?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
PLEASE REPLY. Exam boards are OCR for SOC and AQA for psy
Cluster1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't do either but from general knowledge of the subjects and what they involve the study of its more than likely sociology that is easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2926188
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cluster1)
Don't do either but from general knowledge of the subjects and what they involve the study of its more than likely sociology that is easier

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why not? and yeah probably easier than psy!
Suspectthrone59
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It all depends on you, because psychology is closely linked to Biology, and so can be challenging if you're not a "sciency" person or could be easy if you are.
username2926188
Rep:
?
(Original post by Suspectthrone59)
It all depends on you, because psychology is closely linked to Biology, and so can be challenging if you're not a "sciency" person or could be easy if you are.
Oh, right. I'm doing bio next year but i want something more softer to go with it as bio is difficult. I don't know man?
Suspectthrone59
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emerald7770)
Oh, right. I'm doing bio next year but i want something more softer to go with it as bio is difficult. I don't know man?
If i was in your situation, i would choose psychology, as it is easier than bio and is closely linked, but also i think has fewer essays than sociology, so potentially less work and with the overlap from bio might be "easier".
ChrisD0
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Both bad subject choices, not much better than the likes of Art or Photography. I would advise STEM based subjects; Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2110825
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sociology is a pathetic excuse for a subject. It pretends to be scientific without any of the rigour of science, it pretends to be philosophy so abstract even my teachers had to google it...

It evolves into a continual argument between perspectives in which nobody is right and everyone thinks they are.

Please, for the love of god, do Psychology.
Andrew002
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can only speak for psychology and biology. It is an incredibly interesting subject however it requires a huge amount of memorization and it is just as much work as Biology. Psychology tends to be much more about ideas and concepts while Biology is all about brute memorization and application. What I did to help me choose for my alevels was to start self-teaching some of the introductory concepts to see if it was enjoyable.
username2110825
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To add to my point, I present to you some legitimate beliefs from AS and A2:

"Prostitution is a safety valve so men don't take take out their sexual aggression on their partners"

"Stupidity is a biological factor"

"There are multiple realities in the modern world and they can't all be right. We need postmodernism to tell us this." (Aka our reality is right, but the rest aren't)

"Religion is a slave tool used by the upper classes"

"A study conducted in 1912 shows how societies functioned in the Triobriand isles." (Now make this somehow relevant to 2016 Britain)

"Black people cause more crime because they are alienated in school and form groups to become rebellious"

I could go on. Please save your brain cells and pick literally anything else.
Ruthie2267
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
can only vouch for AQA psychology: there's a lot of content - i know this is true for all a level subjects, but because psych is often considered as "soft" people often take it without realising this. not saying this is you ofc, but don't pick it wanting a super easy subject however, it is really interesting! I honestly love psychology and the topics you do for AQA are really fun imo. i have friends who wished they'd done psychology instead of sociology because they found it really boring, but they also found it pretty easy so...
if you're doing biology I can see you really enjoying biopsych, whereas sociology doesn't really have that aspect to it (I don't think so anyway???), so it's like the best of both worlds

what are you planning on studying at uni if you want to go? if you want to study a science then your best bet is probably psychology, which I think is generally more accepted as a science than sociology
username2926188
Rep:
?
(Original post by SkyRees)
Sociology is a pathetic excuse for a subject. It pretends to be scientific without any of the rigour of science, it pretends to be philosophy so abstract even my teachers had to google it...

It evolves into a continual argument between perspectives in which nobody is right and everyone thinks they are.

Please, for the love of god, do Psychology.
Wow. Honestly, i think sociology is quite interesting because it talks about issues like crime, family issues and stuff. But uh, i just want to pick one that'll be better for a nursing degree. Thanks, I'll consider it
Mekkiii
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sociology is easier but i feel Psychology more worthwhile in terms of what you wanna do later in life.
username2110825
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ruthie2267)
can only vouch for AQA psychology: there's a lot of content - i know this is true for all a level subjects, but because psych is often considered as "soft" people often take it without realising this. not saying this is you ofc, but don't pick it wanting a super easy subject however, it is really interesting! I honestly love psychology and the topics you do for AQA are really fun imo. i have friends who wished they'd done psychology instead of sociology because they found it really boring, but they also found it pretty easy so...
if you're doing biology I can see you really enjoying biopsych, whereas sociology doesn't really have that aspect to it (I don't think so anyway???), so it's like the best of both worlds

what are you planning on studying at uni if you want to go? if you want to study a science then your best bet is probably psychology, which I think is generally more accepted as a science than sociology
Sociology doesn't have Biopsych; they spend most of their time actively arguing against Biologists, so while Bio is teaching you one thing, Soc will teach you another's and that could confuse you, it did me with Psych.
username2110825
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emerald7770)
Wow. Honestly, i think sociology is quite interesting because it talks about issues like crime, family issues and stuff. But uh, i just want to pick one that'll be better for a nursing degree. Thanks, I'll consider it
I'm sorry if that's...a bit strong? I just legitimately saw it as a very flawed subject compared to Psych and Philo, which I also took. It was like an insult to your intelligence, though that might have been my teachers ^^'

Psych is better for any type of caring role, and there is an element of sociology in it anyway; "social psychology" is a major strand and that way you don't really need to pick

It is your choice, I'm sorry ;-;

Btw; the family element wouldn;t be that useful for nursing - it only poses political suggestions of why family issues run or what the best way to run it is, rather than addressing concerns over what can be done to help the children.

The education unit is probably the most useful, because it takes into account the effects of housing, poverty and real life issues which your patients could well be suffering from.

Your A2 option could either be really useful, or not at all; mine was Religion, which doesn;t help a nurse too much. There's a Health in Society option that could be quite helpful to you, though.

Crime is useful to an extent because it signfies the groups most at risk in society, but it's also heavily subjective and more political than medical. You would be considering why crime happens rather than how it could be prevented or how to help the victims.

Some places off an A Level in Health and Social Care - if they offer it I believe that would help you a lot
colorado
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sociology is easy, but it's also very interesting! Never did psychology I'm afraid although it looks quite good from what I've heard. I don't think sociology is very scientific though
Tigerking99
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have never studied Psychology but I did do Sociology GCSE and I obtained a B grade, I am also studying it as one of my A Levels, alongside Politics and English Language. I would however, say that it is more than likely that Sociology is easier because Psychology has a large Maths aspect i.e. a lot of statistics for psychology studies which Sociology does not have as much of which is why at most Sixth Forms a B grade Maths GCSE is needed for entry onto Psychology courses and also at top universities Psychology courses sometimes requires A Level Maths or GCSE Maths at grade A/A*, Psychology's content is also much likely harder and more abstract but with more content to digest. I would say that at degree level the gap in difficulty between Psychology and Sociology narrows, however Psychology experiments/studies would most likely be harder than Sociology ones. I think they are both pretty good subjects though, however I believe Psychology is more well-respected by universities. You should not be deterred from studying Psychology though if that is what you want then go for it as it is a good subject or so I have heard.
username2926188
Rep:
?
(Original post by SkyRees)
I'm sorry if that's...a bit strong? I just legitimately saw it as a very flawed subject compared to Psych and Philo, which I also took. It was like an insult to your intelligence, though that might have been my teachers ^^'

Psych is better for any type of caring role, and there is an element of sociology in it anyway; "social psychology" is a major strand and that way you don't really need to pick

It is your choice, I'm sorry ;-;
No, that's okay! You've given me a lot of detail to make my decision. Some of the questions are quite odd, i must admit. But is it easier??
Len Goodman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You shouldn't be taking something just because it's easy. Take something you're actually interested in instead.
username2926188
Rep:
?
Okay.
Sociology is easier but psychology is the more respected from universities and more intelligent. Got it, thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Foundation Year Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Regent's University London
    Psychotherapy Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Jul '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (125)
19.72%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (59)
9.31%
No I am happy with my course choice (357)
56.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (93)
14.67%

Watched Threads