Arun99
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Does anybody know of any revision guides and/or websites for this subject?
Arun99
Rep:
?
I am struggling with this subject because of my lack of understanding in certain modules and concepts. I can do all the mathematical elements well including boolean algebra but my lack in understanding in key areas such as fundamentals of algorithms and fundamentals of communication and networking are not very good. I need some resources to help my understanding. Thanks
Doppelgengar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi! I'm doing AQA Computer Science right now as well.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA
I find this Wikibooks guide to be extremely helpful, and it has quite a lot of useful notes and summaries of different topics, including the fundamentals of algorithms, communication and networking. It's also worth looking through the pages on the old specification as well (especially the Computing project), as a lot of the content in the new spec isn't drastically different from the old one.

TeachICT is also useful, but recently they updated the site so there are articles you can only access if you're paying for subscription service, which is a bit of a bummer.

Hope this helps! ^-^
Arun99
Rep:
?
Thanks. This helps so much
Balabanator
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For you're NEA, if you want to do Java, use the following:

codecademy and other online resources too.

Not only will you be learning the essentials of one of the most demanded subjects, but projects in Java usually score higher in general because of its relative difficulty as a language, as well as its vast functionality and application.

Try to do your NEA over the summer if you're in Year 12 right now. You don't need to even do anything, just make sure you have a good idea of what you've chosen and you've covered at least a couple of the Group A objectives on the specification with a spice of your own creativity.

AQA spec website:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resource...17-SP-2015.PDF
Balabanator
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In terms of overall revision you'll want to kind of categorize the topic areas. Its good to be proficient in a certain language that your school is using for the skeleton code or what you've already been using for your NEA to actually solidify your learning of certain areas.

Here is one topic area:

Computing Fundamentals:
-Binary, hexadecimal, denary, etc. Multiplying, converting, adding and using two's complement. Understanding the bases and bit sizes and what binary fundamentally is in maths.
-Logic gates and Boolean Algebra. Differentiating between gate types' functionality in terms of binary and their appearance. Creating and understanding the connection of Boolean Algebra with logic gates and binary. Learning about basic Boolean Algebra rules like De Morgan's Law.
Arun99
Rep:
?
Thanks, I'll try and do this
urdad534534
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you watch anime?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
12.77%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (21)
22.34%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (42)
44.68%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
17.02%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
3.19%

Watched Threads