My A-Levels for Law

Watch this thread
Ganda1f
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey I'm a year 12 student currently studying History, Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy. I was originally planning on looking at a science based degree when I chose the subject but in recent months and through work experience I've realised I much prefer Law. I'm not liking Chemistry and want to drop it leaving me with History, Philosophy and Biology (a bit random) I'm predicted
AAA at As and wanted to know would Uni's accept me for Law with those A-Levels or should I just restart the year with more humanities?

Thanks
Hann95
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Your A-level subjects are absolutely fine, just concentrate on getting the best grades you can.

I finished my law degree last year and have a biology A-level. You'll find that people can really have a mixed bag. History and philosophy are still more essay based subjects which can help with the transition to undergraduate so you'll be absolutely fine.
prazzyjazzy
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Sounds fine. It seems that English Literature is a popular A Level for Law, so maybe try that if you're going for an extra one?

Spoiler:
Show

nice username my dude
username2694731
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hughmungus25)
Hey I'm a year 12 student currently studying History, Biology, Chemistry and Philosophy. I was originally planning on looking at a science based degree when I chose the subject but in recent months and through work experience I've realised I much prefer Law. I'm not liking Chemistry and want to drop it leaving me with History, Philosophy and Biology (a bit random) I'm predicted
AAA at As and wanted to know would Uni's accept me for Law with those A-Levels or should I just restart the year with more humanities?

Thanks
Two options for law
1)LLB Undergraduate degree ( you look suitable but remember some use LNAT)
2) Do a degree in anything then the GDL. (Takes 12 months more)

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2488767
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
For things like Law, they don't usually care what you take at A Level (unless it's general studies or something like that). They teach it as though you haven't studied law before as it's not always an option of some people's colleges.
Qqqqqqqq
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I did Maths, Economics and English lit&lang at A-levels and I got in to study law. I also know someone who did btec music and now studies law at Uni. The subjects you take do not really matter but the grades you come out with do! Just try your hardest. The better you do at AS the more easier the second year is so study as hard as you can! Hope you do well
Ganda1f
Rep:
(Original post by greghayes)
For things like Law, they don't usually care what you take at A Level (unless it's general studies or something like that). They teach it as though you haven't studied law before as it's not always an option of some people's colleges.
Thanks for the help
Ganda1f
Rep:
(Original post by Qqqqqqqq)
I did Maths, Economics and English lit&lang at A-levels and I got in to study law. I also know someone who did btec music and now studies law at Uni. The subjects you take do not really matter but the grades you come out with do! Just try your hardest. The better you do at AS the more easier the second year is so study as hard as you can! Hope you do well
Thanks for the help and yep I will certainly be giving them my best shot
Ganda1f
Rep:
(Original post by Hann95)
Your A-level subjects are absolutely fine, just concentrate on getting the best grades you can.

I finished my law degree last year and have a biology A-level. You'll find that people can really have a mixed bag. History and philosophy are still more essay based subjects which can help with the transition to undergraduate so you'll be absolutely fine.
Nice! Thanks for the help!
Ganda1f
Rep:
(Original post by prazzyjazzy)
Sounds fine. It seems that English Literature is a popular A Level for Law, so maybe try that if you're going for an extra one?

Spoiler:
Show

nice username my dude

Thanks for the help! Papa Bless!
Ganda1f
Rep:
(Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
Two options for law
1)LLB Undergraduate degree ( you look suitable but remember some use LNAT)
2) Do a degree in anything then the GDL. (Takes 12 months more)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, so with the GDL is it effectively a more condensed version of a standard LLB and is it recognised in the same way?
Hann95
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hughmungus25)
Thanks, so with the GDL is it effectively a more condensed version of a standard LLB and is it recognised in the same way?
The GDL is the seven core modules of a qualifying law degree so contract, tort, criminal, EU, land, equity and public law. It's just as accepted as those with a law degree if you're looking to practice. Most firms have a pretty equal split of law to non law graduates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (93)
20%
The paper was reasonable (178)
38.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.59%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
16.13%

Watched Threads