The Student Room Group

my gcse journey :)) aiming for the A*s - childishgambin0

Scroll to see replies

Original post by childishgambin0
thinking of starting a blog to keep myself motivated and track progress idk :smile:
REALLY HOPING FOR MAINLY A*S as this could set me up for an Oxbridge application or even the top RG uni's.
would love 7A*s, 3A's and a B.
6 in the new GCSE would be the B equivalent and 8/9 would be the A* equivalent. Maths is so irrelevant to what I want to do in the future like I genuinely despise that subject so to get a 5 (C/B) or preferably a 6 would be a MAJOR achievement. On the other hand, for English Lit, I really want a 9. Would settle for an 8 in English Lang but a 9 would make me sooo happy.
that's how it's hanging right now ! expect updates when I feel like procrastinating.
ps - please leave any comments down below on how to motivate yourself to revise after school as I legit cannot
THANKS

I felt I had to comment as we sound like the same person- my dream goal would be to get 7A*, 4A and 1B which is almost the same as you. Furthermore, my goal is the B in Maths, as I am simply dreadful. I'm not even too sure I'll be getting a 5/6 in the new system, I'm on a 3 at the moment. Whilst my goal sounds really nice, in reality, despite my high target grades, I know that I'll probably end up with something like 2A*,4A, 4B, 2C, which doesn't sound as great at all. Good luck with your results as well!
Original post by sophieannie1515
I felt I had to comment as we sound like the same person- my dream goal would be to get 7A*, 4A and 1B which is almost the same as you. Furthermore, my goal is the B in Maths, as I am simply dreadful. I'm not even too sure I'll be getting a 5/6 in the new system, I'm on a 3 at the moment. Whilst my goal sounds really nice, in reality, despite my high target grades, I know that I'll probably end up with something like 2A*,4A, 4B, 2C, which doesn't sound as great at all. Good luck with your results as well!

Gosh we really must be one!! I'm on a 4 at the moment in maths so my goal of 6 is prob out of reach😭 i'm being ambitious but I really think i'll end up with something like exactly the results you said!! good luck though, hope we exceed them 2a*s!:smile:
Reply 22
I really need 8A* and 4A but omfff I can't revise its an actual issue and i've got mocks in DAYS. Some motivation wouldn't kill me right about now.
Original post by sudent
I really need 8A* and 4A but omfff I can't revise its an actual issue and i've got mocks in DAYS. Some motivation wouldn't kill me right about now.

I literally can't bring myself to revise either:frown: don't worry though, mocks don't matter! like I know it helps to revise for them but I've forgotten everything I learnt for mocks anyway. The real thing is all that counts:frown: let the a*s motivate u
thinking of starting a blog to keep myself motivated and track progress idk :smile:
REALLY HOPING FOR MAINLY A*S as this could set me up for an Oxbridge application or even the top RG uni's.
6 in the new GCSE would be the B equivalent and 8/9 would be the A* equivalent. Maths is so irrelevant to what I want to do in the future like I genuinely despise that subject so to get a 5 (C/B) or preferably a 6 would be a MAJOR achievement. On the other hand, for English Lit, I really want a 9. Would settle for an 8 in English Lang but a 9 would make me sooo happy.
that's how it's hanging right now ! expect updates when I feel like procrastinating.
ps - please leave any comments down below on how to motivate yourself to revise after school as I legit cannot
THANKS

ok guys 1st update, back to school tomorrow & i want 2 cry but it's cool, i'm going to revise a little and sleep. haven't completed notes for a lot of subjects, which is worrying me big time but i've got the february holidays to start/finish them, so its not the end of the world...
got coursework and about 4 controlled assessments to look forward to when i get back:smile: *CRIES* but my chemistry CA means jack all cos I did well on the first one. just gotta revise well for Biology, prepare better for Geog and try and not FLOP the computing one. happy days
night:tongue:
Original post by glittery123
Thank you.

It's not too late, although I was the nerd who started making my notes the summer holidays before year 11 lol. What I would do is make a very strong timetable, spend a whole day literally making a well thought out timetable and you definitely can do it. Make sure you stick to it!

Also, I had to fast during half of mine too but the highest marks I got were during fasting period e.g. I got 80/80 UMS in B3 and 79/80 in C3 DURING fasting. The most productive days were then. This was my routine - I'd come home from school at 15.30, revise from 16.00-iftari (excluding prayer), revise for a bit more after iftari, sleep, have sehri, sleep again, till school-time. I was worried about that as well but don't be trust me - you can make a good routine. Again, stick to it.

looking back, I wish I'd have been that kid who made them in advance too:frown: hindsight is 2020.
but do you think if I finish making most of them by the end of february holidays, it's too late? because I'm not sure whether to prioritise finishing my notes this half term. It will probably help as I have all of february to revise them but i also have coursework!?
thank you, I've made a rough one but the well thought out one should be finished this weekend!
GOSH YOU DID SO WELL Mashallah :smile: I get home from school quite a bit later but I'll just work around it in the routine.
this has been so helpful!!
Reply 26
ok guys 1st update, back to school tomorrow & i want 2 cry but it's cool, i'm going to revise a little and sleep. haven't completed notes for a lot of subjects, which is worrying me big time but i've got the february holidays to start/finish them, so its not the end of the world...
got coursework and about 4 controlled assessments to look forward to when i get back:smile: *CRIES* but my chemistry CA means jack all cos I did well on the first one. just gotta revise well for Biology, prepare better for Geog and try and not FLOP the computing one. happy days

Have you got mocks now? Bc if you don't then u have nothing to worry abt tbh, just focus on the home run straight to the real thing!
Original post by sudent
Have you got mocks now? Bc if you don't then u have nothing to worry abt tbh, just focus on the home run straight to the real thing!

wish I could focus on the home run but got lots of coursework and controlled assessments smh:frown:
we had mocks last year in like november/december!
Any tips for revising English Lit.?

FOOD TECH COURSEWORK IS KILLING ME and it's the first day back ??? NAHH but on the bright side, found out the chemistry controlled assessment is in 2 weeks so I have time!:smile:
biology is next week & I'm scared but paper 1 is always better than paper 2 I guess ...
also have an English lit exam on monday and it's poetry? wHY??
AND COMPUTING controlled assessment starts this friday so I'm spending all of tomorrow evening making notes from the code website thing:/
just wanna sleep 4eva rly :frown:
Reply 30
Okay bro, you seem like a cool guy so dont take anything i say wrong or offensive. You are targeting low for the core subjects, especially maths. All unis, whatever ur course is would prefer a student who got As and A*s in their core subjects, these being sciences and maths. On top of that, its important that you also do well on the subjects that relate to your career path..
THANKS

Off topic but do u listen to your username if so awesome btw do u watch atlanta or community cos he is in it and atlanta is made by him so i reccomend uses a lot of music he likes
Original post by Waiser
Okay bro, you seem like a cool guy so dont take anything i say wrong or offensive. You are targeting low for the core subjects, especially maths. All unis, whatever ur course is would prefer a student who got As and A*s in their core subjects, these being sciences and maths. On top of that, its important that you also do well on the subjects that relate to your career path..

I'm a girl ahHAHah but yeah I get what you mean... I'm aiming for A*s and A's in sciences but I just can't hack maths like there's no point me aiming for an A* when I'll be lucky to walk out with a B. no it doesn't look great but realistically, it is what it is.
maths and science are also V V irrelevant to what I want to do. but I will take the career part on board, thank u!
Original post by dcencima
Off topic but do u listen to your username if so awesome btw do u watch atlanta or community cos he is in it and atlanta is made by him so i reccomend uses a lot of music he likes

YEAH OFC I DO haha it wouldn't be my username if I didn't!
I've been told to watch community so many times but never got round to it and my netflix also ran out :frown:
Never heard of atlanta but sound sick, is it a show?
Reply 34
I'm a girl ahHAHah but yeah I get what you mean... I'm aiming for A*s and A's in sciences but I just can't hack maths like there's no point me aiming for an A* when I'll be lucky to walk out with a B. no it doesn't look great but realistically, it is what it is.
maths and science are also V V irrelevant to what I want to do. but I will take the career part on board, thank u!

Well heres how my maths went during gcses. I was getting Cs and sometimes Bs on my mocks untill the last 2 months. After that everything somehow made sense and everything became solid in my head and got an A. Maybe get a tutor, its honestly the best way to improve quickly. Just and extra hour a week could boost your performance wonders. You may see that as something "idiots" may do and some people might talk **** about you saying "ha, you need special help to get the grades" but at the end of the day, you would be getting better grades that you did before. Dont forget, none of your friends will be with you as soon as you change schools. Everyone will go their own way.
Original post by Waiser
Well heres how my maths went during gcses. I was getting Cs and sometimes Bs on my mocks untill the last 2 months. After that everything somehow made sense and everything became solid in my head and got an A. Maybe get a tutor, its honestly the best way to improve quickly. Just and extra hour a week could boost your performance wonders. You may see that as something "idiots" may do and some people might talk **** about you saying "ha, you need special help to get the grades" but at the end of the day, you would be getting better grades that you did before. Dont forget, none of your friends will be with you as soon as you change schools. Everyone will go their own way.

congrats on the A! thanks for the advice man, it defo helps me having things explained so I'll consider getting my tutor back. the new maths gsce is SOLID though, they want us to do a lot of A level maths and topics that weren't on the a*-g course:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
congrats on the A! thanks for the advice man, it defo helps me having things explained so I'll consider getting me tutor back. the new maths gsce is SOLID though, they want us to do a lot of A level maths and topics that weren't on the a*-g course:frown:

Oh lol, you got no idea what we do in A-Levels. But im glad to help.
good luck mate, got 12 A*s, just do loads of past papers n work on compiling the top answers for each question, they're always the same, suppose i was lucky bc i was the last of the old lot so i had bare perfect answers that i could use but self belief is also another thing. got an E in my geography mock lmao but flipped it to one mark into an A*, lol ull always do better than u think, good luck x
Original post by Waiser
Oh lol, you got no idea what we do in A-Levels. But im glad to help.

I do have an idea lmao it's on our new maths specification??
Original post by batouttahell
good luck mate, got 12 A*s, just do loads of past papers n work on compiling the top answers for each question, they're always the same, suppose i was lucky bc i was the last of the old lot so i had bare perfect answers that i could use but self belief is also another thing. got an E in my geography mock lmao but flipped it to one mark into an A*, lol ull always do better than u think, good luck x

thanks so much and congrats on the insane results !!
fortunately, we still have the old gcses for sciences n stuff so past papers are blessing, it's just maths and english where it's new but ohwell:frown:
I FLOPPED MY MOCK TOO HOW MOTIVATING x

Quick Reply

Latest