Hi, just wondering if Oxford University runs any kind fo summer camps? Thanks
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lamide456)
Hi, just wondering if Oxford University runs any kind fo summer camps? Thanks
The University itself runs the UNIQ Summer Schools which are free and open to all Year 12 students in state schools in the UK. As far as I'm aware, this is the only programme that is run directly by the University itself. However, a number of other legitimate organisations use the university facilities (and staff) for their own summer schools. The Engineering Trust runs some of their Headstart summer schools in Oxford (also for Year 12 students, although they are not free for most students) and I think the Sutton Trust might also run a summer school in Oxford for Year 12 students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Then there are a number of private companies that run summer schools in Oxford such as Oxford Royale - I don't know anything about their quality but they are very expensive so personally I can't see how they could be worth it.
Dyscopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
The University itself runs the UNIQ Summer Schools which are free and open to all Year 12 students in state schools in the UK. As far as I'm aware, this is the only programme that is run directly by the University itself. However, a number of other legitimate organisations use the university facilities (and staff) for their own summer schools. The Engineering Trust runs some of their Headstart summer schools in Oxford (also for Year 12 students, although they are not free for most students) and I think the Sutton Trust might also run a summer school in Oxford for Year 12 students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Then there are a number of private companies that run summer schools in Oxford such as Oxford Royale - I don't know anything about their quality but they are very expensive so personally I can't see how they could be worth it.
Might be a little late but I did attend an Oxford Royale summer camp this past summer - I stayed in St Catz for the two weeks. For someone who wants to see whether or not they really like they city and would feel at ease there it'a a great experience. Price is something that makes it a bit ridiculous, as over £4000 are more than a bit.

The course allowed me to study subjects not offered at my school, or areas which aren't covered in such great detail (experimental psychology and medical biology). All of my tutors were educated at Oxford and were either current post-graduate students or teaching (they all had their PhDs - I am aware this does not measure how good someone is in terms of teaching, though they were very competent and were able to explain things thoroughly and easily).
Additionally, whilst i loved staying there and visiting the city, it helped me see that Oxford really wasn't for me - which is very important for someone who considers applying there.

Granted, during the two weeks it was impossible to cover a massive amount of content, but the assignments and workshops definitely kept us busy and entertained - in a good way.

I think if you choose to do the summer course you should do it because a) you want to study a subject you have interest in and would potentially consider it at uni-level b) you want to see whether you like the city/uni or not, and c) you'd like to meet like-minded people and step out of your comfort zone.

I'm not saying that such summer courses are a necessity when applying to Oxford or any university for that matter, but I just thought I'd say that if you have the chance and the funds to attend such school I'd totally recommend you do so - I can only speak for Oxford Royale though (and no, I'm not sponsored :P). I've heard from my friends that other summer schools they attended weren't good at all, hence why here are my 2 cents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads