Turn on thread page Beta

Im sorry if this post is a bit morbid. Im not afraid of me dying but im really frightened of my family and friends dying. i know its stupid to dwell on these things and eventually it will happen and nothing i can do can change that but i really cant stop thinking about it and its making me feel physically sick with worry. Everytime my parents go to work or my brother goes to school im petrified they wont come back and i cant relax until they are.
    Im reading this post back and it sounds stupid but i cant help it, how can i stop thinking about these things over and over because its driving me mad, please help xxx
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd admit it's something I don't want to think about, but if death was to occur to any of my family, I would not want them to suffer pain.

ReputationRep:
    Hey chill out! Everyone gonna die one day, the people before us died and there is nothing we can do! Wel i follow a religion, i believe that this life is nothing compared to after-life!

Just think positive (r u a boy or girl, just wondering)

ReputationRep:
    Life is way to short to be worrying bout' kicking it. Think about it this way, imagine all the energy you're wasting worrying about something that probably won't happen. You could use this energy to make the one arounds you around you happy, for example cooking dinner. Make the most out of life while you still have it.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: The truth is at some point we are all going to die. You should enjoy your life and what you have now because we don't know what happens after death. You're not afraid of death but you're afarid of losing those you love. And that's perfectly okay. But you shouldn't stress over the things you have no control over.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm think its normal to think about that to some extent, fear of the unknown an everything...

ReputationRep:
    I think you live on through the legacy you leave on the world. Quite literally 'live on' if someone in the future takes the foundations of what you started and carries on your work and your values. So I accept that I will die one day, I probably won't be happy about it, but as long as I feel like I've done enough with my life I'll be satisfied.

And I know the same thing will happen to my family and my friends. So I like to think my role with them is to support them and encourage them to do their best before they die too. I wouldn't want to spend my time worrying about dying, I'd rather be spending my time thinking about what I'm going to do with my life whilst I'm still able to. Life isn't pointless if you believe you can change the world by making a contribution to it. Especially if that contribution will then live beyond your own life for others in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you have some kind of anxiety problem buddy.
    Perhaps you have lost someone close to you in the part and are afraid of this happening to a love one again...? I say talk to a counsellor, you shouldn't have to put yourself through the constant worry. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone feels like this at some time or another, I've been pretty much raised by my grandparents and they're like parents to me, sometimes I worry about them but the anxiety soon passes. After all, everyone will die one day.
    You said you weren't afraid of dying yourself, so could it be that you're scared of something happening to them without you being able to tell them you care about them? If that's the case try doing/saying things that let them know you love them. It might ease the anxiety a little.

ReputationRep:
    I must admit that I'm similar. I would be completely lost without my friends and I know I want to be the first of my family to die. Anything else wouldn't appear right to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Im sorry if this post is a bit morbid. Im not afraid of me dying but im really frightened of my family and friends dying. i know its stupid to dwell on these things and eventually it will happen and nothing i can do can change that but i really cant stop thinking about it and its making me feel physically sick with worry. Everytime my parents go to work or my brother goes to school im petrified they wont come back and i cant relax until they are.
    Im reading this post back and it sounds stupid but i cant help it, how can i stop thinking about these things over and over because its driving me mad, please help xxx
    It's not stupid at all to think about it, neither is that post :hugs:

When I was younger I used to have nightmares and constantly think an asteroid was going to hit the earth and just kill everything. That was my biggest fear. I can't stand the thought of someone close to me dying. It makes me cry just thinking about it. The only thing you can do is not think about it. I know that's not good advice at all, but death is a part of life, and it will happen when it happens. For now, I'm sure your friends and family are fine, and there's no need to think about them dying. But like some people are saying, maybe you have an anxiety problem. If it's really bothering you you should see a councellor. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    The fear isnt silly at all, its perfectly natural. I lost my dad in April, he was only 68 which seems kind of young to me. I am getting by but yes its hard, but I doubt he would want me to be feeling miserable......even though I do quite often, still not over it really but getting there. Talk to your friends and family and tell them how you feel, talking is often a good way to ease your fears.:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    While you're alive think about living. Now matter how much thought you put into death, it won't change anything. The only thing that might happen is that one day your body/mind just get so fed up of you thinking this over and worrying that it will just find a tiny fact for you to cling on to and that'll be it and you'll stop thinking about it for a few years. Then it will come back again... don't worry, everyone has thoughts like this every now and again until we have thought enough to be fed up and realise that these thoughts change absolutely nothing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 1, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.