Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Compulsary service in the armed forces. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys and girls think of the idea? Should it be brought back in light of the difficulty of recruiting sustainable levels of troops?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    What do you guys and girls think of the idea? Should it be brought back in light of the difficulty of recruiting sustainable levels of troops?
    There's a difficulty? News to me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know how it would work if it was brought back but would it really be fair to get people to fight in wars that they don't even believe are justified?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kez-man)
    There's a difficulty? News to me.
    When is there never a difficulty? Its historic. Besides who would really want to do what they do for the level of pay they get? I get paid the same as a frontline private in Iraq and I am a temp!

Why are you saying no? Explain y!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    I don't really know how it would work if it was brought back but would it really be fair to get people to fight in wars that they don't even believe are justified?
    For Queen and Country. No war is ever justified. I wouldn't fight in a war I didn't believe in, I would fight for my friends and family. Not for the reason the governments give, what worth has that?

ReputationRep:
    When is there never a difficulty? Its historic. Besides who would really want to do what they do for the level of pay they get? I get paid the same as a frontline private in Iraq and I am a temp!

Why are you saying no? Explain y!!
    The current war does in no way threaten our way of life, thats why I voted no. meh

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for it. It will teach people life-skills, discipline and respect, it will get people off drugs and it will prepare many people for a solid career. It can teach things schools can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kez-man)
    The current war does in no way threaten our way of life, thats why I voted no. meh
    So you will let others do your dieing for you?

ReputationRep:
    No war is ever justified.

What about the war against the Nazis? what about the spanish civil war?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    I'm all for it. It will teach people life-skills, discipline and respect, it will get people off drugs and it will prepare many people for a solid career. It can teach things schools can't.
    Exactly why I think it should be brought back. Even just a spell for a few years in the RAF Cadet Force taught me a hell of alot, i.e. responsibility, I managed to get to the rank of corporal before i had to leave, I reached 18. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    What about the war against the Nazis? what about the spanish civil war?

MB
    The Nazis were never our problem. Hitler never wanted war with the British Empire. The Spanish Civil War? Surely that was Spains war, after all what right do we have to get involved in another countries Civil War?

No war is justified. Killing is killing, no matter what the cause. To kill to get rid of evil is to become evil yourself.

ReputationRep:
    The Nazis were never our problem. Hitler never wanted war with the British Empire. The Spanish Civil War? Surely that was Spains war, after all what right do we have to get involved in another countries Civil War?

No war is justified. Killing is killing, no matter what the cause. To kill to get rid of evil is to become evil yourself.
    Deary me, of course WWII was necessary, Hitler made no secret of his wish to conquer all of Europe.

Do you prefer oppression and misery to war?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Deary me, of course WWII was necessary, Hitler made no secret of his wish to conquer all of Europe.

Do you prefer oppression and misery to war?
    Not at all but why fight a war that could have been avoided? There was no need to fight it as Hitler was more than happy to leave us alone as he wanted to conquer all of MAINLAND europe, which leaves us rather out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all but why fight a war that could have been avoided? There was no need to fight it as Hitler was more than happy to leave us alone as he wanted to conquer all of MAINLAND europe, which leaves us rather out of it.
    So he sent the Luftwaffe over just to say hello did he?

And you would have been happy for him to conquer all of Europe by force?

ReputationRep:
    The Nazis were never our problem. Hitler never wanted war with the British Empire.
    i) Hitler made no secret of invading Britain, and would have after having consolidated and united his power across mainland Europe.
    ii) Nazi Germany was an ideological problem, there is no way we could live peacefully next to a Nazi mainland europe, much less see other European nations surrender to the methods and thinking of Hitler.

ReputationRep:
    I would refuse to go if I was called up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i) Hitler made no secret of invading Britain, and would have after having consolidated and united his power across mainland Europe.
    ii) Nazi Germany was an ideological problem, there is no way we could live peacefully next to a Nazi mainland europe, much less see other European nations surrender to the methods and thinking of Hitler.
    Oh wow. I agree totally with Vienna. *head explodes*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    So he sent the Luftwaffe over just to say hello did he?

And you would have been happy for him to conquer all of Europe by force?
    The only reason he did that was because we forced his hand in 1939 by declaring war on Germany after their invasion of Poland and fought with France in the Battle of France later on in the year. Hitler could not leave a potential powerhouse (alabeit declining) such as britain on an exposed flank, he either had to damage us enough to nullify our potentiall to attack him or conquer.

The only reason Operation Sealion was ever formulated was because we forced his hand.

Yes I would of been happy for him to conquer all of Europ by force as like i said before, killing to stop killing is just as wrong a the killing you are trying to stop.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason he did that was because we forced his hand in 1939 by declaring war on Germany after their invasion of Poland and fought with France in the Battle of France later on in the year. Hitler could not leave a potential powerhouse (alabeit declining) such as britain on an exposed flank, he either had to damage us enough to nullify our potentiall to attack him or conquer.

The only reason Operation Sealion was ever formulated was because we forced his hand.

Yes I would of been happy for him to conquer all of Europ by force as like i said before, killing to stop killing is just as wrong a the killing you are trying to stop.
    We had a Pact with Poland, it's called helping the needy.

What about the social problems in Nazi Europe and the continued persecution of jews? You would have been happy for that to continue?

ReputationRep:
    because we forced his hand in 1939 by declaring war on Germany after their invasion of Poland and fought with France in the Battle of France later on in the year. Hitler could not leave a potential powerhouse (alabeit declining) such as britain on an exposed flank, he either had to damage us enough to nullify our potentiall to attack him or conquer.
    i think that answers your point. i) he invaded British allies. ii) saw Britain as a threat. but he had no problems with us?

i see defending my right to live as morally superior to inflicting death on innocent people. you cant make the moral diffierence between saving a life and taking one.

im interested in your ideas regarding security. since you dont advocate killing, by what other means do you propose a continent, a nation, a town, a village, a family, a person defend itself? if at all.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.