This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
B1094 – School League Table Bill 2017, TSR Liberal Party
SCHOOL LEAGUE TABLE BILL 2017

An Act to balance the measurement of school performance, and its representation in league tables

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Definitions

(1) School League Tables refers to the government service to compare schools based on performance through results.

(2) GCSE English refers to any GCSE taken in English Language, English Literature or English.

(3) Local Authority Area refers to a local council in England or Wales responsible for education within their jurisdiction

(4) Alternative Education Providers refers to the providers of education arranged by local authorities for pupils who, because of exclusion, illness or other reasons, would not otherwise receive suitable education

2: Adjustment of League Table measures

(1) Attainment and Progress will be treated as equally important measures of school performance.

a) The school league tables will include the following measures:

i) Percentage of pupils achieving 5 GCSEs at grades A*-C including English and Maths in KS4

ii) Percentage of pupils achieving higher than predicted, as predicted and lower than predicted

iii) KS4 pupil destinations

iv) KS5 pupil destinations

v) Unauthorised absence rates

vi) Contextual Value added

b) Comparisons with other schools in economically similar areas within the Local Education Authority will be provided.

(2) The following measures will be removed from the league tables:

a) “Progress 8” measure will be removed.

b) The “Attainment 8” measure will be removed.

c) Overall Absence rates

(3) The School League Tables will now include all schools open to public application including, but not limited to:

a) State-maintained schools

b) Fee-paying schools

c) Academies

d) Other independent schools

3: Exemptions:

(1) Alternative education providers will be exempt from inclusion in School League Tables

4: Extent, Commencement and Short Title

(1) This Act extends to England and Wales

(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on 1st September 2018, following Royal Assent.

(3) This Act may be cited as the League Table Act 2016.

NotesExplanation of Contextual Value added can be found here: http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/...10/cvacalc.pdf

School League Tables can be found here:
https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/

The World’s leading Faculty of Education Studies using contextual data when admitting students. To not have this included in School League tables is simply folly.

This Bill allows an appreciation of progress made by students from low-income backgrounds, along with real-terms attainment of pupils, regardless of economic background.

This should hopefully enable an appreciation of education beyond the results of schools.

Primary Author: 04MR17
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why do we need to know the primary author.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What a dreadful bill which fails to explain how all of the factors will be included, and knowing lots of the top independent schools do not bother making grade predictions, there is no explanation how the metric to measure achievement will include them. Further, Local Education Authorities do not have access to the data from independent schools so it will be voluntary for independent schools to participate in this.

I shall be voting no but I do not care if this bill passes because independent schools will not be forced to comply, allowing independent schools to continue with their job of providing above average education to the children of individuals who can afford the fees. The government can continue to ruin the education of the majority by not making the large scale reform needed, however, leave the education of the minority alone.
ByronicHero
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ii) Percentage of pupils achieving higher than predicted, as predicted and lower than predicted

Predicted how?

How would this not incentivise schools to make lower predictions than they otherwise would to ensure better placement? Also, would these lower predictions not then be self-fulfilling prophecies causing lower attainment?
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are Attainment 8 and Progress 8?

I'm also not convinced that non-contextual attainment is relevant.
username1751857
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This bill is quite ambiguous. You need to define more things such as Attainment 8 and Progress 8.

i) Percentage of pupils achieving 5 GCSEs at grades A*-C including English and Maths in KS4
When this commences (2018) these grades will not exist, in fact they already do not exist due to changes so you would need to change that to grades 9-5.

Predicted on what? Predicted GCSEs or A-Levels?

Like someone else said. Could this lead to schools predicting lower so that they can get a higher placement on the League Tables?
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Why do we need to know the primary author.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What a well thought out and constructed critical response.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What does this actually gain?

And yje prediction business is foolish at best

Posted from TSR Mobile
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I will be supporting this bill as it bases school performance on the achievement of the individual child in relation to their target grades as opposed to the arbitrary 5+ A*-C (or whatever the new 9-1 business is.)
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
nay
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
What are Attainment 8 and Progress 8?

I'm also not convinced that non-contextual attainment is relevant.
(Original post by CoffeeGeek)
This bill is quite ambiguous. You need to define more things such as Attainment 8 and Progress 8.

When this commences (2018) these grades will not exist, in fact they already do not exist due to changes so you would need to change that to grades 9-5.

Predicted on what? Predicted GCSEs or A-Levels?

Like someone else said. Could this lead to schools predicting lower so that they can get a higher placement on the League Tables?
Progress 8 tells you how well pupils progressed from at the end of KS2 and end of KS4, compared to students from other primary schools who got similar results.

Attainment 8 measures the achivements/performance of the pupils across 8 qualifications (includes maths, english etc...)
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
Progress 8 tells you how well pupils progressed from at the end of KS2 and end of KS4, compared to students from other primary schools who got similar results.

Attainment 8 measures the achivements/performance of the pupils across 8 qualifications (includes maths, english etc...)
Why are you getting rid of Progress 8? Sounds like a useful measure.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Why are you getting rid of Progress 8? Sounds like a useful measure.
I'm not getting rid of it lol I'm not apart of the liberals party yet :no:

Good question why are they getting rid of it :holmes: PetrosAC care to explain?
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
What a dreadful bill which fails to explain how all of the factors will be included, and knowing lots of the top independent schools do not bother making grade predictions, there is no explanation how the metric to measure achievement will include them. Further, Local Education Authorities do not have access to the data from independent schools so it will be voluntary for independent schools to participate in this.

I shall be voting no but I do not care if this bill passes because independent schools will not be forced to comply, allowing independent schools to continue with their job of providing above average education to the children of individuals who can afford the fees. The government can continue to ruin the education of the majority by not making the large scale reform needed, however, leave the education of the minority alone.
I just noticted you have a light green username, why is that? :holmes:
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I just noticted you have a light green username, why is that? :holmes:
Because I am an important user.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because I am an important user.
I'm sure you are Mr Farage :lol:
On a serious note what does it mean? :holmes:

Posted from OtherWorld
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Posted from OtherWorld
Community Assistants are given a green name I think but I have the ability to change my username colour.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Posted from OtherWorld
He's a CA of a forum which is no longer in use and I think had been deleted.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Community Assistants are given a green name I think but I have the ability to change my username colour.
That make sense, I didn't know people who volunteer for TSR had the ability to change the colour of the username :hmmmm2: not even the mods can change their colour :holmes:

(Original post by Aph)
He's a CA of a forum which is no longer in use and I think had been deleted.
Ah I see that make sense why he has a lighter green coloured compared with everyone eles that has dark green colour.

Posted from OtherWorld
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That make sense, I didn't know people who volunteer for TSR had the ability to change the colour of the username :hmmmm2: not even the mods can change their colour :holmes:

Ah I see that make sense why he has a lighter green coloured compared with everyone eles that has dark green colour.

Posted from OtherWorld
If you name a colour I can set my username to it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (52)
5.69%
Fairly positive (288)
31.51%
Just another year... (357)
39.06%
Is it 2020 yet? (217)
23.74%

Watched Threads