Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just been looking through this LAT, and I'm thinking off applying for English and Classics, and since I don't have any languages anywhere (no latin or french or anything even at GCSE) I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, and I'm certainly going to have to do well in this.

Now, having a flip through, or for anyone who has sat it - what is considered a 'good' score, and how much emphasis or importance will be held in this test?

I mean, let's say in percentages - is 70% pretty good? 80%?
    It's quite hard, I think, but hopefully manageable.

Also - my situation in general - is this a long long long shot? lol.

Thanks people xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if there's such a thing as an objectively good score. I certainly never even found out my score when I took it. As far as I remember, in the language interview (which all people applying without classical languages have when applying for classics) they picked up on one section I had struggled with and mostly talked about my experiences learning german. The problem with trying to gauge your performance based off of the online saple is that it's at least 50 % shorter than the version you will be presented with in Oxford. They take all factors into account when they assess you so if you perform well in the LAPT without any modern language it will bode wel for you, and they will o doubt take into account your lack of experience when looking at your score. That being said, you will have to work bloody hard never having done any language to pursuade them you will be able to cope, and then in being able to get to grips with greek or latin, neither of which are as simple as most modern languages.

But overall if you are strong enough you'll get through especially if you have a strong score in the Lapt. Just bear in mind classics at Oxford is very language based.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BornUnderPunches)
    I've just been looking through this LAT, and I'm thinking off applying for English and Classics, and since I don't have any languages anywhere (no latin or french or anything even at GCSE) I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, and I'm certainly going to have to do well in this.

Now, having a flip through, or for anyone who has sat it - what is considered a 'good' score, and how much emphasis or importance will be held in this test?

I mean, let's say in percentages - is 70% pretty good? 80%?
    It's quite hard, I think, but hopefully manageable.

Also - my situation in general - is this a long long long shot? lol.

Thanks people xxx
    Like Tenoch, I never even found out my score.
    They talk to you about it in a sort of mini interview the next day and from what I remember I did quite well in it - only two or three questions wrong I think - but they never told me the actual score.
    Not a long shot at all - just make sure you do as many practice LATs as you can (there are a few online) so that there are no surprises at the standard required and so that you can get used to the style of the tasks. It would also be worth investing in a decent grammar book so that you can get to grips with the basics of linguistic construction. You don't need to have studied phonetics or anything but they ask that they use phonetic terminology if you know it. I didn't know anything about phonetics and still did well in the test.
    Good luck and if you have any questions about the practice papers, please ask (you should be able to find them by typing 'Oxford' 'language aptitude test' into Google ).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.