Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i know both these unis are realy comptitive but does anyone have any info on which is easier to get into?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure which is easier, and i'd say its a pretty bad question to ponder, since all Medical Schools have very unique admissions policies, and therefore comparing them is no minor feat. This said, Imperial requires applicants to sit the BMAT, which, from personal experience, is definitely the hardest Medical admissions test of the lot. Imperial is also generally considered the 'better' university overall, so based on this info, i'd say (with great reluctance and not-so-much weight on saying it), that UCL would be marginally easier to get into, particularly on the academic side...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitch87)
    I'm not entirely sure which is easier, and i'd say its a pretty bad question to ponder, since all Medical Schools have very unique admissions policies, and therefore comparing them is no minor feat. This said, Imperial requires applicants to sit the BMAT, which, from personal experience, is definitely the hardest Medical admissions test of the lot. Imperial is also generally considered the 'better' university overall, so based on this info, i'd say (with great reluctance and not-so-much weight on saying it), that UCL would be marginally easier to get into, particularly on the academic side...
    So does UCL

I see them as equally hard to get into

ReputationRep:
    ROFL

If you're looking for 'easiest' options, I'm not convinced medicine at either of those places is really right for you.

ReputationRep:
    my first 3 choices are 'normal' med schools and im stuck between these two for my final choice. Im only looking for the easier option because i want atleast 1 offer, not because im not academically capable.

i got 5 A's at AS in biology, chemistry, maths, history, GS and pretty much all A stars at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    . This said, Imperial requires applicants to sit the BMAT, which, from personal experience, is definitely the hardest Medical admissions test of the lot.

UCL also require the BMAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiakhanom)
    UCL also require the BMAT
    RTFT.

ReputationRep:
    my first 3 choices are 'normal' med schools and im stuck between these two for my final choice. Im only looking for the easier option because i want atleast 1 offer, not because im not academically capable.
    Two things.

There are no 'special' medical schools, they are all 'normal', they are all broadly the same standard.

Academic requirement is one of the smallest discriminating factors between medical school.

ReputationRep:
    'Normal' medical schools?! Pray, do enlighten me on the difference between normal and special ones!!

ReputationRep:
    renal.
    im sorry im not an internet goon,i dont understand ur abbreviations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    'Normal' medical schools?! Pray, do enlighten me on the difference between normal and special ones!!

i would say oxbridge, ucl and imperial are different to the rest because they come top of most med school league tables, require the BMAT and are the most competitive. also theyre courses are 6 years.

ReputationRep:
    OOhhhhh, well I didnt know that UCL asked for the BMAT. Oh well, there you go then, pretty equal in their admissions policy. I think its pretty incorrect for you to refer to UCL/Imperial as not 'normal' universities too. You can't treat Medical schools as you can with other subjects, and place them in a specific hierarchy. There will many many applicants that Imperial/UCL would snap up, whereas others would'nt even give an interview...

ReputationRep:
    i just wanted to know which uni people thought i would be more likely to get into if i apply.

UCL and imperial both require BMAT. However UCL requires AAB and a pass at another AS subject. they also give some preference to a non science such as History at As/A2 which i did at AS.

Imperial have raised their entry requirements to AAA and a B at another As subject. it was AABb last year.

i know imperial looks harder to get into but given my academic background would i be better of applying there.

ReputationRep:
    Well it sounds to me like your after somewere prestigeous and academic lol, so I'd say have a bash at Imperial. Academics wise, you sound fine from what you've said, and as long as you have sufficient work-experience/voluntary work and all that jazz, you've a fighting chance....

Good luck!!

P.S. Write & think FAST in your BMAT - times a *****!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think its pretty incorrect for you to refer to UCL/Imperial as not 'normal' universities too. You can't treat Medical schools as you can with other subjects, and place them in a specific hierarchy. There will many many applicants that Imperial/UCL would snap up, whereas others would'nt even give an interview...
    ...who are as 'good' or better candidates.

Well said Mitch.

ReputationRep:
    Just want to repeat the point about medicine not being the career choice for anyone who starts with "Easy option" questions. First thing to expect when setting out on this road is disappointment, difficulty and the occasional bout of bone-crushing misery. I mean, its not that bad and the day I stop enjoying it I'll quit but you have to accept that nasty rough edge that medicine has as part of the fun.

ReputationRep:
    i would say oxbridge, ucl and imperial are different to the rest because they come top of most med school league tables, require the BMAT and are the most competitive. also theyre courses are 6 years.
    Most unis have the option of doing a 6 year course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEH)
    Just want to repeat the point about medicine not being the career choice for anyone who starts with "Easy option" questions. First thing to expect when setting out on this road is disappointment, difficulty and the occasional bout of bone-crushing misery. I mean, its not that bad and the day I stop enjoying it I'll quit but you have to accept that nasty rough edge that medicine has as part of the fun.
    Yes

And the number of frustrating threads is annoying me!
    When i applied it was the same
    My advice is to put ur head down, do your research and get on with it
    And finally, be prepared for rejection, even if your the best person on earth in your opinion

ReputationRep:
    i just wanted to know which uni people thought i would be more likely to get into if i apply.

UCL and imperial both require BMAT. However UCL requires AAB and a pass at another AS subject. they also give some preference to a non science such as History at As/A2 which i did at AS.

Imperial have raised their entry requirements to AAA and a B at another As subject. it was AABb last year.

i know imperial looks harder to get into but given my academic background would i be better of applying there.
    We have no idea what else you offer other than your grades, so nobody here can tell you that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    ROFL

If you're looking for 'easiest' options, I'm not convinced medicine at either of those places is really right for you.
    Or anywhere else for that matter

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 2, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.