How old do you need to be to get engaged? Watch

staceybrigham
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
just wondering really.
my friend is getting married i think next month and she is 17 and hasnt been with the guy for long.
my sister is getting maried next year and she hasnt been with the guy for long eiather so what is the the right age to get engaged?
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think you can get engaged at any age.
Married at 16 with parental permission.
Married at 18 without.

Could be wrong though.
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is no 'right' age!

If they think they have found the right person, then that's great, but from what you've said they seem to be rushing into it.. oh well, I guess all you can do is be supportive!
staceybrigham
i will be but beh really if it doesnt work out it doesnt work out
Tailz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yeh i think you should be 18 coz you dont want to ask your parents...lol
Lolly-88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There's going to be loads of 'you should get engaged when it feels right' cliched repsonses to this thread. Personally i think getting engaged in late teens (18-19) or early twenties is ok but i really think marriage should be left until both people are finacially stable and have finished education...have jobs and have their own place to live. Ther's no point getting married if your life is a bit of disoreintated IMO.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There really is no sane reason to be married at 17.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Really up to them if they feel happy enough, obviously they need to realise what a huge step it is.
staceybrigham
my sister is settled in at home and has kids but i think she isnt so settled at the mo
Riim
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
There really is no sane reason to be married at 17.
:ditto:
Nix!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think anyone who marries before at least their mid-20s has rushed into it.
prettygreeneyes99
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
24 years 3 months and 6 hours is the exact right age to get engaged!
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Any age, although I'd leave it until at least 18. My sister was engaged at 17, although didn't marry for 11 years lol. Several of my friends married at 18.
staceybrigham
i agree with you all
i no that ppl say
'if they love each other it doesnt matter'
but it does i dont see getting engaged at a young age isnt right
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by staceybrigham)
i agree with you all
i no that ppl say
Personally I would only have got engaged at that age if it was one of those rare cases of two perfect people, and there is absolutely no hope of ever regretting not having relationships with other people. ie if Scarlett Johansonn proposed to me lol.
Ang|ophi|e
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
As for the right age to get engaged, regardless of law, as long as you can see yourself marrying this person and you love them then age shouldn't be a concern.
scribble_girl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In some groups it's just the done thing though, isn't it? All of my cousins on one side of the family got engaged and had children between the age of 16 and 22 - it's just how they did it around where they lived. If they hadn't and everyone else was, you'd be seen as quite out of the ordinary I suppose.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with getting engaged at about 22/23, but I don't see myself getting married until I'm at least 26. My parents were engaged for nearly 5 years before they actually got around to getting married, (although that was probably down to my dad dragging his heels :p:!) so there's nothing wrong with a long engagement...
kitty_koo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
my sister's 20 and she got engaged last month, shed been with her boyfriend about 6 months but they're gonna have one of them long engagements so she's not completely rushing into it :p: lol
stepheh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
god.. i remember when a whole load of girls [chavs] in year 11 got engaged to their boyfriends.

needless to say they all split up with them a few weeks/months later.

Although i don't see anything wrong with being engaged from about 18 onwards - i mean, just because you're engaged.. it doesn't mean its def going to work out. the only thing i disagree with, is people getting engaged really soon after meeting each other, and then getting married within a few months. although only if they're young.

personally, i'd love to be engaged now [hopefully my boyfriend won't read this..] but only with the intent of getting married in a few years [ at least 4]
tbm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by staceybrigham)
i agree with you all
i no that ppl say
What? That post makes no sense!

Why isnt it right? Just because its not right for you doesnt mean its not right for other people.

Personally I dont see anything wrong with getting engaged/married at a young age. If both people are committed to each other then wheres the harm in that?

My mum married my dad when she was 18 and they are still together now 25 years on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (113)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (173)
27.2%
Not great so far... (227)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.34%

Watched Threads