Which headphones do you use? Watch

DimiTheBrave
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I use the 11m Skullcandy full metal jacket earphones, really good. I recommend them as they are a true cheaper alternative to the EXTREMELY expensive Shure's.
Just wandering what other people use?
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Gumi/Gumy whatever they are...
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Shure E4Cs:

http://www.t3.co.uk/reviews/entertai...e4c_headphones

And these, the Sennheiser HD595s:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/inde...;pid;1293;pt;1
DimiTheBrave
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Axiom)
The Shure E4Cs:

http://www.t3.co.uk/reviews/entertai...e4c_headphones

And these, the Sennheiser HD595s:

http://www.goodgearguide.com.au/inde...;pid;1293;pt;1
Those shure's are way out of any price range, or what I generally give for headphones.
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by DimiTheBrave)
Those shure's are way out of any price range, or what I generally give for headphones.
Oh, I didn't actually pay that for them, that would be madness. I managed to get them from Amazon for £90 several months back, one of my best bargains from that site.
jasperstory
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
On the move: Shure E4cs and B&O A8s

At home: Senn HD650s
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Shure? Bang & Olufsen?

Pfft. Get yourselves some pedigree.
jasperstory
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
HD650s triumph over your piffle.

BTW, I thought e4c and Superfi Pros were supposed to be pretty much level, with maybe the latter edging it for strength, and the former for dynamism.

And, for the record, the A8s are the best non-sealing earphones I've ever tried. Not all of us want to be sucked into an anti-social world.
Axiom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by jasperstory)
I considered buying the HD650s, but my hi-fi isn't quite good enough for me to get the full potential from them. And I'm not financially secure enough to get entirely sucked into the world of the audiophile.
Exopaladin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Beyer Dynamic DT-770s at home, keep meaning to get a headphone amp for them. When I'm out I tend to use Sennheiser CX300s, keep meaning to buy some Koss KSC-75s and mod them slightly. Pretty cheap from Amazon and supposedly pretty damn good when you mod them slightly.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
"Not all of us want" to simulate participation in the original Apollo Moon-landing. (Though home-listening is, of course, an altogether different kettle of kippers.)

BTW, I thought e4c and Superfi Pros were supposed to be pretty much level, with maybe the latter edging it for strength, and the former for dynamism.
True; I'm probably thinking of the much-touted (and over-rated; and inordinately expensive) Etymotics.

And, for the record, the A8s are the best non-sealing earphones I've ever tried. Not all of us want to be sucked into an anti-social world.
Indeed: the half-second it takes me to remove my earbuds on those rare occasions when people charity-workers will ply me with their piteous attempts to compete alongside Beethoven, Liszt and Jamiroquai for my attention as I negotiate my way about town on-foot can prove terribly burdensome; though at least I've the amenity of being able to exclude car-horns/dog-barks/the obnoxious shrill of recently-spawned infants, which tend to comprise localised 'ambient' noise in your run-of-the-mill urban precinct.

They aren't 'active' noise-cancelling: it isn't as though I'll be any less capable of discerning solicitations/conversational overtures, nor any less incapable of engaging effectively with the aforesaid as the strains of Squarepusher's contortionistic bass-noodling seep into my brain.
Mr. Fox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Sennheiser HD595s.
jasperstory
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh, you're so smart Profesh - or, maybe sophomoric is more the word.

No-one in their right mind would consider wearing the HD650s out in public; most notably, because they are 'open'-type: the world's many noises would invade, rendering music you are listening to likely inaudible.

You've described to me a rather non-social world in which you inhabit; on this basis, I suppose my point about in-ear headphones being 'anti-social' isn't entirely relevant. I do, as many others, sometimes share in the pleasure of listening to in-ear headphones while wandering the streets on foot. However, there is something distinctly non-social about everyone being completely 'plugged in'.

Incidentally, Shure and Senn both have traditionally-recognised pedigree. Super-Fi, I believe, do not. My point is that different people have different needs, and that, for some, the SuperFi and Shure E4c may suffice. For others, the non-in-ear models will be better (for example, they reduce "microphonics", are easier to take in and out, and, in certain environments, do make listening to music more 'social').

However, and I do think it's an important point, top-quality headphones from Senn, Grado, Beyerdynamic and so on are probably the best way to go for sound-quality alone.
Trevor 12345
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Im not keen on wires so I use:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/12782.htm
(when Im not using my phone which has bluetooth)

with

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/6589.htm

or

http://www.foneplanet.com/upload/AUT...154167-190.jpg
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh, you're so smart Profesh - or, maybe sophomoric is more the word.
Oh, come now; you know that my rebuke, sarcasm notwithstanding, was perfectly warranted.

No-one in their right mind would consider wearing the HD650s out in public; most notably, because they are 'open'-type: the world's many noises would invade, rendering music you are listening to likely inaudible.
Really; and not because listening to music on the move is 'anti-social'? Anyway, facetiousness aside; my Super.fi 5 Pro earbuds may not embody the apogee for home-listening, but I'd opt for an exemplary domestic (and superlative itinerant) listening-experience over audiophile-standard headphones that, short of reverting to offensively tinny and bass-deficient expendable 'buds, will be to the wholesale exclusion of the latter: HD650s are damned expensive, after all, although I am somewhat au fait with their peerless reputation within the audiophile-community. Moreover my home, unlike the highways and byways of Bristol/Cheltenham, decidedly is a sociable environment; whereas I couldn't give two shakes about whether perfect strangers must suffer the inconvenience of having to tap me on the shoulder in order to garner my attention: suffice it to say that the sort of person apt to solicit me from a street-corner, thus, is not one that I am typically inclined to oblige, in any event.

You've described to me a rather non-social world in which you inhabit; on this basis, I suppose my point about in-ear headphones being 'anti-social' isn't entirely relevant.
Well, quite. The potential advantage of 'sealing' earbuds does, I would contend, outweigh any speculated social inconvenience; which having, in my experience, amounted to nothing more than the momentary obfuscation of chance, infrequent encounters with sometime acquaintances (for which I'd have to cease my music anyway, 'sealing' earbuds or no).

I do, as many others, sometimes share in the pleasure of listening to in-ear headphones while wandering the streets on foot. However, there is something distinctly non-social about everyone being completely 'plugged in'.
Well, I don't share the (dis)pleasure of inhabiting a small hamlet or suburban utopia/dystopia of the kind where everyone knows everybody else, strangers are just "friends you haven't met yet", and one has a vested interest in hearing (and responding) to Mr. Smith's jovial salutations from across the picket-fence.

Incidentally, Shure and Senn both have traditionally-recognised pedigree. Super-Fi, I believe, do not. My point is that different people have different needs, and that, for some, the SuperFi and Shure E4c may suffice. For others, the non-in-ear models will be better (for example, they reduce "microphonics", are easier to take in and out, and, in certain environments, do make listening to music more 'social').
Actually, Ultimate Ears do enjoy a somewhat extensive pedigree; it just hasn't been, until recently, a particularly accessible one. Furthermore, I'd contend that a key advantage of UE's 'super.fi' series is that, although 'sealing', they aren't true 'inner-ear' monitors of the sort that tend to require a laborious, ten-step insertion and extraction process: which is to say, they tend to be effectively no less 'social' than conventional earbuds.

However, and I do think it's an important point, top-quality headphones from Senn, Grado, Beyerdynamic and so on are probably the best way to go for sound-quality alone.
You're probably right; although professional musicians and sound-engineers (whose needs diverge somewhat from those of even the most discerning audiophile from among the casual-listening demographic) might aver otherwise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (253)
27.23%
No (676)
72.77%

Watched Threads