Drop out of University? Please Help! Watch

CharlieLEWs1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Bit of background information; I was a pretty much average academically in GCSE’s (9Cs, 1B). I have never had a definitive career path or a direction i want to go in life. Ive had idea’s but somehow always make excuses or change my mind. Anyway, I went on to 6th form, and ended up re-taking a year, as i kinda wasted my first year. After that I got my head down and worked hard, and got better grades than i was expecting, which ended up getting me into university. Although i always thought i wanted to go to University, I’m considering whether it is right/beneficial for me. I study Criminology, which lets be honest is a pretty average degree, and have no idea if i actually want to do anything related to this subject area. I have always been keen on entering the armed forces, and am currently part of the OTC, which i enjoy very much. Although i love this and have seriously considered trying to enter as an officer, i believe i won’t make the cut, and am just not sure if the lifestyle is for me. Im now enetring my second term in my 1st Year at university, and believe i need to make a decision soon, otherwise i feel like I’m just wasting time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Supernova36
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You won't know unless you try, apply !!! There's absolutely no harm in sending off the application x
MadVisionary
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Could do the degree then apply to join as an officer then have the police as a back up plan if that also appeals to you, it's what I'm doing. Planning to do international relations though.
It's worth noting that if you want to apply as an officer then you NEED that degree. A few family members have done it and they said that the non-graduates were typically younger and less respected and even disrespected as a result which can be pretty disastrous if you're leading a team. So if you wanna be an officer, degree is the way to go and I say go for it!
(P.S in case you're ambitious, I believe you can't be promoted past major unless you're a graduate)
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CharlieLEWs1)
Bit of background information; I was a pretty much average academically in GCSE’s (9Cs, 1B). I have never had a definitive career path or a direction i want to go in life. Ive had idea’s but somehow always make excuses or change my mind. Anyway, I went on to 6th form, and ended up re-taking a year, as i kinda wasted my first year. After that I got my head down and worked hard, and got better grades than i was expecting, which ended up getting me into university. Although i always thought i wanted to go to University, I’m considering whether it is right/beneficial for me. I study Criminology, which lets be honest is a pretty average degree, and have no idea if i actually want to do anything related to this subject area. I have always been keen on entering the armed forces, and am currently part of the OTC, which i enjoy very much. Although i love this and have seriously considered trying to enter as an officer, i believe i won’t make the cut, and am just not sure if the lifestyle is for me. Im now enetring my second term in my 1st Year at university, and believe i need to make a decision soon, otherwise i feel like I’m just wasting time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I believe it's highly competitive, but you can enter army officer training without a degree, and study for your degree with their sponsorship:

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/Join-as-an-Officer.aspx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads