M419 – Northern Powerhouse Motion 2017 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
M419 – Northern Powerhouse Motion 2017, TSR Liberal Party
Following the introduction of the posts of Mayor of Greater Manchester and other Mayors in Northern Cities under the Cities and Local Government Devolution Act 2016, this House Believes that it is only right that the counties of West, North, South and the East Riding of Yorkshire should be given a referendum on the establishment of directly elected mayors. Each Riding should receive it's own mayor.

Furthermore, we believe that the current government should commit to an increase in spending in all the northern regions, as well as in Wales, replacing the now defunct Barnett Formula. These regions have been severely underfunded in the past and are in dire need of sufficient funding to boost infrastructure and local economies.

Notes

This motion calls for the creation of a directly elected mayor in Yorkshire in the same way as Greater Manchester, Sheffield and Liverpool, amongst other places in Northern England.

This motion also calls for an increase in funding for Northern England and Wales.

The Cities and Local Government Devolution Act can be found here.

The Liberal Party were the only Party to specifically commit to extra funding for Northern England, and we hope the rest of the house and especially the Government will agree with us that this funding and directly elected mayors would vastly improve things for the people of Northern England and the funding for Wales.

Primary Author: Connor27

Speaker's note: Members should probably (re)familiarise themselves with the Local Government Re-Organisation Act 2015 when they debate this bill, as the system of local government in TSRland is very different to in real life.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
On the basis that referendums can **** off, no.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nice to know the Liberals are good at geography. I was not aware that Wales should be mentioned in a "NORTHERN powerhouse" motion.
username1751857
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nay.

Wales is apparently in Northern England.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can any of the liberals explain why this is a motion and not a bill, it isn't even like you don't have an idiotic bill to copy from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Can any of the liberals explain why this is a motion and not a bill, it isn't even like you don't have an idiotic bill to copy from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a Motion because of the funding element, I believe that public spending decisions have to be made by the government do they not? And all economic policy coming from the opposition has to be as a motion.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
SoggyCabbages CoffeeGeek

We are obviously aware that Wales is not in the north of England, however our Manifesto commitment that referenced funding for these areas also specifically mentioned Wales, in the interests of not appearing hypocritical, we included Wales in this motion to address that, even though the majority of it is in relation to the northern powerhouse (a concept that we as a party are all strongly in favour of.)
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
We are obviously aware that Wales is not in the north of England, however our Manifesto commitment that referenced funding for these areas also specifically mentioned Wales, in the interests of not appearing hypocritical, we included Wales in this motion to address that, even though the majority of it is in relation to the northern powerhouse (a concept that we as a party are all strongly in favour of.)
Wales have their own powerhouse so why didn't you add it in the title?
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a Motion because of the funding element, I believe that public spending decisions have to be made by the government do they not? And all economic policy coming from the opposition has to be as a motion.
Nah, if a Bill passes, it binds the Government. That's what sovereignty is about.
TitanCream
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I like this.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SoggyCabbages)
Nice to know the Liberals are good at geography. I was not aware that Wales should be mentioned in a "NORTHERN powerhouse" motion.
Congratulations! You win at Geography.

Would you have preferred a completely different motion just for Wales?
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoffeeGeek)
Wales have their own powerhouse so why didn't you add it in the title?
He doesn't acknowledge the 'Welsh Powerhouse' because he's a racist.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Point out where in the GD or constitution that is stated.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
Congratulations! You win at Geography.

Would you have preferred a completely different motion just for Wales?
Would've preffered you didn't submit this.
username2585877
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
😂😂

nay
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a motion as it's a lot tidier to do this sort of thing via an SOI rather than a bill
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Other parties may propose economic policy in the way of bills - it's happened in the MHoC in the past at least - but I am grateful that the Liberals have chosen not to tread on our toes as of course the passage of funding bills prior to the release of the government budget will disrupt our plans.

I am wholly in favour of the second paragraph of the motion - it is in line with my own party's manifesto pledge in the last general election. I will need some convincing on the first paragraph though.
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Hear, hear...self-determination and democracy can go **** themselves.

That was sarcasm.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
It's a motion as it's a lot tidier to do this sort of thing via an SOI rather than a bill
The government is not competent to require a referendum via SOI, nor is it competent to delegate legislative authority by SOI. This needs to be done by Bill; you are asking the Government to write a Bill either so you don't have to or because you don't understand parliamentary sovereignty.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wholeheartedly support this motion. Increasing the share of prosperity across Britain and decentralising governance are important goals, and I hope this motion can be supported by the whole House.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (203)
23.47%
Pop (214)
24.74%
Jazz (33)
3.82%
Classical (48)
5.55%
Hip-Hop (166)
19.19%