The Student Room Group

Accountancy- A-levels or apprenticeship

I I am currently doing my GCSEs and am starting to look at my options for further education. I am definitely certain that I would like to become an accountant to ultimately become a CFO , and I would also like to work for one of the "Big 4" companies.

I am unsure as to whether I should do the traditional pathway and go to sixth form and complete a levels or if I should go straight into a foundation apprenticeship.

I have picked a levels ;
Maths
Economics
Government and politics or Religion and ethics

But am not sure as to how they would help me to get onto my career path.

I am honestly confused as to what to do, and would appreciate any advice or help that you would give me.

N x
Typically, you would complete A levels and then do a degree. That degree may or may not offer you some exemptions from the various exams you need to do to become qualified (ACCA, ACA, CIMA etc.). Most people will do these as part of a graduate job, but a number of people choose to complete some or all of the modules (for ACCA typically) on their own. If you fail to secure a training contract then completing some of these modules and becoming "part-qualified" shows willing and can sometimes make you more likely to secure a training contract, though not necessarily at the Big 4.

I have no idea about the apprenticeship, but assuming it would at least teach you the AAT at some level you could use that as a springboard into your chosen career. I don't believe you require a degree to become ACCA qualified, though off the top of my head I can't remember if you do for the others. You would certainly need professional experience for ACA though.

This all said, I think the traditional route would be your best bet for the Big 4, but I only know the bare bones of what is required so hopefully someone else can give you a better answer.

If I still have the power to, I will move your thread to the careers forum where people who know better than I do should see it

Edit: I no longer have that ability so I've asked someone else to do it. No idea how long they will take.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending