Report 4 years ago
What's the average day like during BT?
PrivatePeaceful
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A few actually;

What's the wifi like for contacting home?
Do you get the weekends off and how feasible is it you can go home?
What time do you have to yourself?
What's your level of fitness and how did you cope?
How long are you on SATTs for?
Dylan_123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
[QUOTE=PrivatePeaceful;69356078]A few actually;

What's the wifi like for contacting home? At the moment there is no wifi at Halton, but it's coming soon. The 3G/4g is rubbish but I managed to always be able to contact home. There's also a pay phone if you need it.

Do you get the weekends off and how feasible is it you can go home? You don't get a day off for 4 weeks until your "test week" then you get home leave. We had people fly back to N.ireland that weekend so you can go home if you want too. After that it depend how your flight is weather you get time off. We got 3 home leave and all the 3 local leaves (local town) but we were really good.

What time do you have to yourself? First couple of week you'll wake up around 5 and not stop until around half 10 11. On mod 2 it's get better but it depends on how good you are at time management and how fast you can square your kit away

What's your level of fitness and how did you cope? My fitness isn't very good but as long as you can get level 9.10 on bleep test if you a lad or like 8 if you a lass you'll be fine. The Pti know you won't be amazingly fit they just want 100% of you at all times
How long are you on SATTs for? I'm not on satts at all cause my phase 2 starts on the 9th but most people on my course are. Some people will be there for months other and a week of too.
Dylan_123
Rep:
?
]What's the average day like during BT
Personally I woke at 5 everyday, one hour of cleaning my bed space and doing my block job, go to breakfast for 1/4 past 6 eat till half past go back. Have inspection which I hated! You have inspection everyday of mod one but in mod 2 and 3 it's a couple time a week. In mod one most of the day will be learing drill and GST (general service test) you will do a written exam on gst but it's easy if you revise the lessons. You get tested on drill but as a flight so don't worry if you bad. In the evenings you will get kit prep so you learn how to iron stuff and how to present you clothes. You can get extra kit prep if needed. In mod 2 you got to ifpt which is initial force protection you do first aid for a week then Cbrn which is gas stuff then a week of rifles and the cbt (blue warrior) that's the best bit about the course. In mod 3 it all parade practice so you drill for about 4 hours a day then just chill which good
PrivatePeaceful
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Brilliant!! Thankyou.. one more question;

What's the deal with the dentist in week 1? Is dental work compulsory or what? I am not very fond of the dentist..
Dylan_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by PrivatePeaceful)

What's the deal with the dentist in week 1? Is dental work compulsory or what? I am not very fond of the dentist..
You have to go to dentist for a check up, if you need a little bit done like a filling they will do it there, but if it's a lot you will go on satts and do it then.
Wibi2006
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PrivatePeaceful)

Unfortunately depending on your dental health you may have to have up to 3 fillings done straight away, that's what I had to have and yes it is compulsory.

Before I went to basic training I had a huge phobia of needles, in my first week including them fillings I had to have a total of 8 injections with vaccinations and blood being taken and had no choice in the matter! Needles no longer bother me: after that I got over it because I had to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
HFC26
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What role have you gone in for? And how big is the gap between basic and phase 2?
Dylan_123
Rep:
?
What role have you gone in for? And how big is the gap between basic and phase 2?
My trade is chef and I had two weeks of but that was because we passed out just before Christmas and all recruits get a bit of for Christmas, I don't think you get any time but I'm not sure 🤔 I'm pretty sure you just move over to satts until you start your course?
Revie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Halton is getting WiFi now? What has happened to that place?

People say I had it easier because I never had to do sock night
Dylan_123
Rep:
?

It's cushy now sock night?
Revie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dylan_123)

It's cushy now sock night?
Damn right it's easier. Duvets and a bus to IFPT is a right piss take.

Sock night from what I've heard was like the 5th or 6th night where you have to hand sew a name label into all the socks you were issued. Absolute nightmare I heard
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sock night (I think it was day 3 or 4 when I went through) followed by a fitness test the next day was bloody horrible. I must have been up until 0230 attempting (failing) to sew labels onto socks & then we had to be up about 0500 to do the RAFFT. I'm not sure how I made it through that bleep test.

I didn't actually get *******ed for the socks which also really surprises me as they were bloody awful. I remember staying up the into the next night to re-do them out of personal pride though & I've still got most of those socks with the labels on almost 6 years later so maybe I didn't do such a bad job in the end. Thank goodness for iron on labels.

What I will say is that the "real" air force isn't really anything like Basic so if you hate Halton it certainly doesn't mean you'll hate air force life too.
Ggilliland
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey mate! Hopefully you're still alive on this thread.

What's arrival day like? How was getting a buzz cut?

And what are the dormitories/showers like?

Cheers
Dylan_123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Arrival day is very busy and everyone is nervous you have to do plenty of paper work that day, it took me a few days to settle in

The blocks are very good, always tidy cause you will get inspected on them, the bathrooms are nice with at least 6 shower per floor and maybe a bath

Getting the hair cut is fun everyone is in the same boat so all you can do is laugh about it
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jakedavies9998)
hi pal hopefully you'll reply to this thread. im due to start basic training in a couple of weeks and i know there is an initial medical in the first week.

unfortunatly i went out for a couple of drinks with some "friends" and apparently the next day they told me i got spiked. im really angry and fumin about the news, so i just wanna know whats involved in the initial medical when on arrival at RTS?

cheers
It's been about 6 years since I did my initial medical so I can't remember if they take a drugs test during it. There's a good chance you may by tested for drugs within basic training however by the CTD team who demand urine samples at random.
I'd have thought your best course of action is to tell the police - you don't necessarily have to dob anyone in but at least get it on record.
Maybe see your GP too if you can?
username421348
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Did you feel like you had been spiked? If so, go to the police and contact the careers office.

The initial medical won't comprise a drugs test, but you can be tested at any time throughout your career; this could be day 1, 10, 100...

Edited to add: You have entered what I presume to be your real name on this forum. The staff at Halton have been known to monitor this site (with embarrassing results for some) so have some integrity and get in touch with the careers office ASAP.
Hat_h
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello! Well done for completing it, what are you up to now? I know that you probably don't know the answer to this, but it's worth a shot: does anyone know the upcoming intake dates for basic training?
L_NM
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Guys,

Was just wondering, whats more difficult, the fitness test or the PRTC bleep test? worried about falling at the last hurdle!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (117)
52.47%
No (106)
47.53%

Watched Threads