The Student Room Group

Should i do btec health and social care or a level health and social care?

Which is best? PLEASE PLEASE REPLY.
I want to do this with biology and sociology and for my nursing degree which is childrens nursing.
I'm going to do work experience next year so what do you think is the most beneficial?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emerald7770

it depends what you plan to do in the future, the btec would give you work experience but then opting to do a levels gives you more flexibility.
A Level Health and Social Care doesn't exist anymore. It's turned into a BTEC now.
Original post by claireestelle
it depends what you plan to do in the future, the btec would give you work experience but then opting to do a levels gives you more flexibility.

For nursing.
Original post by AppleB
A Level Health and Social Care doesn't exist anymore. It's turned into a BTEC now.

Not many places do it anymore but there's a sixth form near me that do it :smile:
I want to do this with biology and sociology and for my nursing degree which is childrens nursing.
I'm going to do work experience next year so what do you think is the most beneficial?

A level. Some unis don't accept BTECs whereas they all accept A levels
One of my friend does btec health and social care along with a level sociology and has been given offers for child nursing
For nursing.

Either could be helpful then, if you think coursework would suit you better then go for the btec, otherwise you could go for the a level and pick two others relevant to nursing then you'd need to get experience outside of school.
Original post by cherryred90s
A level. Some unis don't accept BTECs whereas they all accept A levels

Most universities accept BTEC hsc for nursing but i guess i'll pick a level then :smile:
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
One of my friend does btec health and social care along with a level sociology and has been given offers for child nursing

That's awesome, i'll consider it.
Most universities accept BTEC hsc for nursing but i guess i'll pick a level then :smile:

There's a lot of coursework for A level hsc so I can't even imagine what the coursework is like for the BTEC. Just depends on what you prefer, but if it were me, I'd Defo choose the A level over the BTEC
Original post by claireestelle
Either could be helpful then, if you think coursework would suit you better then go for the btec, otherwise you could go for the a level and pick two others relevant to nursing then you'd need to get experience outside of school.

That's true. Thanks a lot.
There's a lot of coursework for A level hsc so I can't even imagine what the coursework is like for the BTEC. Just depends on what you prefer, but if it were me, I'd Defo choose the A level over the BTEC

Hmm, you're definitely right. Thanks for the help :smile:
Not many places do it anymore but there's a sixth form near me that do it :smile:

Their current year 13 students study it? They shouldn't be offering the A Level because the spec has changed to the BTEC.

AQA A Level H&SC contains 50% coursework. It is doable.
Original post by AppleB
Their current year 13 students study it? They shouldn't be offering the A Level because the spec has changed to the BTEC.

Yeah..
Yeah..

You'll be doing the BTEC course, there's no way you can do the A Level spec because it doesn't exist anymore.
BTEC isn't worthless, as an A Level student I wholly believe BTECs give students skills useful for employability.
Original post by AppleB
You'll be doing the BTEC course, there's no way you can do the A Level spec because it doesn't exist anymore.
BTEC isn't worthless, as an A Level student I wholly believe BTECs give students skills useful for employability.

I don't understand. I'm not lying when i said that a sixth form near me does the a level.
I don't understand. I'm not lying when i said that a sixth form near me does the a level.

:facepalm: i never indicated you're lying. They'll offer it this year because the current year 13's are sitting the old spec (A Level) however the year 12's are sitting the BTEC. The A Level will exist this year for the year 13's then it's gone... Bye bye :lol:
Original post by AppleB
:facepalm: i never indicated you're lying. They'll offer it this year because the current year 13's are sitting the old spec (A Level) however the year 12's are sitting the BTEC. The A Level will exist this year for the year 13's then it's gone... Bye bye :lol:

Oh **** really. Nah i wasn't being rude or anything, i just didn't understand if it didn't exist,it wouldn't be in that sixth form. But oh okay.

Quick Reply

Latest