Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
This is actually for history but I can't get my head around them try as i might

1) Monetarism

2) Supply Side Economics

3) Demand Side Economics

4) keynesianism

Thank you and i have tried googling but it goes into way more detail than i understand :/ just want a basic outline of what the government would do with each of these policies i.e raise taxes or whatever

Thanks
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Keynesianism was the theories elaborated by JM Keynes between the Wars to fight the economic crisis of the 1930s. It supposes a strong public spending during economic crisis so consumers (=demand) still have money to spend, thus companies still hire people to run the factories and the negative effects (principally unemployment) of the crisis are contained. It advocates a generous welfare state (especially unemployment benefits), and often massive infrastructure projects that require a lot of manpower (in order to reduce unemployment). These theories were dominant after 1945, especially with Labour governments (Clement Attlee created the British welfare state), but also influenced the Tories.

However, these policies became ineffective to counter the economic crisis of the 1970s, which combined both high unemployment and inflation (called "stagflation" ). Demand policies did not work because world economies had become more open and British companies were not competitive in the global market. When the state gave benefits, people bought products manufactured abroad. For example, in the 1970s people bought walkmans, pocket radios, VCRs, etc. which were made in East Asia (especially Japan). So, public money was "wasted" on foreign goods and the UK had large trade and budget deficits, funded by printing banknotes, thus fuelling inflation.

With Margaret Thatcher (and Reagan in the USA) a new set of economic policies were used (although they had already been experimented before), such as Monetarism. It is another economic doctrine, which was designed by Milton Friedman (US economist, leader of the Chicago School). It advocates the limitation of public spending and money printing in order to reduce inflation. Friedman and his followers also said that companies (who make supplies) must be favoured so they can produce goods and services at a cheaper cost than their foreign competitors. Therefore, they pushed for economic deregulation, reducing taxes, cutting public spending, fighting the unions, etc. anything to cut the labour cost.

So in short:
Demand=favouring people (or consumers)=Keynes=post-war governments (especially labour).
Supply=favouring businesses=Friedman=Thatcher+ Reagan.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Josb)
x
Thank you so much, you are an actual legend :cube:
and tyvm for the Personal Rep that was also helpful :hugs: x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads