The Student Room Group

How I self-studied my way to 4 A*s + a Cambridge offer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by metalTree007
Lol I always dothat too 😁 I hope you'll enjoy your revision (no sarcasm, I actually often do maths past papers to run away from doing other work!) and hood luck! 🙂

Lmao so do I!! I have 2 other exams which I always dread doing but love how challenging maths is. You doing/done step/aea? They are a great way to further master edexcel papers because its harder core questions
And thanks! :smile:
Original post by years101
Lmao so do I!! I have 2 other exams which I always dread doing but love how challenging maths is. You doing/done step/aea? They are a great way to further master edexcel papers because its harder core questions
And thanks! :smile:

I'm not taking aea or sep this summer as real exams, but I do some step for "bants" sometimes 👀 XD (but really not often). Are you applying for a degree in maths then or are you still in your first year of sixth form?
Original post by thinkecon
Hey everyone :smile:

Two years ago I made the decision to quit school.

I was predicted Ds and Us by my teachers, I couldn’t understand what was going on in class, I wanted to ask questions but was too afraid of looking “stupid”... and I forgot almost everything I did learn anyway.

So I decided to leave school and self-study. And last year, I achieved 4 A*s at A Level + an offer to read Economics at Cambridge.

I’ve received SO many questions asking “HOW DID YOU DO IT!?” so in this thread I just wanted to share EVERYTHING - all the strategies and resources I used to achieve 4 A*s.

Some motivation first:

Spoiler

General revision:

Spoiler

Maths and Further Maths (Edexcel):

Spoiler

Economics (Edexcel):

Spoiler

Geography (AQA):

Spoiler

...I hope this helps you! Please let me know if you have any questions, I’ll be posting more and more resources to this thread over the next few weeks :smile:

Hi! I am Reshyna and I'm self-teaching Edexcel Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. My school was not very supportive so I decided to leave school. I scored 4A*s and 5As in my Edexcel IGCSE and I self-taught almost half of the subjects even though I was at school. They did not teach me properly. I study well. Now I'm at AS and I'm looking forward to exams this May.
But I'm still nervous about it cause I've self-studied and I don't wish to mess up my A-levels. Any help?
I mean can you help me with the Edexcel Maths and Further Maths, if you don't mind?

I was predicted Ds and Us by my teachers, I couldn’t understand what was going on in class, I wanted to ask questions but was too afraid of looking “stupid”... and I forgot almost everything I did learn anyway.

So I decided to leave school and self-study. And last year, I achieved 4 A*s at A Level + an offer to read Economics at Cambridge.

I’ve received SO many questions asking “HOW DID YOU DO IT!?” so in this thread I just wanted to share EVERYTHING - all the strategies and resources I used to achieve 4 A*s.

Some motivation first:

Spoiler

General revision:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Economics (Edexcel):

Spoiler

Geography (AQA):

Spoiler

...I hope this helps you! Please let me know if you have any questions, I’ll be posting more and more resources to this thread over the next few weeks :smile:

edexcel economics model answers?

Some motivation first:

Spoiler

General revision:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Economics (Edexcel):

Spoiler

Geography (AQA):

Spoiler

First of all you are amazing, like seriously well done on your achievement. I am doing my As levels, Bio, chem, psychology, and English lit. I find it so hard to remember stuff, and my grades are not quite well. All if my teachers think i am dumb, i know im not, but i really want to prove them wrong. Whats your advice.
Hey man, I used a lot of study techniques and memorisation strategies.

I never reread notes or highlighted or read textbooks.

I've linked to free resources which explain how humans actually learn (like Coursera's learning how to learn course) which explains this really well - check out my original post for the details. There's also an e-book which you should read.

But another technique I used with the flaschards is "visceralisation" .

So let's say I'm trying to memorise "pregunta" (Spanish for question).

On the front of my flashcard I write out "pregunta". Now I need to link "pregunta" to its meaning - question, in English.

So I close my eyes, "What does pregunta connect with in my brain?"

Pregnant! Pregunta reminds me of pregnant :smile:

So I draw a pregnant lady next to the word pregunta.

Now I need to connect the pregnant lady to the actual meaning: question.

So the pregnant lady is being asked all of these questions: how many months? Boy or girl? Who's the father? Did you cheat on your husband? I thought he was infertile?

Now I have a vivid image in my mind: whenever I hear "pregunta", I think pregnant woman being asked questions...oh yeah pregunta means question!

There's research which shows this technique can increase memory 9.5x above just rewriting/rereading notes.

Even more interesting, students who used visceralisation thought it was a waste of time, and preferred rereading...but one week later when they were tested, the visceralisation group performed 9.5x better!!

That is awesome and that is how I am kind of revising things now for a few days (not smartxD) for example, electrostatic forces = getting an electric shock on a door handle which I opened (represents resultant forces aswell!)

What I had the question for was for long texts e.g. The problem in Berlin occurred ever since the zones of occupation because Capitalist territories were situated right in the middle of the Communist zone...blah blah blah. How do you do that? (did you) as you did geography!
Hey man, I used a lot of study techniques and memorisation strategies.

I never reread notes or highlighted or read textbooks.

I've linked to free resources which explain how humans actually learn (like Coursera's learning how to learn course) which explains this really well - check out my original post for the details. There's also an e-book which you should read.

But another technique I used with the flaschards is "visceralisation" .

So let's say I'm trying to memorise "pregunta" (Spanish for question).

On the front of my flashcard I write out "pregunta". Now I need to link "pregunta" to its meaning - question, in English.

So I close my eyes, "What does pregunta connect with in my brain?"

Pregnant! Pregunta reminds me of pregnant :smile:

So I draw a pregnant lady next to the word pregunta.

Now I need to connect the pregnant lady to the actual meaning: question.

So the pregnant lady is being asked all of these questions: how many months? Boy or girl? Who's the father? Did you cheat on your husband? I thought he was infertile?

Now I have a vivid image in my mind: whenever I hear "pregunta", I think pregnant woman being asked questions...oh yeah pregunta means question!

There's research which shows this technique can increase memory 9.5x above just rewriting/rereading notes.

Even more interesting, students who used visceralisation thought it was a waste of time, and preferred rereading...but one week later when they were tested, the visceralisation group performed 9.5x better!!

This sounds like an interesting technique. Do you think it is too late in the year to start making flashcards for my 'memorisation subjects'? I have already written notes so I would just have to rewrite them onto flashcards.
I have nothing meaningful to add to this thread, but I just want to express my thoughts about this.

WOW. THAT IS AMAZING. Good job, OP! I agree school just drags on the course material - I myself only studied a day or two before the AS exams, a week before the mocks, and about 6 hours per subject for three weeks. That means I could not have studied more than... 48 hours per subject at AS. I got AAAB. Looking back, I really wish I had just quit school and self-studied like you :laugh:
@CheeseIsVeg

@||TheUnknown||

thoughts on this thread?
Wow. Well done. Often I feel self-teaching would be much more efficient for me, but alas that's not an option now. Particularly for economics where my teacher goes slow/we waste time doing fun stuff haha.
NGL I am a bit suprised how fast you managed to complete maths modules (as in the theory and doing all textbook questions)- I myself get frustrated with the textbook questions as they are often like wtf. I do like past papers though.
I actually wanted/want to do economics at uni but I applied to Oxford for E&M because I wasn't so confident in the grades I could get this year (Cambridge wanted A*A*A), Oxford only A*AA. That's the thing that sucks... you only know how you're doing as time progresses/ your practical ability (not just theoretical). Oh, and I got rejected even before getting an interview (even though my AS were AAAB and A* in epq)
I liked the website you linked (Uplearn) but unfortunately my school chose a weird exam board (Wjec) and it doesn't have it. I really rage at my school for not picking a normal one (Edexcel).
This has actually made me depressed in some ways, knowing I will not be as successful as you.
Reply 90
Original post by Maths is Life
but... they entered you for the exams?

he was technically still going to the school anyways.
Reply 91
And last year, I achieved 4 A*s at A Level + an offer to read Economics at Cambridge.

Which college? And how are you finding first year?
Reply 92
If you can get 4A* by yourself, what is the point in going to Cambridge?
That's amazing!
I'm in the same position as you but my parents aren't convinced, so if it's ok, I was just wondering- how did you write your statement, how did your parents agree to you being home schooled? Is it true that you need a tutor, or can you do it yourself? Many thanks!
Reply 94
Would this work for gsce?
Congratulations on the grades! And I wanted to ask the website you used for
Economics does it apply to the new spec for students who start sixth form in September 2017? Thanks
What was your gcse results?
Self Studying - Maths, Chemistry and Physics A Levels.

Got A2 Edexcel exams (IAL) starting from tomorrow, got them AAA in AS levels self-studying.

Hoping to ace A2 now! :smile:

Some motivation first:

Spoiler

General revision:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Economics (Edexcel):

Spoiler

Geography (AQA):

Spoiler

Sounds awesome. :smile: Congratulations :h:
And yeah, I was planning to self study economics after my IAL paper so, do you have any tips? :smile: Also, how did you find the difficulty of the subject(in uni as well as a levels)? as I've heard from people that Economics is really hard.
I did like no extracurriculars, and for the interviews I listened to about 4 hours of economics podcasts everyday, made notes, then tested myself on the notes to make sure I could remember all the statistics and stories.

I also specifically applied for a college (Christ's) that wanted an essay, and then spent days and days perfecting the essay - they really like it.

I don't think extracurriculars matter much at all...I wasn't even asked about them at interview, more important to have top grades and be super passionate about your subject.

Thank you so much- I will definitely listen to this advice and congrats on your place, you really are an inspiration!x:biggrin::h:
And writing essays is one of my strengths so thank you!!!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest