The Student Room Group

Picking up another AS??

I'm thinking of picking up another AS next year and right now it's between psychology, sociology and german.

I'm not so sure about the psychology because I sat in on a lesson about err, learning pathways or something and it bored me to tears. But then my friends say that really was a bad lesson to sit in on so.........

Sociology sounds really interesting and I think it'd compliment my literature A-Level pretty well. But I really don't have that much of an idea what it's like....

German, well, if I take this it'll be because I think it'd help in the future - like with job prospects. My dad's first language in German too so I'd be able to get help on stuff from him if I need it. In fact, from what I've heard that'd be a major advantage because languages have a really bad rep in terms of the workload.

So! Does anyone have an input on this. I'm really struggling to make this choice. I'm going to be applying for biology at university, possibly a few combined honours courses like biology and anthropology/sociology/behaviour.
Reply 1
What are your current A levels? If you don't have a language at A level already, they DO look good so I'd recommend German :smile:
MadNatSci
What are your current A levels? If you don't have a language at A level already, they DO look good so I'd recommend German :smile:

Don't listen to her! I'd recommend no more subjects... Why overstretch yourself and risk getting lower grades across the shop? I'd go for, and actually did go for, the minimum possible (and not attend lectures for them either :redface:)
I'd recommend German :biggrin:

C ya,

Jordan
I reckon psychology would be good to have with biology. Look at a few psych books and see if it interests you. If not then sociology is a relatively easy AS to take and also interesting.
Reply 5
polthegael
Don't listen to her! I'd recommend no more subjects... Why overstretch yourself and risk getting lower grades across the shop? I'd go for, and actually did go for, the minimum possible (and not attend lectures for them either :redface:)

Why not, if he wants to?! :tongue:
MadNatSci
Why not, if he wants to?! :tongue:

Indeed... But my point is still valid. If he over-stretches himself and then fails to get in whereever he wants to go, he'll be gutted. You are at Cam... What was your offer? Did you do more subjects than it?

I already had AAAA and got accepted. If I took seven subjects and got AAAAABB I think the'd have looked more harshly on me. The fact is that, with three or four subjects at A, one can only give you the benefit of the doubt as to what you'd get in other subjects. Actually take them, and mess up, then you are sunk. I can't believe I'd have gotton so many 100%s or even A's had I have given myself more work to do. Furthermore, I might have actually have had to get out of bed and go to college - and that really would have sucked! :tongue:

If he liked the other subjects so much, he should have taken them already or drop something in order to do them, in my opinion...

:smile:
Reply 7
Well, I did maths, chem, bio and literature for my AS year. I really regret placing so much emphasis on such hardcore science - that's why I think sociology/german might be a better option. I'm dropping maths btw.
Reply 8
German of course.
Firstly, it's your father's mother tongue. Secondly, language skill will help you a lot and open many doors in your future life. Thirdly, the other two are considered micky mouse subjects by some top universities.
Reply 9
jinsisi
German of course.
Firstly, it's your father's mother tongue. Secondly, language skill will help you a lot and open many doors in your future life. Thirdly, the other two are considered micky mouse subjects by some top universities.

Yeah, s'wat I was thinking.

Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending