The Student Room Group

Do I quit Uni? (Feel a bit trapped, Course and Uni not the right fit for me)

'm 20 now just had my birthday two weeks ago and I took a gap year. My gap year, I was an absolute idiot and didn't really do anything productive didn't even get a job. I took a gap year mainly due to anxiety and I wasn't sure about my course.

I ended up deferring and started in September doing the course at the same uni. 3 months in and I feel sort of trapped. Basically, my uni has great facilities but I dislike all but one of my lecturers and I don't enjoy of any of my lectures. I can do 3 of the 5 modules fine and I enjoy them at times but 1 module which has the most credit is one I am absolutely terrible at and haven't put as much effort in as I should've and I've fallen behind and can't catch up. I got 15/25 in the first coursework and 5/25 in the second coursework and need to do really well in my other modules to still get a first as I want a good placement. But my course is also very IT based and I don't want to do IT as a job although it's combined with management so has aspects of finance and business which is what I want to get into.
Also, my uni experience started great, I was quite sociable initally and was friendly and met a lot of people but then my anxiety started again. I was quite reluctant to put myself out there and became trapped in a group with my flatmates and I don't really have similar interests as to them and don't want to live with them next year and they've already asked me if I want to and I have no other group that I want to move in with. Also, I've never really been friends with girls and there's barely any in my course or block and they have their own groups now. I enjoy going out but there's only two places to go out in, one place is actually very good though. Societies, I've joined 3 but it's filled with 2nd years who are friends and in groups with all of each other so it's hard to be sociable.

I really like aspect that there's so many opportunities at uni, with all the different employer events and fairs where i've put my name out there and met a lof of companies and people. But I just haven't found a group where I can really relate with and still not made a really close friend that i have back at home. I have 6 exams in January which i'm revising for and it's going well but there's just me being unsure. 3 people I know have already dropped out of the uni in order to go straight into work. I personally really want to start up my own business but I'll be coming out of uni at 23 if I don't do a masters which is scary because I think in that 3 years, I could find opportunities for myself and progress and not just follow the same system that so many people follow. It's just at uni at times I feel trapped like there's a same rota lectures/going out/coursework/societies that you barely have time to do other things like focus on a business or be innovate.

If I stick with Uni there's a set plan with everything and I can do internships and placements and have experience and a degree but in the next 3 years if I really focus and find the right opportunities like others I know have done then maybe I could be in a great position by this time in 3 years. I know this is a decision only I can take but do I just follow the system or try my own thing is what's been on my mind since November and it's frankly so disruptive. I could maybe quit then see what happens in the next 5 months and if no progress has been made then maybe I can join a Uni that's in a live city which I probably would enjoy more. Another thing is my parents would be very very against me dropping out so the only thing I can do to calm them is show a opportunity that i've found and taken,

Massive respect to anyone that's read everything and would really appreciate any replies :smile:
Would you be able to apply to transfer to another uni where you might be happier?
Reply 2
Original post by markova21
Would you be able to apply to transfer to another uni where you might be happier?

I would want to go to Manchester but I think it's too late.
Original post by Gooney81
I would want to go to Manchester but I think it's too late.

You could always ask. If you don't ask you might be forever saying what if.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending