Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering if it's possible to make a tickerfactory.com counter your desktop wallpaper?

If so, how?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You can't set a self-updating ticker as your wallpaper.
    You could snap an image of the current one then set that as the wallpaper, but you'd need to keep doing that to keep it up-to-date...a bit tedious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kam)
    You can't set a self-updating ticker as your wallpaper.
    You could snap an image of the current one then set that as the wallpaper, but you'd need to keep doing that to keep it up-to-date...a bit tedious.
    I think I've managed to do it. What I've done is copied the image created by tickerfactory.com (not the code) and then copied that on to a webpage (created in Microsoft Word), then used that document as my wallpaper.

I shouldn't need to keep remaking the document each day, but what will be necessary will be to click refresh each day to get it to update.

I got this idea from this website (found in a Google search, here: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/matern...ges/41792.html) where they say to right click on the image on tickerfactory.com (not the code) and then click (set as background), slightly different to what I did, as if you set as background you don't get the text underneath the ticker. So it should work.

ReputationRep:
    Good find. Hope it works how you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kam)
    Good find. Hope it works how you want
    Thanks. I'll post here again to report whether it does work (i.e. just needs a refresh to update the number of days left) or doesn't (i.e. stays on the same number despite refreshing).

ReputationRep:
    It hasn't worked.

I guess I could try making a webpage again, but this time importing the code into it, that might work...

EDIT - OK, I've made a new webpage document, this time importing the HTML code, so we'll see if it works. I've made a test one so we'll know soon.

ReputationRep:
    It works! :party:

ReputationRep:
    well done for getting that to work - that's a pretty cool thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    well done for getting that to work - that's a pretty cool thing
    Thanks.

I hope it helps other people who use tickerfactory.com and may want to have a ticker on their desktop as well.

EDIT - to anyone interested. To do it, open Microsoft Word, click new, then webpage, then click view, then HTML source, then paste the HTML code from tickerfactory.com below '<head>', you can move it around on the document by centering it and pressing enter to move it down the page, save it. Then go to your desktop and in background settings, browse for background and click on the webpage document you just made. It should then work, to update it you just need to right-click and then click refresh (although I have a feeling it will update automatically everytime you return to your desktop (e.g. after restarting or using an application like a computer game that replaces the view).

ReputationRep:
    that's..interesting. it shouldn't be in the head tag, though if you never close the head tag it'll just ignore it, though it's a bit of a roundabout way to do it.

a (possibly) easier way:

use this code.

Code:
    <html>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    CODE GOES HERE
    </body>
    </html>
    in notepad, then change format to all files and save it as filename.html

then you get a properly tagged webpage rather than something from Word :p:

though it's about the same level of complexity, but not if you just copy my code. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olileauk)
    that's..interesting. it shouldn't be in the head tag, though if you never close the head tag it'll just ignore it, though it's a bit of a roundabout way to do it.
    Well I think that's what I did, I don't know much about HTML code, I just pasted it in what appeared to be a reasonable place and it worked. However, I do recommend that TSR members who want to have a ticker on their desktop follow your advice as you appear to know more about HTML and so on than me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 2, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.