Turn on thread page Beta

Compulsary service in the armed forces. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    Hitler's wish for peace was however completely irrelavant. That is a bit like us supporting a country in nuking a whole continent as long as they leave us alone. We have responsabilities, and the actions of one country will affect our country.
    It's not irrelevent from the point of view of answering the question "Was the war with Nazi Germany necessary"?

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt complusary service cost loads though? Id prefer it's be used for the NHS. Plus I dont like the idea of a military based country, it would seem threatening to other countries.

Would women be included? I wanted to be an RAF pilot only to be told im not allowed, and i should try the Navy.

How can u compare a fighter plane to a bloody ship!

ReputationRep:
    Look at this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    It's not irrelevent from the point of view of answering the question "Was the war with Nazi Germany necessary"?
    Of course it was necessary, how could we have traded with our neighbours, if Germany killed them all!

ReputationRep:
    Getting this thread back on track. I think that certain sectors of society would certainly benifit from military service however realistically its very expensive to do and altho it would benfit the individual i am not sure how benifitiual it would be for the country. Would i also be right in saying the German's are thinking of abolishing it? (military service) and if you take a country like Israel where they are forced to do it then i think it is not a good policy.

ReputationRep:
    I would not necessarily agree that military service benefits the individual, either. You're out of school, you can't take a gap year, you're in the forces for 9 months (here in Germany anyway) and if you plan on doing a long degree (like medicine, or scientific research) it's quite a problem because you will be competing with younger people from other countries who will have the same qualifications. Take a guess as to who will get the job :rolleyes:

I explained in the other thread what Germany's position is at the moment, I will explain it further if you want me to. Sorry I got a bit too worked up about it I feel everyone would benefit if military service were abolished. Europe is at peace now (thank God), what we need now are professional armies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    wouldnt complusary service cost loads though? Id prefer it's be used for the NHS. Plus I dont like the idea of a military based country, it would seem threatening to other countries.

Would women be included? I wanted to be an RAF pilot only to be told im not allowed, and i should try the Navy.

How can u compare a fighter plane to a bloody ship!
    There are women pilots in the RAF I am sure. I swear I met one flying Ground Reconnaissance Tornado's for The Dambusters (617 Squadron) when i was up at RAF Lossiemouth.

They may have meant the Royal Naval Air Force, you never know you might get to fly the Sea Harrier!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    I would not necessarily agree that military service benefits the individual, either. You're out of school, you can't take a gap year, you're in the forces for 9 months (here in Germany anyway) and if you plan on doing a long degree (like medicine, or scientific research) it's quite a problem because you will be competing with younger people from other countries who will have the same qualifications. Take a guess as to who will get the job :rolleyes:

I explained in the other thread what Germany's position is at the moment, I will explain it further if you want me to. Sorry I got a bit too worked up about it I feel everyone would benefit if military service were abolished. Europe is at peace now (thank God), what we need now are professional armies.
    The trouble with the British Army is that although it is still the best in the world at what it tries to do, it is suffering from a lack of manpower. The idea of National Service is one to rectify that problem of lack of manpower. The other advantage that no one here has mentioned is that We would have a huge potential semi trained reserve to call upon when needed. We would be able to put more men (and women) into the field faster than any other country of a similar size/military potential.

National Service would not be militarising the country. Europe will not be at peace for much longer. There are too many ingrained differences in our cultures. As stated in Yes Minister, the only reason britain has nuclear weapons is to protect us from the French and the only reason the French have them is to protect them from us!!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.