The Student Room Group

Can I get into dentistry with LOW GCSE grades?

So I basically failed myself and my parents with my crap GCSE's.
I got:
English Language: A*
Mathematics: A*
Punjabi: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
Biology: A
History: A*
Electronics: A*
English Literature: A
Geography: A
French: B

Additional Maths FSMQ: A

Now I know they're crap and all and that people who do get into dentistry or medicine are gods with 14 A* grades at GCSE and everything and that I should be their slave or whatever, but I saw somewhere that someone with ONLY 6 A*grades got in? Was that person the admission tutor's child or something? Oh yea , before I forget i'm doing plenty of volunteering at a care home and blind centre. I've done a autumn mini medical school at B'ham and have shadowed a pediatrician. I think my extra curriculars are not the worst. I solve Rubik's cubes (at competitions), done charity stuff, play guitar, will start a few clubs at school etc.

Overall, I just want to know my chances of getting into dentistry because I know I can't apply to B'ham as i'm **** but do I have a shadow of a chance of a miracle happening and getting anywhere else?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by akash3141
I got:

Now I know they're crap and all and that people who do get into dentistry or medicine are gods with 14 A* grades at GCSE and everything and that I should be their slave or whatever, but I saw somewhere that someone with ONLY 6 A*grades got in? Was that person the admission tutor's child or something? Oh yea , before I forget i'm doing plenty of volunteering at a care home and blind centre. I've done a autumn mini medical school at B'ham and have shadowed a pediatrician. I think my extra curriculars are not the worst. I solve Rubik's cubes (at competitions), done charity stuff, play guitar, will start a few clubs at school etc.

Overall, I just want to know my chances of getting into dentistry because I know I can't apply to B'ham as i'm **** but do I have a shadow of a chance of a miracle happening and getting anywhere else?

Thanks!

That B in French will be your downfall to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got:

Thanks!

Such bad grades! All I maxed out with was C grades.
Reply 3
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't even know what to do with my life anymore. People say I CAN but CAN is not good enough, I need to know for sure. I got the highest at my old school but even they think I'm stupid idk why.
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido

Posted from TSR Mobile

2nd that, your doomed
Trollllllllllllllll. Very humorous

Posted from TSR Mobile
LoL i'm actually being serious you know, no joke. For real, do I have a chance anywhere?

Yes you do
not bragging much :colondollar:
I got:
Punjabi: A*

Thanks!

The average GCSE grade for a Dentistry applicant is between 30-35 A*, 30 as a minimum. You might as well try your luck on a NVQ course for fashion m8
I don't even know what to do with my life anymore. People say I CAN but CAN is not good enough, I need to know for sure. I got the highest at my old school but even they think I'm stupid idk why.

Maybe they think you're stupid because you're bragging and you're obviously a troll.
Well the fact is if I took your a-levels could take medicine at any uni (pretty much) and I have 6 A's 2 B's and 2 C's. So stop trolling saying 'my results are bad' it's pathetic. If yours genuinely real, do some actual research and stop putting yourself down, if that profile is real your stuff is perfect, if it's fake then get off it's annoying and degrading to other people on here who haven't done as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Brooklyn2000
Well the fact is if I took your a-levels could take medicine at any uni (pretty much) and I have 6 A's 2 B's and 2 C's. So stop trolling saying 'my results are bad' it's pathetic. If yours genuinely real, do some actual research and stop putting yourself down, if that profile is real your stuff is perfect, if it's fake then get off it's annoying and degrading to other people on here who haven't done as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

preach
Reply 12
Original post by sunshine774
Maybe they think you're stupid because you're bragging and you're obviously a troll.

I'm not, if you think i'm lying I can show you my grades!? I'm GENUINELY concerned because i've seen people on here with far better profiles than me get 4 rejections and with a B target in bio, what chance do I have?
Reply 13
Original post by Brooklyn2000

Posted from TSR Mobile

No i'm not joking at all it is real. As I said, there's people with much better profiles than me getting rejected so i'm only trying to get advice on if I have a chance?
I'm not, if you think i'm lying I can show you my grades!? I'm GENUINELY concerned because i've seen people on here with far better profiles than me get 4 rejections and with a B target in bio, what chance do I have?

WHY ARE YOU CONCERNED?! Just focus on your A LEVELS so you get the best grades possible and stop worrying about GCSE's, you can't change them now- they're very good anyway!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 15
Original post by sunshine774
WHY ARE YOU CONCERNED?! Just focus on your A LEVELS so you get the best grades possible and stop worrying about GCSE's, you can't change them now- they're very good anyway!!!!!!!!!!!

My GCSE grades are far below average for most medics and I got a target grade of B in biology for the mocks. I've not even revised for them so i'll probably fail everything apart from maths which i'll get above 90 % in hopefully but then with rubbish mocks, i'll get rubbish predictions and no offers. That's why :frown: :/ .
My GCSE grades are far below average for most medics and I got a target grade of B in biology for the mocks. I've not even revised for them so i'll probably fail everything apart from maths which i'll get above 90 % in hopefully but then with rubbish mocks, i'll get rubbish predictions and no offers. That's why :frown: :/ .

You're taking the piss now...
Just stop, you're not funny. You didn't reply to the fact that I can get into many Unis with my results for grades. So stop being an idiot saying you need 14 A*. That's completely ridiculous. We had a Bristol university lecturer (one of the best universities in the uk) come into our college saying I would be ok if I wanted to. He said that the highest universities ask for is 5 A*/A then A-levels vary.

In response to your last comment, it's your fault you haven't revised. So what your target is low, prove them wrong. Only you know your capabilities so do whatever you want. You're asking for help and people have said and you're still being childish. There's nothing else to answer. It's done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You all took the b8.

My friend did Dentistry at UoB and got 4A* at GCSE
You're good enough in terms of GCSE's
Not many people at all get straight A*'s
You have to revise, it's now or never with A Levels

Latest