The Student Room Group

Practical ways to drag myself out of a depression with low self esteem?

Basically I am suffering from low self esteem/confidence and depression. Have been for a long time, but its really getting deep now that I'm losing my mind.

It is mostly situational, and because I don't like my job (due to the toxic environment) and the fact I have been applying for graduate jobs, schemes and emailing my CV to a few places but to no avail.

Reading my sent emails reveals a stark historical truth- in that clearly life is a real struggle for young twenty-somethings fresh out of uni. The amount of jobs I've applied too versus the amount that invited me back for interview has got to be less than even a quarter!

I feel I'm not utilising my life working in my current job. Every avenue I've created for myself, every email I've sent and every sort of effort I've made has amounted to nothing.

Obviously, I don't expect to get a job out of every interview opportunity, or have the perfect life but I just feel stuck in a rut. I often compare myself to others (and I've known this is a bad idea- its a vicious cycle I'm in) and I wonder about how other people find such happiness in small moments and live in the moment and are so successful with their careers and life.

I'm 26 and I've been on and off meds for years, received psychotherapy privately and also had NHS counselling and I just have no answer anymore.

I'm sat at home on my days off researching random articles to improve my life and trying to think of ways to self-improve but I dunno how.

I'm too cowardly to improve my people skills, to network, to volunteer as a mentor, to help others and to do bits that I enjoy ( to excel my career chances and improve myself). Yet I know these may help build my character.

I dunno if im doing too much thinking here-- or if i hold my own answers-- but im at a loss.

What do you all think? I'm getting fed up of not making enough money, not been able to enjoy life, always trying to chase that better life. Always worrying about paying bills, getting by and getting teary because I never seem to have enough money to even treat myself.

I'm becoming increasingly irritated at my failures to secure a graduate job or some form of security and value in a job. Sick of working in a job I hate. I want to do what I enjoy, what i'm qualified to do, but yet I feel so unworthy. Otherwise I'd have landed a job by now.
Original post by Anonymous
Basically I am suffering from low self esteem/confidence and depression. Have been for a long time, but its really getting deep now that I'm losing my mind.

It is mostly situational, and because I don't like my job (due to the toxic environment) and the fact I have been applying for graduate jobs, schemes and emailing my CV to a few places but to no avail.

Reading my sent emails reveals a stark historical truth- in that clearly life is a real struggle for young twenty-somethings fresh out of uni. The amount of jobs I've applied too versus the amount that invited me back for interview has got to be less than even a quarter!

I feel I'm not utilising my life working in my current job. Every avenue I've created for myself, every email I've sent and every sort of effort I've made has amounted to nothing.

Obviously, I don't expect to get a job out of every interview opportunity, or have the perfect life but I just feel stuck in a rut. I often compare myself to others (and I've known this is a bad idea- its a vicious cycle I'm in) and I wonder about how other people find such happiness in small moments and live in the moment and are so successful with their careers and life.

I'm 26 and I've been on and off meds for years, received psychotherapy privately and also had NHS counselling and I just have no answer anymore.

I'm sat at home on my days off researching random articles to improve my life and trying to think of ways to self-improve but I dunno how.

I'm too cowardly to improve my people skills, to network, to volunteer as a mentor, to help others and to do bits that I enjoy ( to excel my career chances and improve myself). Yet I know these may help build my character.

I dunno if im doing too much thinking here-- or if i hold my own answers-- but im at a loss.

What do you all think? I'm getting fed up of not making enough money, not been able to enjoy life, always trying to chase that better life. Always worrying about paying bills, getting by and getting teary because I never seem to have enough money to even treat myself.

I'm becoming increasingly irritated at my failures to secure a graduate job or some form of security and value in a job. Sick of working in a job I hate. I want to do what I enjoy, what i'm qualified to do, but yet I feel so unworthy. Otherwise I'd have landed a job by now.

Im in a similar boat (though not exactly the same)

Just keep telling yourself the same as I do: Keep going.

Get your mind right in the process, because the object is to stay alive and accomplish.

That last sentence is actually from a song I listen to when Im a bit down

"paranoid castle - feeling inside"

Dont think about what could be different, because then your mind plays tricks on you. set yourself small goals and keep chipping away at that block, in this day and age, there are many more people on the earth, simply "making it" isnt a factor anymore, you need to fight for it.

Keep fighting man, If you stop then things can only get worse.

Im sorry if this advice is crappy, im struggling myself. Just dont give up, other people dont have it as hard as you, other people have it much worse. Not that your pain isnt worth as much as others, but you need to count your blessings! Even though it may not feel like it!

I havent graduated yet so I dont know whether thats a good rate or not, but its better than no replies at all right? Keep applying and even reapply for some jobs you havent heard from, that will show eagerness :-)

Quick Reply

Latest