The Student Room Group

18 Unis, Which have the best REPUTATION?

Hi, I will be applying to university this year with an Access to HE qualifcation.

Because of this a lot more of my acceptance chances are based on my P.S rather than grades.

Therefore which of these have the best reputation (in your opinions), rather than ranking, for business courses?

You will notice some (such as oxford, cambridge, lse, st andrews) are missing, this is because they do not accept the Access course. Some of the big city unis are also not there (manchester, leeds, newcastle) because I dont want to live in those cities.

Anyway, the list of 18 is below. Very grateful for anyone who picks their top ten or who puts the whole lots in order of reputation.

Andrew

1. Warwick
2. City
3. Bath
4. Lancaster
5. Strathclyde
6. Queens, Belfast
7. Aston
8. Imperial College
9. Loughborough
10. UCL
11. Nottingham
12. York
13. Stirling
14. Kings College London
15. Queen Mary
16. Napier
17. Durham
18. Bangor

Scroll to see replies

ragman_wonder
Hi, I will be applying to university this year with an Access to HE qualifcation.

Because of this a lot more of my acceptance chances are based on my P.S rather than grades.

Therefore which of these have the best reputation (in your opinions), rather than ranking, for business courses?

You will notice some (such as oxford, cambridge, lse, st andrews) are missing, this is because they do not accept the Access course. Some of the big city unis are also not there (manchester, leeds, newcastle) because I dont want to live in those cities.

Anyway, the list of 18 is below. Very grateful for anyone who picks their top ten or who puts the whole lots in order of reputation.

Andrew

1. Warwick
2. City
3. Bath
4. Lancaster

5. Strathclyde
6. Queens, Belfast
7. Aston
8. Imperial College
9. Loughborough
10. UCL
11. Nottingham
12. York

13. Stirling
14. Kings College London
15. Queen Mary

16. Napier
17. Durham
18. Bangor

The ones I've highlighted in bold are the ones with highest reputations on your list.

The best of the bunch would probably be Imperial College although it really depends on what subject you're applying for.
Reply 2
Nottingham - woo!!
Warrior King
The ones I've highlighted in bold are the ones with highest reputations on your list.

The best of the bunch would probably be Imperial College although it really depends on what subject you're applying for.

:dito:

but Bath is the best...(as I have said earlier!:rolleyes: )its the best degree one can get in UK.....LSE and oxbridge are more economics oriented.....and Bath is rank 4, thus, for only Business, its partically the best:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

have a look here: http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php?subject=BUISINESS
Hey, thanks to those who've replied so soon!

Warrior King could you put your bold choices in order?

Hardeep thanks for the link, it's actually where i got the list from but i'd managed to quit the page before favourit-ing it!

According to the Times the ranking order is (times ranking in brackets)

1 Bath (4)
2 Warwick (5)
3 Aston (=6)
4 Nottingham (=6)
5 Lancaster (8)
6 KCL (10)
7 Imperial (11)
8 City (13)
9 Loughborough (16)
10 Strathclyde (18)
11 UCL (30)
12 Stirling (31)
13 Bangor (32)
14 Durham (33)
15 Queens, Belfast (39)
16 York (=45)
17 Queen Mary (50)
18 Napier (65)
Reply 5
Ok here's the top 10 according to me (rough order):
Warwick
Bath
Kings College London
Nottingham
Loughborough
York
Lancaster
UCL
Durham
Imperial College

I've not included City because, despite it's Cass Business School being very good, THE UNDERGRAD DEGREE AT CITY IS IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH CASS. Seriously, people here seem to forget that.
I've put Imperial at 10th because the business department there will soon become part of the university of KENT. That's 90% of its prestige gone.
Now I've put UCL 8th but you need to remember that they don't do just management, you can only study management with a language (i.e. Spanish with Management, which would only be 25% management based) or with a science or as part of their Information Management for Business degree (which actually looks very good and is sponsored by companies like IBM).
Reply 6
hardeep.arora
:dito:

but Bath is the best...(as I have said earlier!:rolleyes: )its the best degree one can get in UK.....LSE and oxbridge are more economics oriented.....and Bath is rank 4, thus, for only Business, its partically the best:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

have a look here: http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/gooduniversityguide.php?subject=BUISINESS

Warwick is better than Bath.
Reply 7
I agree Warwick is better than Bath :smile:

Though Bath's business course is very good.
If we're talking about universities in general then Imperial would appear to rank the highest on the overall rankings. But bearing in mind that Imperial is rather restricted in the range of degrees it offers (i.e. mainly science) then it comes as no surprise that it may not rank so highly in the business subject tables. However givent he choice of all those universities I would certainly pick Imperial because it has a strong reputation in every degree programme it offers requiring grades of like ABB/AAB at least for nearly every programme. I would probably consider Warwick after that.
paddy
Warwick is better than Bath.

Not anymore!!!:p:

Bath ROCKS
hardeep.arora
Not anymore!!!:p:

Bath ROCKS

It ain't even got a medical school or dental school. That can't be a good thing :wink:

joke.
Warrior King
It ain't even got a medical school or dental school. That can't be a good thing :wink:

joke.

:lolz:

but we are talking about Business!!!:p:
hardeep.arora
:lolz:

but we are talking about Business!!!:p:

Have you never seen Goodness Gracious Me? A degree in Medicine is better than absolutely anything you could possibly thing of, end of story.

:wink:
This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1YWv7LC-DI
Warrior King
This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1YWv7LC-DI

lmao
Reply 15
Warrior King
If we're talking about universities in general then Imperial would appear to rank the highest on the overall rankings. But bearing in mind that Imperial is rather restricted in the range of degrees it offers (i.e. mainly science) then it comes as no surprise that it may not rank so highly in the business subject tables. However givent he choice of all those universities I would certainly pick Imperial because it has a strong reputation in every degree programme it offers requiring grades of like ABB/AAB at least for nearly every programme. I would probably consider Warwick after that.

Have you even read up about this? Because you wouldn't be saying Imperial if you had done even a tiny bit of research.
Imperial's Business department is in Wye, a ****hole in the middle of nowhere (aka Kent), and will soon become part of the University of Kent.
Now how does Warwick look? :rolleyes:
ragman_wonder, views are subjective....so, I would suggest that you make your own decision:p:
If you're saying pure business reputation I'd narrow it down to Warwick, Bath, Nottingham, and Aston.

As with UCL and Imperial they definitely have two of the best overall rep out of the list but I thought they don't even offer undergrad business courses? Sorry, I'm not sure what an access course is.

King's and Durham also have good rep but they're not really known for business.

Lancaster apparently has a good business course but as a uni they don't have much of a rep.

Good luck.
Thanks for all the replies :smile:

hardeep- you picked up the exact reason i asked the question. Views are subjective and I was interested to hear other people's.

Paddy - thank you for the info RE: city, UCL and Imperial. I hadnt realised the undergrad degree was unrelated to CASS! Or that UCL wouldnt be as management based as I thought.

Paradiddle man - Access is a course for people who either: messed up A levels, Didnt take A levels, or who are too old to even remember what an a level is! (slightly exagerated but you get the idea) It's an adult education course that is graded in unit points, similar to the IB i believe (not in content, in scoring)

Thanks to everyone else as well, and i look forward to seeing even more of your views!
we are always there to help you out:wink:

and best of luck

Latest

Trending

Trending