in a nutshell most of us have start again to study and we hove manage to our professional lives in the same time.
We are studying Physics, Mathematics, Computing, Ingenering and for some of us chemistry and geoscience. During the second part of the year (wich mean from now) we have a course of english.
I'll be happy to speak english and french with you, I think it's could be a godd idea.
French is my mother tongue so I apologize about the syntax, grammar and anything wich can look strange for you in this short message.
I hope we can help one another...
waiting to read from you
Adrien (I know my name is not so easy to pronounce...)
laurenwinch16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah merci Adrien ce serait très utile! (Je suis désolé aussi si je fait des petits erreurs!) Je m'appelle Lauren
username2995654
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks
Hey, for me learning the stems and endings for each tense helped a lot. Once you know how to form each tense off by heart, even if it's slow for a while, you should be able to work out how to say things (especially for regular verbs). I have an app on my phone which tests you on verb conjugations, it's really helpful actually!
I've also attached a conjugation table which I made. I have it printed off, one copy in my French folder, and one on my wall. It's helpful for writing tasks especially as you have it all in front of you.
Attached files
username2995654
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by laurenwinch16)
I am currently really struggling with vocab. For my mock exam I learnt all the vocab (which was a lot and all topic specific) provided on the sheet vocabs (we use kerboodle), but then in the translation they just put in random words which I had never come across! It seems like no matter how much I revise or listen to French, there are always going to be little words that I just don't know, which end up costing important marks. Also does anyone know any good resources for English into French translation? Thank you
For vocab I have an app on my phone called Chegg Flashcards! You can search for decks of cards on there, and they have A level and GCSE vocab on ther. It's so helpful, and once you know a word you press the tick and it stops testing you on that.
Ale Ciovirta
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Adrien are you still looking for someone to practice English with? I'm Alessia studying French for A level exams. I'll be happy to speak English and French with you or if you can recommend another student in the same situation I'll really appreciate it.Thanks
starrystudent123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by A-dix)
Hi, I'm french and I have to practice english...
We are a lot of students in that case : in a nutshell most of us have start again to study and we hove manage to our professional lives in the same time.
We are studying Physics, Mathematics, Computing, Ingenering and for some of us chemistry and geoscience. During the second part of the year (wich mean from now) we have a course of english.
I'll be happy to speak english and french with you, I think it's could be a godd idea.
French is my mother tongue so I apologize about the syntax, grammar and anything wich can look strange for you in this short message.
I hope we can help one another...
waiting to read from you
Adrien (I know my name is not so easy to pronounce...)
Hi Adrien,
I am currently studying French for AS level and would love some help! I don't know if your offer still stands as it was quite some time ago. Perhaps you could be like a french pen pal and help me out!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.62%
I'm not sure (56)
4.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (351)
29.15%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.91%
I'm not a current university student (586)
48.67%

Watched Threads